My motorhome is in Spain MOT Due to expire Help (1 Viewer)

Skyblue3491

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Renault Luner
Exp
10 Years
My 6.3 m motorhome is in Valencia province Spain, my MOT runs out 20/08/20 . I am in Australia, with no flights to UK until further notice, because of COVID 19
I was due to fly back to UK 22/04/20 but all flights stopped. Any Suggestions?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
No friend or relative to drive it to the UK for you?

Upvote 0
Jul 10, 2020
North East England
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tribute
Exp
No chance of it been extended due to Covid, the one I am in the process of buying the MOT was due in June, that has been extended till November. (Hopefully it won't need another extension!!!)

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Mot extensions have stopped. Have you thought of having it shipped back. You could look on website like return loads. There might be a step frame trailer looking to make up a load returning to the uk. If you deduct off the costs of fuel, ferries, and flights to get it yourself, the costs might not be so bad.

Upvote 0
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Not much you can do. Like Northernraider says, book it in as soon as you know you will be back and that will keep you legal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Mot extensions have stopped. Have you thought of having it shipped back. You could look on website like return loads. There might be a step frame trailer looking to make up a load returning to the uk. If you deduct off the costs of fuel, ferries, and flights to get it yourself, the costs might not be so bad.

Yes too late, by 20 days, for an extension unfortunately.

Ian

Upvote 0

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Driving to a pre booked appointment for an MOT across Europe is an interesting concept, one I would not rely on. My first port of call would be DVSA local VE Then my insurance company for a view.
A DVSA officer has no authority in Europe thus his only concern would be when you land on UK soil, however nation states in-between may have an alternative view.
Check insurance etc.
Might be worth investigating a test in the country being visited on the VIN number, I have no idea about Spain however worth investigating

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Can you get it done in Spain, when you finally get there, at an ITV then drive it back for an MOT here?

Upvote 0

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Driving to a pre booked appointment for an MOT across Europe is an interesting concept, one I would not rely on. My first port of call would be DVSA local VE Then my insurance company for a view.
A DVSA officer has no authority in Europe thus his only concern would be when you land on UK soil, however nation states in-between may have an alternative view.
Check insurance etc.
Might be worth investigating a test in the country being visited on the VIN number, I have no idea about Spain however worth investigating

A Spanish ITV, although they will do a test and issue a document, has absolutely no legality on a foreign registered vehicle.

A vehicle has to be legal in the country of registration.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
When you do get back as long as its booked in for mot in uk you can drive it back. Will still be insured

With the restriction that one cannot drive it from say, Portsmouth or Dover to say Carlisle.

One has to find a 'Local' MOT Centre. I don't mean just 'around the corner' from the Port of Entry but don't take the mick (other words are available)

Upvote 0

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
<Broken link removed>

This thread included a self arranged recovery, the photo of the truck has contact details. Perhaps contact member if interested.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We totally missed an MOT a couple of years ago, only realised when I pulled out old certificate to check the date. It had expired 11 months earlier

I would say just drive it back to U.K. as soon as you can, I guess the only real issue would be a breakdown or accident

but if you advise your insurers of the situation they may cover the risk, if they don’t I guess only option would be recovery, maybe just to Bilbao though then bring it back yourself on the ferry

Upvote 0

Deleted User
I think I’d be tempted to book it in for a Uk test (which would satisfy your insurers) and drive it back myself. The chances of being stopped are extremely low, and the chances of the cops fully understanding UK docs even lower.

Obviously I’d not recommend you breaking the law though ;)

Oh and if your van looks like this, I’d not risk it :LOL:

6C293B0C-3ADD-4E0C-9922-2703037F438F.jpeg

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
With the restriction that one cannot drive it from say, Portsmouth or Dover to say Carlisle.

One has to find a 'Local' MOT Centre. I don't mean just 'around the corner' from the Port of Entry but don't take the mick (other words are available)

I thought it was OK as long as it was basically roadworthy and you had a relationship with the garage (i.e. you could prove you always used it).

