Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
A few Funsters have them Jim. Have been thinking about getting one myself.

Link Removed

Brisey

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
must be good Jim...everyone who has one wont shut up about it :Doh:

similar 'utility' on my 'blue sky' solar controller LCD screen, but only shows whats in the battery and whats going in.

does it for me. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
similar 'utility' on my 'blue sky' solar controller LCD screen, but only shows whats in the battery and whats going in.

does it for me. :thumb:

Jim, My Morningstar Prostar Solar controller also tells me the batteries power level and what is being produced by the solar panels, but I'd also like a Nasa BM1 as this device also tells you what power is going OUT of your batteries. :Smile:

Why would I want to know that I here you ask?

Okay its late Feb and we are in Spain and getting good readings of power input from the 3x 125watt solar panels but is that enough to replace the power going out?

I can tilt my solar panels to get even more power but do I need to as the sun continues climbing higher each day?

Mick

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
why do I need to know ?

I've never understood the 'need to know' .. when or if they go flat you put the gennie on.. ::bigsmile: i
It's not 'mission critical ' .. and if you really must know, a simple check with a DVM tells you the state of charge.

so, sell one to me , why would I need one ?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
great bit of kit

It is a great bit of kit Jim.. some may call them toys, but they do what they say on the tin.

We have had ours now fitted for two years and it works great.

I can tell how many amps are going in to the batteries, what draw I am taking down. Percentage of charge left and even time to recharge.. it is like a mini computer and very easy to use and set up. Placed on the wall of the RV it is a case of just reading the gauge and has a back light if needed.. 4 buttons tells you everything you need to know.. much better than the one supplied as part of my Winnibago system.

Purchased mine and had it fitted by VanBitz and it is one of the best bit of kit I have ever purchased.. was recommened to buy it by Nick of VanBitz.. thought it was a sales pitch..how wrong... he was 100% right.. he has his own motorhome and beleive me it does allow you to fully see what the system is doing.

Recommended

Bob:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
perhaps to keep an appointment?

Jim, why do you wear a watch? Go to bed when it gets dark::bigsmile:

So you perhaps can tell the time you need to be somewhere?

But the NASA unit allowes you to know just how much left in the batteries... means I can judge when I need to use the genny and recharge the system or if the engine battery is kicking in excess charge to the domestic system.

Wonderful to see just how many amps you are pulling when you use normal bulbs and the differance when LED are in play.

Have a look at mine at Newark if in doubt.. I am sure yolu will then see the merits.

Bob:Blush:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jim, why do you wear a watch? Go to bed when it gets dark::bigsmile:

I don't wear a watch... ::bigsmile:

and I'm still not convinced :winky:

It's like a modern car ... why do I need to know all engine parameters...
all I need is a fuel gauge and a speedo ... the way it used to be :RollEyes:

toys for the boys ? .. not a good enough reason

KISS principle

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have one fitted
fully understand Scot Jim's logic but why wear a watch you could ask anyone the time :Cool:
Convenient /constant monitoring of the 12 V system at a glance
Great bit of kit tells you every thing volt meter will without all the hassle:thumb:
Once installed no electrical expertise reqd
And Johns right you dont shut up about them after all you have to justify the expence
Many post banter on about RV heating useing about 10 amps
8.3amps in my case Jim:winky: and if it starts using more i'll know and investigate:thumb:
Geo

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
fully agree we can spot the drain as soon as it happens

I have one fitted
fully understand Scot Jim's logic but why wear a watch you could ask anyone the time :Cool:
Convenient /constant monitoring of the 12 V system at a glance
Great bit of kit tells you every thing volt meter will without all the hassle:thumb:
Once installed no electrical expertise reqd
And Johns right you dont shut up about them after all you have to justify the expence
Many post banter on about RV heating useing about 10 amps
8.3amps in my case Jim:winky: and if it starts using more i'll know and investigate:thumb:
Geo

Think of it as the speedo.. you do not need it Jim to drive a car or motorhome.. but it helps you judge the stopping distance as you brake.

The NASA does the same it tells me what the batteries on the RV are doing at any given time. easy to use once set up.. I can just glance at the reasonable size screen and see what power is being used at that time.. as said when the heating has kicked in I know what drain there is to the batteries also how long I can continue the use of the equipment without using the genny. It also shows the charge rates when on hookup.

So yes I am sold 100%.. it is one of the cheaper toys I have on the RV.. but then I find the Sterling pure sinewave invertor to be a fantastic bit of kit as well (1500 watts).

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I don't wear a watch... ::bigsmile:

and I'm still not convinced :winky:

It's like a modern car ... why do I need to know all engine parameters...
all I need is a fuel gauge and a speedo ... the way it used to be :RollEyes:

toys for the boys ? .. not a good enough reason

KISS principal

You might not wear one but I bet you look at a clock or two every day ::bigsmile: Anyway why do you need a fuel guage, you know your mpg, and you know how much fuel you put in the tank. ::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I know what drain there is to the batteries also how long I can continue the use of the equipment without using the genny.

Since battery capacity is a moving target due to aging and temperature I wonder how accurate it is or are you kidding yourself ?

If it's clever and you let your batteries dip to minimum some decent software could estimate the capacity, though I doubt it knows the temperature of the batteries.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
SOLD ..

I'd no idea I needed one all these years .. wonder how I managed ?

bring on the boys toys :thumb:

On a serious note..

