Lockside Park ( Ripon) Rip off (1 Viewer)

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi
Just had a weekend in Ripon,really good place for a short weekend break. had a great time,with friends who had turned up in there van to meet us for my Birthday , :thumb: Thanks to you both had a great weekend.

However wouldn't recomend the Lockside caravan park ,the tightest meanest place Ive ever,ever,ever been to ,arrived and the temp Warden didn't have change so said Id drop the money in in about an hour,for both Vans as we were popping out for a meal,I hadnt got back to the Van before the owner had turned up in the rain with a umbrella,and a purse full of loose change,her husband sat in the car until we paid her . We also had to buy cards for the hook up meter £5.00 each what a rip off,I had my fridge on and the charger for my 12V it ran out in under 30hrs ish cant be exactly sure when as it went of during the night. My friend had the 1kw heater and 240v lights on it ran out in under 12 hrs .,I then bought another £1.00 card to make some toast and heat up tomatoes in microwave,0.63p left on meter. Asked Warden for a receipt and how much they were charging per unit still waiting for an answer on both.
Also only one toilet for each,ie male or female,both in a shed ,and I kid you not the single bulb was on a timer :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:,didn't get my zip down and it was off . Also no sink for washing hands, and the one for the pots only had cold water. The only single shower on the site wasn't working,and was locked up l .

Coming back from the pub on an evening ,not a single light was lit on the site,absolutely pitch black,all turned off.:Eeek::Eeek:

I have got to say however ,the site was clean and tidy and in a lovely location.
Link Removed

Last edited:

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
lockside

hi have been there before but never had card for electricity usage hope this isnt going to be the way for electric payment its areal shame but campsitye owners are getting too greedy think some of them charge too much for there sites

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
It is illegal for campsites to make profit on electric meters,they have to charge what it costs them.
Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
There is a button on the meter that allows you to see, the amount left to use in cash, amount fed into the meter since last reset or installation, KWh used, KWh used since meter last reset or installed, the cost charged per unit.

You just press the button and it cycles through the various displays. You need the code to set the meter.

I used £1.38 in a day, the guy next door went through a £5 card overnight. The meter was set at 14p KWh.

I am paying 50 centemos per KWh here in Spain.

John

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Eleven reviews here, you could also submit one .. http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=6688

Dave is correct, sites cannot profiteer from resale of electricity .. bear in mind the site may be paying more per unit than your domestic rate ..

Estimate as accurately as possible how many kWh you used then divide that into the cost of the card ..( 500 p ) .. that will give you the unit rate .. it should be no more than 14p kWh

We were on metered leccy at a CL and it's quite easy to underestimate how much you use.. I fitted an Owl meter and was surprised just how we used in 24hrs.

We were charged 14p kWh .. and used about £3 -£5 per day.. with: Fridge, water heater, 2 x 800w oil heaters , TV and box, kettle, 2 x laptops, ..

cpease

Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
Morley,Leeds up North
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit stealth van
Exp
since June 2006
we have been to this site many times, but the last time we booked ( may ish 2010) we were told the minimum stay was 3 nights not a bank holiday period we paid but have not been back since what a shame because the site is nice & well placed for Ripon town centre which we like very much.

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
It is illegal for campsites to make profit on electric meters,they have to charge what it costs them.
Dave
I hope your right ,but it seems very expensive for the time there and items used. Multiply this amount ie £5.00 into a month and its one hell of a bill ,a lot more than used at home .
Maybe its me but it seems very expensive.:cry:I dont know how to work out unit cost over lets say 30hrs ,like I said in origonal post had fridge on electricity ,plus the 12v system charger to help keep hab batteries topped up as solar panels were charging very slowly as overcast.,used 12v lights and 12v tv ,used gas hob for cups of tea ,plus Truma gas heater for hot water. maybe its just that i'm tight and expect to much??

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
Theres a cracking little CS at Galphay just outside Ripon. Very basic, but a lovely location, and its for nowt (almost!). Theres leccy but nowt else. Its a decent hike into Ripon, so not so good if you arent so good on the pins.

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Ripon

we have been to this site many times, but the last time we booked ( may ish 2010) we were told the minimum stay was 3 nights not a bank holiday period we paid but have not been back since what a shame because the site is nice & well placed for ripon town centre which we like very much.

ripon racecourse is just other side of lockside canal and only 10 min walk to town centre camping and caravan club often have rallies there and use of the club been many times thinking of going soon

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Worth considering...
Do you actually need a hook up ?
We ( as in woman and I ) LIKE to be on hookup but can go at the very least a week without it.