Whilst technically illegal, you'd have to be quite unlucky to pulled up on no-MOT in Spain or France. When I've been pulled, they've been largely interested in driving licences and, occasionally, insurance.

Your main issue is if your tax runs out and can't be renewed because of lack of MOT, although even that is less bad than it used to be, because there is no longer a tax disc that the foriegn police can notice to be out of date. However, you'd have to SORN and your insurance company might baulk at this.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
I looked into the problem of expired MOT and insurance, mine is a Markerstudy policy and looking at the full policy online it says that basically only 3rd party cover would apply.

The policy document also states that the policy does not cover the driving of other vehicles whereas the Insurance Certificate says that the policyholder can, I have yet to receive a reply from the broker.

It is not a problem for me now as we returned to the UK early, partly to get the MOT done before the 14th August.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
I thought it was OK as long as it was basically roadworthy and you had a relationship with the garage (i.e. you could prove you always used it).

Whilst technically illegal, you'd have to be quite unlucky to pulled up on no-MOT in Spain or France. When I've been pulled, they've been largely interested in driving licences and, occasionally, insurance.

Your main issue is if your tax runs out and can't be renewed because of lack of MOT, although even that is less bad than it used to be, because there is no longer a tax disc that the foriegn police can notice to be out of date. However, you'd have to SORN and your insurance company might baulk at this.

The tax is a good point, would be a good idea to tax it now (before MOT expires) giving you a full year to get it back and insured.

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
You could take a chance, but if your caught it could be taken to a compound and stored until you organise someone to transport it back home, after the fine and storage fees are paid of course. 😩 Bob.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
So, no indirect flights from Oz to Spain? Why would you need to fly back to the UK first? (Is that where the MH key is kept but could you not get a relative to Fedex it to you?)

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
It would be cheaper to forward the key to someone, pay them to fly to Spain from the UK and drive the van,thry france to the UK for its mot so not quarantining
You had the opportunity to fly from Australia in June or July but must have put that off. Now you sadly have "missed the boat" and cutting it fine.
Best of luck (y)

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I looked into the problem of expired MOT and insurance, mine is a Markerstudy policy and looking at the full policy online it says that basically only 3rd party cover would apply.

The policy document also states that the policy does not cover the driving of other vehicles whereas the Insurance Certificate says that the policyholder can, I have yet to receive a reply from the broker.

It is not a problem for me now as we returned to the UK early, partly to get the MOT done before the 14th August.
Yep you are always covered 3rd party regardless.

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Surely someone could drive it back,worth a try to put an advert in an expat paper, for someone wanting to come back.

It can't be on the road.
I assume worse case scenario, it could be impounded and crushed by european police.
Only answer is get it taken on vehicle transporter to uk garage who will mot and store.
Lots of companies advertising one way. This was happening all through lockdown.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Probably get away driving across France & Spain if you don't mind risking it on 3rd party insurance. Not so easy in the UK as nearly every cop car has an ANPR camera, even so fines are small for no MOT but could get expensive if the tax has run out.

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
there are loads of vehicles (overlanders ) etc running about with expired Mot in Europe , I have never heard over many years of anyone having problems , as prev poster , usually they only look at DL and ins if road check ( quite rare in its self) . vehicle being in a roadworthy condition is far more important . Same as here having a current mot counts for nothing if you have a bald tyre . :)

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
there are loads of vehicles (overlanders ) etc running about with expired Mot in Europe , I have never heard over many years of anyone having problems , as prev poster , usually they only look at DL and ins if road check ( quite rare in its self) . vehicle being in a roadworthy condition is far more important . Same as here having a current mot counts for nothing if you have a bald tyre . :)
I have driven our MH form S. Poland to port and Dover to Broadstairs for pre-booked MOT.

Anyway I think it would have to be the most hard-hearted Flic who would do you for no MOT in France, even if there is a law that they can?

[Bad luck on missing the MOT extension by 20 days. Mine crept in on last day, 31st July.]

Geoff

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back