Fridge not working when driving Warm Beer Problem! (1 Viewer)

Jan 9, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Swift 685
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hi I have me a swift 685 and the Fridge (Dometic series 9) does not work when I am driving - it’s fine on EHU
According to the manual the DC power supply is not available or insufficient. I have assumed given that the unit has an error message (flashing symbols and a buzzer) that it has power but not sufficient power. There is a real risk when I arrive in Oban tomorrow my beer will be warm 😩Any advice that will help the fridge work whilst travelling will be much appreciated

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I have no idea what you just said but you have my heartfelt sympathies for your beer issue.

The fridge is not likely to get cold from working off 12 volt. It will keep the fridge at the same temperature. Make sure temperature is correct for chilled beer before leaving and the 12 volt will keep it at level for perfect refreshments upon arrival.

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
The fridge will have power to the control panel, but requires a D+ Power signal (engine running) to allow the power to heat the fridge element.

This is to prevent the fridge to run off 12v and flatten the battery without being charged from the alternator.

Check the fuse for the D+ {alternator engine running supply Signal) or simulated D+ ( form your control panel) depending how it’s wired.

As mentioned above the 12v ‘usually‘ only manages to maintain temperature. Try running It on gas (If you stop off on route) to get the temperature down.

To avoid potential disaster.....stop off at a local off licence close to your destination and get enough chilled emergency rations to last till the fridge is hooked up and fully operational with your supplies down to their optimal temperature...👍🏼

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Presume you chill the fridge on 240v or gas before travelling first.
Could be a fuse or the relay has packed up on the back of the fridge easy to change, 5 min job.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Presume you chill the fridge on 240v or gas before travelling first.
Could be a fuse or the relay has packed up on the back of the fridge easy to change, 5 min job.
Chilling the fridge before leaving in order to arrive with chilled beer is on page 1 of the male motorhomers guide to survival book. Use gas or electric for a few hours to save disaster occurring

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Put a couple of cool blocks, or frozen food in the fridge compartment, with your already cool beer.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
There are two 12V supplies to a fridge. The low-power supply comes from the leisure battery, and powers the control board and gas ignition. The fridge works off gas and EHU so the low-power supply must be OK.

The high power supply comes from the starter battery/alternator and powers the 12V heater element which causes cooling .

There is usually a separate fuse (20A), often located near the starter battery. There is a 'fridge relay' that switches the heater element power when the engine is running. The relay is switched by the 'D+' signal from the alternator, in much the same way that the split charge relay switches to charge the leisure battery when the engine is running.

Usually the fault is a fuse or bad connection somewhere. If not, it could be a faulty relay, missing D+ signal, or if you're very unlucky, a faulty 12V heater element.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have no idea what you just said but you have my heartfelt sympathies for your beer issue.

The fridge is not likely to get cold from working off 12 volt. It will keep the fridge at the same temperature. Make sure temperature is correct for chilled beer before leaving and the 12 volt will keep it at level for perfect refreshments upon arrival.
That is not correct the fridges work quite well on 12 volts these days and have thermostat control. They have been like that for about 15 years.
The older fridges had smaller 12v elements and no temperature control.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back