Most modern vans will certainly do 2 or 3 days with out such luxuries as solar panels and extra batteries

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Worth considering...
Do you actually need a hook up ?
We ( as in woman and I ) LIKE to be on hookup but can go at the very least a week without it.

Most modern vans will certainly do 2 or 3 days with out such luxuries as solar panels and extra batteries
Your so right really we have loads of battery power and solar panels,its just we had company and were sharing cooking etc and it was nice to use microwave etc.

Like I said ,it is a nice site if you are not going to use electric ,and the toilets are very basic but usable ,I think when full it would be a problem,no shower well we could use the van ,but we paid for it but it was locked up and unusable . The electric cards I wont take back my comment I do think they are expensive and a rip off but once again you are not forced to purchase:Blush::Blush:. Alan

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
ripon racecourse is just other side of lockside canal and only 10 min walk to town centre camping and caravan club often have rallies there and use of the club been many times thinking of going soon
Do go ,we enjoyed Ripon very much and as I have said the camp is pleasant and clean and tidy But I would be very frugal if using the electricity cards ..Did they have the electric cards when you were last there ?? and what did you think of the facility's ect ? Have I exaggerated ,please let me know when you get back from your visit. Alan

Last edited:
OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Eleven reviews here, you could also submit one .. http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=6688

Dave is correct, sites cannot profiteer from resale of electricity .. bear in mind the site may be paying more per unit than your domestic rate ..

Estimate as accurately as possible how many kWh you used then divide that into the cost of the card ..( 500 p ) .. that will give you the unit rate .. it should be no more than 14p kWh

We were on metered leccy at a CL and it's quite easy to underestimate how much you use.. I fitted an Owl meter and was surprised just how we used in 24hrs.

We were charged 14p kWh .. and used about £3 -£5 per day.. with: Fridge, water heater, 2 x 800w oil heaters , TV and box, kettle, 2 x laptops, ..
Hi Jim, I have followed the link to the site and left a review much the same as here really ,I do agree the commercial electricity rate is around 15p per kw . But I honestly just had the fridge and 12v charger on constant and cant work out why it went so quickly ,we used the microwave once for breakfast on Sunday morning but put another £1.00 for that . On hindsight I could of just used facilities on board the Van as I have everything I need ,but I thought a fiver for the weekend wasn't bad for the convenience!! But as per my complaint it didn't work out that way.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim, I have followed the link to the site and left a review much the same as here really ,I do agree the commercial electricity rate is around 15p per kw . But I honestly just had the fridge and 12v charger on constant and cant work out why it went so quickly ,we used the microwave once for breakfast on Sunday morning but put another £1.00 for that . On hindsight I could of just used facilities on board the Van as I have everything I need ,but I thought a fiver for the weekend wasn't bad for the convenience!! But as per my complaint it didn't work out that way.

Hi

On the face of it and having looked at what you said you were using it looks very much like you were paying more than 15p kWh .. but that is only an opinion, unfortunately you/we have no proof ..

Meters are not common in the UK, but I think we will see more of them as the cost of leccy rises. Personally I think they are a good idea provided they are set at the correct rate..

The lesson we can all learn is to ask what the rate is and double check on the meter before buying .. As John said earlier, you can look at the meter and key through the menu to see what rate is being applied ..

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
As I mentioned in my reply to your earlier post Alcorn54 (before you went to Ripon) I can recommend Parkside CS on the other side of town. It is next to a commercial campsite, but that is well screened by trees. There is also a rally field next to it, but that has always been empty when we have visited. The rates are better than your experience and the owner, Mr. Longster, is a nice man. If you want EHU it is a flat rate. I cannot remember exactly, but I think it is either £7 or £8 without EHU and £9 or £10 with. No shower or toilet facilities - it is a simple CS. Plenty of hard standing - access is probably a bit tight for a big RV.
Coordinates are: 54.133453, -1.54593
and here is a link to Google maps: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=54.133466,-1.545253&spn=0.003702,0.009087&t=h&z=17

You will see the site between the rally field on the left and some farm buildings on the right. Contact details are in the C&CC site finder or Big Sites Book.

Philip

p.s. please don't all rush to book it up - it's one of our favourite spots!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back