Free Member
May 3, 2010
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8/5/2010
As I am new to all this, only had less than 12months experience @ MH.
So I am always collecting all your tips & experience. Got told this today :Eeek:
I took my car to my garage today for a check over a noise I have, anyway
he is also a seasoned MH, when I went back to pick it up I asked him when his next trip in his MH was, he told me he had not been to it for a while, so went to check it out , when he heard an alarm going off inside.
Upon opening the door he was hit by a toxic fumes that near sent him to the floor.
When he eventually got in he noticed all the brass knobs where black & the units & lockers had gone dull, also when he sat down on the cushions they stuck to him & all the covers where just disintergrating when touched.
He said it is always plugged into the mains & the batteries had overcharged & leaked.
This is not an alarmest thread just something I am adding.
I am sure some of you will be more enlightened than myself about this.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This is not an alarmest thread just something I am adding.

It certainly is. You've just scared half of FUN to death.

Two faults had occurred.

1. His battery charger malfunctioned or it was an old non electronic one.
2. His batteries were not correctly mounted.

Ours has been plugged in for 4 years, no problem.
Batteries should have vent tubes to the outside to carry any gasses there. They should not be able to vent into the habitation area.

It is perfectly normal and safe to leave your batteries on charge with a modern electronic charger.

Mind you, this is a timely warning to all those who fit extra batteries any old how or even replace batteries and say "Where does this tube go". Not a lot most people can do about a faulty charger except keep the insurance up, those with voltmeters can do an occasional test to make sure the batteries are not above 14.5V. Trouble is if a charger fails in overcharging mode ( quite unlikely ) the battery will be dead in hours rather than weeks.

If inside you can hear a battery on serious charge, if it's quiet you can hear the bubbling. Our charger does this occasionally to keep the electrodes in best condition. I need to top it up about every two months.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
What is the best practice here? I never leave mine on hook up. I know a modern charger won't boil my batteries, but with the battery switch thrown, they are not going anywhere and will hold the charge for months if need be. I just don't see the point in having the charger plugged in and tickling the batteries every day, what am I missing?

But I have had a roof full of solar for 10 years, so I suppose in sunny Wales they a being charged continually anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I am now seriousy worried
does this only happen to Garage Owners:Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but with the battery switch thrown.

There is the crunch.

So much electronics these days, you've read countless messages "I went to the van it would not start". About 3 weeks seems a common time with the newer vans.

Throw that switch ( which often does not exist ) and you might have no alarm.

So, yes, if you are lucky enough to be able to throw that switch do so otherwise leave it on float charge. I'm not sure but maybe a battery lasts longer if kept at float charge voltage.

As I have said before, I've a bike with alarm that has been on charge for over 5 years. The MH has been on charge for the 4 years we've had it and the 8 year old German leisure battery is still delivering the goods.

OP
OP
Doddy999

Doddy999

Free Member
May 3, 2010
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8/5/2010
Is this another of your "fun" threads?

:Confused: This was put up just really to remind people to keep there alarms serviced.
Hate to think of someone asleep if this happened.
Although it wont happen to Brian & only garage owners need worry :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back