If you want a 'proper' toy invest in a Victron charger/inverter .. in my opinion the very best system for an RV .. but you do need deep pockets :Sad:
http://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/easyplus-12v-24v-48v-1600va/

a multifunctional energy system consisting of a powerful sinewave inverter, a sophisticated battery charger, a high speed AC transfer switch and AC distribution in a single light weight and
compact enclosure. The system has been designed for those who want to enjoy the comfort and freedom of a complete energy system without spending time on the installation of separate components and difficult technical procedures.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
you set the temp at start up

Since battery capacity is a moving target due to aging and temperature I wonder how accurate it is or are you kidding yourself ?

If it's clever and you let your batteries dip to minimum some decent software could estimate the capacity, though I doubt it knows the temperature of the batteries.

You set the temperature at the start up of the unit and that works out from there on.

It seems to be fairly on the ball given the age issues of the batteries (new 18 months ago).. it is a guide at best and as such is better than no guide. On an RV we have (lots of toys) equipment and that means lots of power use so anything that helps is worth it's weight in gold if it does as it should.

We all (nearly all) use saterlites these days, this to me is on par with that.. ok I carry a map as well, but i do use the saterlite to confirm my route and read out the speed I am doing etc., so the NASA is another bit of gear that makes my life easier... I accept it is not for everyone or some that can drive with no speedo or fuel gauge would want one. But to answer Jims question, yes it does work.

Cannot say more than that.. anyway off for a late breakfast now.

Bob :thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we use the sterling invertor

On a serious note..

If you want a 'proper' toy invest in a Victron charger/inverter .. in my opinion the very best system for an RV .. but you do need deep pockets :Sad:
http://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/easyplus-12v-24v-48v-1600va/

a multifunctional energy system consisting of a powerful sinewave inverter, a sophisticated battery charger, a high speed AC transfer switch and AC distribution in a single light weight and
compact enclosure. The system has been designed for those who want to enjoy the comfort and freedom of a complete energy system without spending time on the installation of separate components and difficult technical procedures.

Sounds a lot like the Sterling pure sinewave we have (1500 Watt).. only issue is it is an expensive bit of kit designed for the marine industry.. but is fantastic on an RV.. highly recommended.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Sounds a lot like the Sterling pure sinewave we have (1500 Watt).. only issue is it is an expensive bit of kit designed for the marine industry.. but is fantastic on an RV.. highly recommended.

Sterling make great kit Bob , but the Victron ( also designed for a marine environment) is a lot more than just a charger/inverter .. it's a complete energy managment system !
It's a serious bit of kit, not a toy .. I was fortunate and bought mine second hand for a fraction of the retail price.,.,

The Phoenix EasyPlus is connected to the batteries and to the shore power or generator. The maximum available generator or shore current is set using the dial on the control panel.
The output consumers are divided into two groups. The first group consists of the ‘regular’, low or short term power users such as sockets or kitchen
equipment. This group can be fed from both shore/generator and battery power via the inverter. The second group is the ‘heavy user’ circuit. This can be a water heater or the air-conditioning. In order to protect the batteries from excessive discharge, this group is shore/generator-only and cannot be supplied when the inverter is functioning. Unique PowerAssist® technology protects the shore or generator from being overloaded by adding extra inverter power when needed.

.. if interested read Victron literature ..

Link Removed

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sterling make great kit Bob , but the Victron ( also designed for a marine environment) is a lot more than just a charger/inverter .. it's a complete energy managment system !
It's a serious bit of kit, not a toy .. I was fortunate and bought mine second hand for a fraction of the retail price.,.,

.. if interested read Victron literature ..

Link Removed
Are not all the functions of a Victron doable manually:RollEyes:

I've never understood the 'need to know' .. when or if they go flat you put the gennie on.. ::bigsmile: i
It's not 'mission critical ' .. and if you really must know, a simple check with a DVM tells you the state of charge.

Dont mind if I borrow your reply do you Jim:winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Are not all the functions of a Victron doable manually:RollEyes:

Dont mind if I borrow your reply do you Jim:winky:

First question Geo .. No .. you cannot do manually what the Victron does automatically, its not the same as an automatic gear box .. :roflmto: Read the pdf .

I couldn't justify buying a new one.. but a second hand one came along at the time I was looking to replace the yank charger/power supply unit .. you don't look a gift horse in the mouth .. :winky:

So, if you have the dosh sloshing about in the garage pit, and want the very best charger/inverter power management system .. look no further .. otherwise, play with the NASA BM1 .

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Link Removed
this controller displays in rotation, Battery charge state, load, and current charge rate. The BM1 merely monitors it does not control or regulate anything.
the LCD is small drawing minimal current and has over charge and over discharge battery protection for half the price of the NASA BM1. Am I missing something?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
The NASA does not control anything...

Link Removed
this controller displays in rotation, Battery charge state, load, and current charge rate. The BM1 merely monitors it does not control or regulate anything.
the LCD is small drawing minimal current and has over charge and over discharge battery protection for half the price of the NASA BM1. Am I missing something?

Hi Roger,

The NASA is just a monitor of the battery state .. The work is still done by the Sterling ( in my case ) or the shore power via the Sterling or the Genny ..same way... Or if you want the vehicles alternator.

It just gives you a read out of charge / discharge.. Volts in / out and amps, it also works out how many hours left on the batteries, changing as you put load on or take it off as the case may be.

A convenient all in one place bit of kit. I am sure there are other items onthe market that can be used to do the same job.. But answering Jim's post yes it is good.. But one mans meat is smothers poison...

What is best for you is the right answer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back