Scotland vigilantes (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
FB is full of requests for where to Park up and others stating they have done so, despite the law in Scotland saying you must have a prebooked site to travel legally

unless that law has been changed I can understand the locals being upset, the claims that money is brought to the communities is overstated, I am confident most arrive with supermarket stock of food and drink and barely intend to move once in their ‘wild’ location
Can you quote me this law as I doubt its existence and legality if enacted .

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Must admit to having some sympathy with residents. We live opposite an accommodation provider that does not have enough parking spaces, with the result that we have cars parked next to our bathroom and bedroom windows, and I do mean next to, there is no pavement. They are parked so close to the house that I can’t get between the car and the wall.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Here we go (again) people that have no Idea how to use Facebook moaning about it.. carry on, making yourselves look like fools.
Well thank you kindly for your observation ... perhaps the fools are those who waste time on it in the first place ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
On Radio Scotland, right now, they are discussing the effect of tourism , the situation in the north west seems quite intolerable. Wild campers are being called 'dirty campers'. The point is also being made that B&B and hotel guests must be traceable, 'dirty campers' cannot be traced.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If anyone wants to listen to another example of the harm being done by fake news on social media ( not saying the OP is posting stuff that’s not true, I don’t know) listen to Radio 4 My name is Fozia, on BBC Sounds. A consultant in the main Bradford hospital, she has seen patients die of Covid because they took more notice of rubbish online than the official guidelines. It was quite chilling to hear people who really believe the vaccine will contain microchips and so will refuse vaccination. Unless there’s a large take up of the vaccine, I don’t think it will be effective.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
If anyone wants to listen to another example of the harm being done by fake news on social media ( not saying the OP is posting stuff that’s not true, I don’t know) listen to Radio 4 My name is Fozia, on BBC Sounds. A consultant in the main Bradford hospital, she has seen patients die of Covid because they took more notice of rubbish online than the official guidelines. It was quite chilling to hear people who really believe the vaccine will contain microchips and so will refuse vaccination. Unless there’s a large take up of the vaccine, I don’t think it will be effective.
Part of trouble is that MSM has put itself in the fake news spectrum , so no longer authoritative for many .

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I know people say facebook blah blah blah but i have just had a read on 2 facebook sites

NC500 the land weeps
& NC500 for whingers

Well i am amazed at the hatred being posted by scottish locals against motorhome owners visiting Scotland. Whether you are fully self sufficient or not they really are out to abuse any owners with a motorhome who visit Scotland.

They are behaving in such a threatening manor it beggers belief that i am actually reading some of the posts from local rural Scottish residents.

I do not normally take any notice of idol threats but i dont think i would risk taking my expensive motorhome up there to get damaged in the night by cowards, infact i dont think i will bother again for quite some time i will go abroad once i can where hopefully i will be more welcome.

I hope all the little shop owners who are jumping on the band wagon go bust then they will have more time to think about what tourists actually bring to the area.

I wanted to see what was going in the groups quoted, so joined them. I've only spent 20 mins flicking through, but the objections to motorhomes seem to be:

1. Bad parking in passing places/residential areas
2. Waste being left

There also seems to be a fair amount of animosity towards the Scottish Government. Mainly along the lines of:

1. If they want tourism, why aren't they putting some of their budget into bins in appropriate places?
2. If they are not opening facilities, then how are they allowing camping)

There were also a lot of people trying to solve the issues. As they can't get funds out of the Gov, there was talk of approaching motorhome rental companies to sponsor bins, for instance.

To be fair, I kind of agreed with most of what I read.

Suvvi

Free Member
Sep 14, 2018
East Lothian
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer conversion
Exp
Caravan's and tents to date..
Hopefully a few don't spoil it for all. I've wild camped in the tent for years and left no footprint however there is usually so few bins or just poorly serviced that you need to take the rubbish home. Unfortunately the mentality of a growing number is "why bother".

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
We had a drink with some neighbours who were in tents at thurso and they were struggling to find places with toilets/showers. We saw them pull up at sango sands yesterday and then drove off again when they realised the shared facilities were closed.
That is a shame for them, but it has been common knowledge that facilities like that won't be open yet, it's really only people with their own self contained facilities that are being encouraged.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
tacr2man
Can you quote me this law as I doubt its existence and legality if enacted .

Like a lot of rules they are constantly changing, I am confident that when travel restrictions were first relaxed one of the conditions was you had to prove you had prebooked accommodation

but looking on Scottish gov web site that appears to be further relaxed and now includes wild camping which clearly can’t be booked

FEF35377-5AF8-4C74-9A34-CBAA972BCB02.png

But then appears to say it doesn’t include tents , so as clear an instruction as ever then 🤔 no wonder the public are confused about wild camping

I now wonder if the ruling I was referring to was for Wales maybe

We do ‘wild camp’ as in not on sites, but only overnight not setting up camp as some do for days, I have seen caravan and awnings in parking lay-bys taking up valuable tourist parking and giving nothing to the area

as with all such situations a small number get it wrong affecting the much greater majority 🤔🙁

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The 'Pre Booked Accommodation' may be from last year. The Isle of Skye became so busy that police were turning back potential overnight visitors, both campers and none campers (i.e. hotel guests), unless they had overnight accommodation already booked booked. The island was basically full.

Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
Lets face it, there are just far too many people suddenly unable to get away other than in the uk. That will allways overwhelm everything and everywhere and we ain't taking it in turn innit
What we need is a pandemic to thin us out with a pundemic thrown in, so we go out with a smile.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Lets face it, there are just far too many people suddenly unable to get away other than in the uk. That will allways overwhelm everything and everywhere and we ain't taking it in turn innit
What we need is a pandemic to thin us out with a pundemic thrown in, so we go out with a smile.
... maybe a punchdemic too to bop all the idiots! :boxing:

Deleted User
Raised a wry smile. Facebook is rubbish / untrue, etc, etc.
of course all the other social media (including this forum) is totally accurate and unbiased. Amazing isn't it!
Well we do have a lot of experts on this forum, haven't you noticed. :giggle:

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Ok for those of you have have slated me and even swore at me for posting about 2 facebook pages please let me explain

I do not do facebook either i am on facebook for the sole reason of being a carthago member as this is the only way to join their group.

I was told about the 2 facebook sites i mentioned so i joined to see what was being said about us and it is not pretty if you take the time to read some of the locals views about us.

Most decent motorhomers doing absolutely nothing wrong but getting slated just for parking in a car park legitimately.

I was merely trying to point out what some locals think of us visiting Scotland not all i must add but a fair few vigilantes

I have since left both the facebook groups but it has opened my eyes on visiting Scotland this year something i personally will give a miss for now

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back