Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Hi All,

Have a issue with the fiver, when i plug into 240v after about 30sec to 1min it blows the trip.

I have turned off the trip on my vehicle for the 110 convertor and this stops it as soon as i switch back on 30sec to a min it trips again.

The question is how to i tell if it is the 110 convertor or the main board in the vehicle :Doh::Doh:

It is not a big problem as i have a 240v charger fitted so all the lights etc work from the battery and the charger keeps the battery charged.

So not sure what to do also were can i get a convertor 240 to 110 if this is the issue.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
at home or on a site ?

has it only happened today and has it already been working on that particular 230v outlet ?

reason i ask is it could be the 230v RCD thats not working correctly.

OP
OP
ehuplad

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
at home or on a site ?

has it only happened today and has it already been working on that particular 230v outlet ?

reason i ask is it could be the 230v RCD thats not working correctly.

Unfortunatly done it on 2 sites yesterday and today one in England 1 in Scotland. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
sounds very much like a problem of inrush current in the 110 transformer, a soft start kit required no doubt.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The first step is to isolate the appliances being fed by the transformer.. (TX)

Switch off the 110v circuit breakers (CBs) , then try again.. if the trip stays on then the TX is ok.
if not, it may well have an earth fault.

If that's ok, reset each CB in turn to establish which circuit is at fault .. it may be a fault with the fridge, air con unit .. or any other 110v appliance.

Try that and report back with results ..

Edit

It's not in-rush current if it takes 30 sec to trip.. that happens almost immediately ..

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi All,

Have a issue with the fiver, when i plug into 240v after about 30sec to 1min it blows the trip.

I have turned off the trip on my vehicle for the 110 convertor and this stops it as soon as i switch back on 30sec to a min it trips again.

The question is how to i tell if it is the 110 convertor or the main board in the vehicle :Doh::Doh:

It is not a big problem as i have a 240v charger fitted so all the lights etc work from the battery and the charger keeps the battery charged.

So not sure what to do also were can i get a convertor 240 to 110 if this is the issue.

Hi there,

How did your induction go? do you know where you will be staying yet??

Ginny and Mike (suitcase sat system)

OP
OP
ehuplad

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
The first step is to isolate the appliances being fed by the transformer.. (TX)

Switch off the 110v circuit breakers (CBs) , then try again.. if the trip stays on then the TX is ok.
if not, it may well have an earth fault.

If that's ok, reset each CB in turn to establish which circuit is at fault .. it may be a fault with the fridge, air con unit .. or any other 110v appliance.

Try that and report back with results ..

Edit

It's not in-rush current if it takes 30 sec to trip.. that happens almost immediately ..

Thanks Jim - tried that it still trips with them all off

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks Jim - tried that it still trips with them all off

Hi

I'm sure you appreciate, distance fault finding can only go so far, only point you in the right direction ..

If it's still trips with all CBs open, then it certainly looks like a fault with the TX .. but that's not conclusive, it could be as John suggested a faulty Earth leakage unit, a cable fault or dampness, but without inspection and testing it's impossible to say..

If your not familiar with electrical testing I would suggest having it looked at by a qualified domestic electrician. (not an auto electrician) .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as Jim said it could be a faulty hookup cable.

simple test......lay the cable out, DONT connect to the M/H but do connect to the hookup post.

if the post trips, dont use the cable until its been tested and OK'd

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back