Should we travel abroad in the motorhome. (1 Viewer)

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We gave been travelling in the UK since the 4th July using sites and cl/cs.
The ferry is booked Dover to Calais 21st August.
Should we go or should we stay.
Not even sure we could get bookings in the UK now.
The other choice is france turn left or turn right i.e 🇩🇪 or 🇪🇸 or stick to 🇫🇷. We really are unsure. Don't need to be back into the UK till the end of October.

Deleted User
The other choice is france turn left or turn right i.e 🇩🇪 or 🇪🇸 or stick to 🇫🇷. We really are unsure. Don't need to be back into the UK till the end of October.

If you need to be back then you will be taking a risk, who knows what the situation will be in October especially with this lot changing the rules with 3 hours notice!
Having somewhere in the UK to quarantine could be the least of your worries.
We are off back to France and then Portugal on the 10th August but we have no urgent need to be back until next August.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sunnyb

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer Van 572
Exp
Since 2012
We have a crossing booked for the end of August, planning to head for the Strasbourg area. Just over a week as we are both still working (from home so no problem with quarantine). We plan to keep an eye on the numbers and if it looks ok we will go but accept the risk that we may have to come back at short notice. If the numbers in France look to be getting worse then we will probably bail and look for somewhere in a quiet part of the UK. London maybe?:LOL: We booked the crossing just over a week ago - if we had known that the goalposts would be moved at such very short notice then we wouldn't have booked but c'est la vie. Not sure what will happen in terms of getting a refund/vouchers from P&O - I expect that will depend on the FCO advice for France at the time.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I would do it, turn right and into south of Germany, Black Forest OR, south east of France. If things change for worst, it’s a straight run back. If things takes a positive turn, you got options to continue till October.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
We are booked 16th Sept visiting / touring middle France , 3 weeks , rural aires & only visiting supermarkets & boulangeries with masks , keeping ourselves too our selves as much as poss , but will be sociable to everyone we meet , prepared to return if nessacary , no problem with self isolating .

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Just do it we was locked down in Spain and as others bolted for home and struggled changing crossing etc ,we calmly isolated in the campsite and then when ready changed the tunnel and easy ride home. You will always get home while in central europe ,if in Turkey or Morocco might be different. Enjoy .

Ironside

Free Member
Sep 17, 2016
Warwick
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano 695G
Exp
Since 2016
F1214CB0-9460-4CAC-864B-7C6982F113E9.jpeg

I wouldn’t bother it’s so overcrowded and they have an ice cream shortage in Portugal 😁

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Plans are changing all the time, but as i have 28 days off from end of August we can do France for 14 and then another country (if necessary) that isnt on the naughty list.
We wont be making our minds up til the last minute but if Germany and France are both naughty then UK it is. (or Austria or Italy)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I wouldn't go personally. We have no idea what this virus is going to do next but it's not going away. I don't want to be ill abroad, we tried that last year and it's dire being ill in a country where you don't really speak the language. I wouldn't travel without medical insurance but then we both have health problems already.

I definitely don't want to wear a mask, whenever I go somewhere. I know the regulations differ depending on which country you're in.

I'm not keen on the idea of having a break down at the best of times but it could be potentially tricky at present. Our friends wrote off their motorhome last year, in Spain. They were taken to hospital and were okay but very shaken. They had to book into a hotel and book flights home. It was horrible for them but imagine it happening now. We usually have the Red Pennant insurance, which includes repatriation of the vehicle and the dog. That level of insurance isn't available at present.

Finally, if I had to come home it could be difficult to get a ferry crossing or tunnel booking. I would also be concerned about getting an appointment with a vet. During lockdown, the vets here were only open for emergencies.

We cancelled our ferry for the 31st August. We're content to have a week here and there in the UK. We're off to a quiet CL farm site tomorrow.

Last edited:

Deleted User
Waiting for the much delayed house sale to complete, then we’re off.

Was going to swap the van, but that’s all gone a bit pear shaped, so looking to full time in the old PVC until something takes our fancy.

As for the continent, if you take the same precautions as here, then why not just go for it?

You only live the once :giggle: :giggle:

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We have just returned from 10 days in northern France. Just a short trip to 'test the waters'.
Plenty of space on aires to separate from others, SD in the village and shops and everyone wore face coverings in shops.
My biggest concern had been how to keep distanced at the very small but busy boulangerie in the morning. I needn’t have worried, everyone waited outside until a customer came out then one out, one in. Payment, even for just a baguette was by contactless card.
In 10 days I never handled cash, it was all CC.
We felt very safe and hope to go back for a much longer trip in September.

Just take care, keep well away from large and busy towns and you should be fine.

Richard.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Just do it we was locked down in Spain and as others bolted for home and struggled changing crossing etc ,we calmly isolated in the campsite and then when ready changed the tunnel and easy ride home. You will always get home while in central europe ,if in Turkey or Morocco might be different. Enjoy .
Thats what we did! Twin Lakes near Bordeaux! Got back start of July.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If you need to be back then you will be taking a risk, who knows what the situation will be in October especially with this lot changing the rules with 3 hours notice!
Having somewhere in the UK to quarantine could be the least of your worries.
We are off back to France and then Portugal on the 10th August but we have no urgent need to be back until next August.
They are changing the rules because it is needed not just because they feel like it..Think yourself lucky you don't live in some country that cares nothing for its public,,Brazil etc..BUSBY.

Deleted User
They are changing the rules because it is needed not just because they feel like it..Think yourself lucky you don't live in some country that cares nothing for its public,,Brazil etc..BUSBY.

A little bit of forward planning might help!
I know things are changing but 3 hours notice!!

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Do it, stop overnight in Gouda on the park America and enjoy the town and a meal, next day travel to the Mohne Dam in Germany ( yes that one) fantastic location and great aire/stellplatz then follow the romantic road down the bitter end! Every town or village seems to have a stellplatz for a few euros if not free a night! Then either turn left and come back through Austria, Czech and Poland to the Baltic, loads of history or turn right and follow the Med to eventually Alicante area , loads of great ( and very bad, use this forum to check) sites . Have a comfortable winter in comparative warmth , make some great friends and really piss off those. of us who can't do it due to having to work! As regards the virus, just be sensible and wash, sanitise and whatever you do do not have a coughing fit!

Dec 2, 2013
West Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Back after a 3 year break.
I've been in France since June 30th . I'm in The Vosges. Masks compulsory in shops/stores and everyone abiding. Not done much travelling since arriving , but not heard an English voice or UK registered vehicle in a month. Bizarre ! Few motorhomes on the roads .

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
If you feel it's the right thing for you then do it, we're currently on the Moselle, and to be honest, people are the friendliest we've ever seen, both here & in Belgium, SD is in place & observed in restaurants & bars. It's pretty busy, think people are just happy to be out & about. Beware, it's very hot here 35 degrees today 🔥

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back