went for a cam belt change (1 Viewer)

betterthenatent

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Funster No
Exp
first year
I have taken our 2005 Boxer to the local Peugeot dealer for a cam belt change today. Surprisingly they were the cheapest of the three quotes (£275) After about three quarters of an hour I had a phone call. The service man said that during a routine health check they have discovered two problems. The first was that the brakes are binding. I have put that down to the fact that the motor home hasn't been moved for a month. The second is oil coming from the engine breather. Now we bought the van last August from a south Devon dealer that turned out to have a bad reputation for after sales service ( Amazing how you find out these things after the event) It was only some time later that I realized an icon on the dash was telling me that they had over filled with oil. We went straight around and insisted that they sort it out there and then which they did. So is today's revelation a consequence of that over filling. The Pug dealer has put a amber warning on the fault (Their words) and quoted over a hundred quid to put it right. I am minded to have a go at it my self. Also I presume that the brake binding will go with use. I think it is rust on the disks and drums.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Overfilling an engine with oil CAN do as much harm as underfilling.
If they have charged you £275 for a cambelt change,I would be asking myself how they are going to put a damaged engine right for £100,and WHAT are they going to do for that £100.

Jun 15, 2010
glasgow
Funster No
MH
banger autotrail
Exp
main dealer

typical main dealer robbers.took my boxer petrol to a main dealer in France and got them to change timing belt. took a £100 discovered later the fridge was minus plonk and some scran.:Smile: must have had there dinner break in it

ticktok

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Kent (South Coast)
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
5 Years
I have taken our 2005 Boxer to the local Peugeot dealer for a cam belt change today. Surprisingly they were the cheapest of the three quotes (£275) After about three quarters of an hour I had a phone call. The service man said that during a routine health check they have discovered two problems. The first was that the brakes are binding. I have put that down to the fact that the motor home hasn't been moved for a month. The second is oil coming from the engine breather. Now we bought the van last August from a south Devon dealer that turned out to have a bad reputation for after sales service ( Amazing how you find out these things after the event) It was only some time later that I realized an icon on the dash was telling me that they had over filled with oil. We went straight around and insisted that they sort it out there and then which they did. So is today's revelation a consequence of that over filling. The Pug dealer has put a amber warning on the fault (Their words) and quoted over a hundred quid to put it right. I am minded to have a go at it my self. Also I presume that the brake binding will go with use. I think it is rust on the disks and drums.

Hi,

Your brakes, any rust on the disks or drums should go within a few miles and anyway apart from the first few hundred yards not make the brakes bind significantly so the problem is most probably either the handbrake or wheel cylinders partially seized and will probably get worse with time not better.

The oil problem, you do not say how far you have travelled since the overfilling problem was sorted, but again after a few miles that should not happen. If the garage is quoting you £100 they don’t think the problem is a damaged / worn engine but most probably a blocked or broken breather pipe or filter from the engine to the air cleaner or manifold. It’s worth having a look at all the breather/ vacuum pipes as they can swell up and block if the have a lot of oil laying in them.

Hope this helps a bit.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Our 2003 2.0 litre Ducato has a similar engine. What should a cambelt chage cost, anyone, pl?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The price quoted above is about what you should pay a small independant Garage for a FULL Cambelt AND pulley/tensioner change
That price from a main dealer would have me asking the question have they just changed the belt and NOT the pulley/tensioners:Eeek:
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Our 2003 2.0 litre Ducato has a similar engine. What should a cambelt chage cost, anyone, pl?
Your version should have its belt changed every 4 years or 72000 miles
Your water pump is also driven and should be inspected for noise or roughness, any doubt change water pump too extra £40 :thumb:

OP
OP
B

betterthenatent

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Funster No
Exp
first year
Hi,

Your brakes, any rust on the disks or drums should go within a few miles and anyway apart from the first few hundred yards not make the brakes bind significantly so the problem is most probably either the handbrake or wheel cylinders partially seized and will probably get worse with time not better.

The oil problem, you do not say how far you have travelled since the overfilling problem was sorted, but again after a few miles that should not happen. If the garage is quoting you £100 they don’t think the problem is a damaged / worn engine but most probably a blocked or broken breather pipe or filter from the engine to the air cleaner or manifold. It’s worth having a look at all the breather/ vacuum pipes as they can swell up and block if the have a lot of oil laying in them.

Hope this helps a bit.

When I got the van home I jacked it up. The rear wheels are very stiff. I haven't got a socket big enough to take the drum off and like you say if it was rust they would have cleared after a few miles. I park on level ground so I leave the hand brake off. So I think it is a trip to the garage My local not Peugeot. As for the oil the quote was for replacing the engine breather. There is no suggestion that the engine has been damaged by the over filling. It was just a thought that that may be the cause. We traveled quite a few miles (Torquay to the new Forrest and back) before I realised the significance of the icon on the dash. it only flashed for a second as the ignition was turned on. I havent had any warning lights or engine problems. If It wasn't for Peugeot pointing it out today I probably wouldn't have noticed the oil leek. My problem is I have issues with my local Peugeot dealer as I had a 406 that had a faulty hydraulic clutch and they insisted that it was my driving style that was at fault two clutches in one year that's a lot of riding the clutch pedal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back