Scotland vigilantes (1 Viewer)

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I know people say facebook blah blah blah but i have just had a read on 2 facebook sites

NC500 the land weeps
& NC500 for whingers

Well i am amazed at the hatred being posted by scottish locals against motorhome owners visiting Scotland. Whether you are fully self sufficient or not they really are out to abuse any owners with a motorhome who visit Scotland.

They are behaving in such a threatening manor it beggers belief that i am actually reading some of the posts from local rural Scottish residents.

I do not normally take any notice of idol threats but i dont think i would risk taking my expensive motorhome up there to get damaged in the night by cowards, infact i dont think i will bother again for quite some time i will go abroad once i can where hopefully i will be more welcome.

I hope all the little shop owners who are jumping on the band wagon go bust then they will have more time to think about what tourists actually bring to the area.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
FB is full of requests for where to Park up and others stating they have done so, despite the law in Scotland saying you must have a prebooked site to travel legally

unless that law has been changed I can understand the locals being upset, the claims that money is brought to the communities is overstated, I am confident most arrive with supermarket stock of food and drink and barely intend to move once in their ‘wild’ location

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Yes there are a lot of MH's & caravans about, we see them going past our home, have I heard anyone moaning about them......no is the answer.
However the tents brigade are a different matter, a local forest drive has been closed because of the amount of rubbish they are leaving, now they are really getting peoples backs up.

rbescape

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Stafford
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Since 2018
We're in week 2 of our trip around Scotland and have to agree everyone has been lovely. There's some variation in what facilities sites will have open but if you're self contained it's no bother and safer. All the shops and restaurants have been very welcoming.

We had a drink with some neighbours who were in tents at thurso and they were struggling to find places with toilets/showers. We saw them pull up at sango sands yesterday and then drove off again when they realised the shared facilities were closed.

Deleted User
Yes there are a lot of MH's & caravans about, we see them going past our home, have I heard anyone moaning about them......no is the answer.
However the tents brigade are a different matter, a local forest drive has been closed because of the amount of rubbish they are leaving, now they are really getting peoples backs up.
The same happened in Kielder forest, even the dedicated wild camping areas have been closed. Interesting to note is that when camping restrictions were imposed on Loch Lomond they didn't blame the English but the Scots form the cities such as Glasgow.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Facebook is a platform for idiots to get a audience where nobody in the real world would give them the time of day , passing on their videos or quoting them only gives them The sense of power they are seeking
But we have to remember that one day there may actually be something posted on fakebook that is real and true, might not be in my lifetime but who knows.

Big Stevie

Free Member
Aug 17, 2019
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carmen the Campscout
Exp
Just starting out....
As both the FB Groups mentioned are members only the OP must have requested to join so begs the question ...why ?
And singling out Scotland when Wales, the Lake District, Devon, etc, etc are experiencing the same issues with exactly the same reaction from locals seems like a bit of an agenda.
As many of the follow on posts have highlighted , Scotland is open and welcoming to considerate and respectful visitors.
The biggest surprise is that there is still someone left who believes Faceache is a source for reliable information

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I don't understand why anyone with the slightest bit of intelligence takes and notice of facebook . All too often people copy facebook posts and put them on the forum only to find they have being proven to be fake news.

Agreed, but communication with relatives, especially grand children, and friends has changed with the times, and Facebook rules OK.
Fewer emails, the phone rarely rings, except from fraudsters, and a letter is a thing of the past.
John

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Agreed, but communication with relatives, especially grand children, and friends has changed with the times, and Facebook rules OK.
Fewer emails, the phone rarely rings, except from fraudsters, and a letter is a thing of the past.
John
Is that good?

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Another that doesn't use FB. I use it for groups here and there, but no personnel info (ever) and rarely post even in the groups.

As for friends - just say no to everyone. The Missus loves telling people I added her as a friend after we had been together for over 10 years. Must delete her :LOL:

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
6322A7E8-18A4-4356-9706-988E293B3970.gif

'Please share this with as many people as possible' 😉

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Well i am amazed at the hatred being posted by scottish locals against motorhome owners visiting Scotland. Whether you are fully self sufficient or not they really are out to abuse any owners with a motorhome who visit Scotland.
I don't think its only about people visiting Scotland with their MH's I think its anyone Scot's included visiting their area with a MH, how would they know to treat me different from anyone else as noting says my van is Scottish. I've read a few post from Scot's who have received snide/abusive remarks from locals, so this is more about motorhomes visiting not about non Scot's which I can understand as they only have one main hospital for the whole of the Highlands so they certainly don't want to put it under pressure.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
The same happened in Kielder forest, even the dedicated wild camping areas have been closed. Interesting to note is that when camping restrictions were imposed on Loch Lomond they didn't blame the English but the Scots form the cities such as Glasgow.
Luckily the Forestry Commission has kept the option to stay overnight in a Motorhome as they realise its not respsonsible Motorhomers that are the problem at Kielder.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It’s just a pity that we are all hooked on Facebook, I think the world would be a better place if it was gone.
Not me ... I hate the place ... I joined to see what it was like and spent ages looking for the message that someone had written on my 'wall' ... in the end I had to ask work colleagues where to find it which they thought hilarious ... apparent the 'wall' is my FB home page! :oops:

The only reason I have an account at all is because of my involvement with the Hull Greyhound Rescue charity, that I do the website for, as occasionally I have to put posts on their FB page.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back