Are you experienced? (1 Viewer)

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Trailers, we have decided that towing a small to mid sized trailer later on would be ideal for what we want, not often probably a couple of times a year. We have a Daxara 218 which is what started this but looking into getting a solid top revielled they're not made, one of two indispension/erde trailers you can't get for.

Expanding on this we got to well why not sell the Daxara and buy a proper box trailer, say 6-8 ft long, 4-5ft wide and somewhere in the 4-6 ft height area.

Needless to say we don't want to spend a fortune, and we're after simple, I doubt we'd need anything over 500kgs payload (worst case) so fancy IFOR Williams is way over the top.

So, are you experienced:ROFLMAO:, recommendations, stear clear offs?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi ,

I had a 750kg Link Removedbox trailer . you may have seen pics of it going over the High Atlas ..

Link Removed
Link Removed

towed all over Europe and Morocco .. never a problem well made and worth every penny ..

Link Removed
Link Removed

try eBay for second hand

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I used to tow this one...it was a Brenderup with barn doors at the rear and a side door.Had it fitted out with electric and also 12volt.It had a freezer and washing machine in it,also bike racks on the roof. IMO buy one that's solid and with good solid doors...thieves know there are valuable stuff in there,so make sure its got an alarm and very secure.
I sold it at Shepton for £1000 with no problem,so be prepared to pay that sort of money for a good one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• S6000222.jpg
    S6000222.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
Dodgey
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Hi ,

I had a 750kg Lynton Load Trekker box trailer . you may have seen pics of it going over the High Atlas ..

Excellent Jim, and yes now you mention it I had, but that's why I asked as it dawned on me I'd seen a few pic's where people were towing this sort of trailer.

Cheers:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I used to tow this one...it was a Brenderup with barn doors at the rear and a side door.Had it fitted out with electric and also 12volt.It had a freezer and washing machine in it,also bike racks on the roof. IMO buy one that's solid and with good solid doors...thieves know there are valuable stuff in there,so make sure its got an alarm and very secure.
I sold it at Shepton for £1000 with no problem,so be prepared to pay that sort of money for a good one.

Hi

we carried a 230v spin dryer, 3 bikes, 3mt RIB + engine, the RV 22" spare wheel and lots of other tools and stuff .. so you can get a lot in them..

The Lynton has a steel roller shutter door with a hardened hasp and staple, very secure.

At one point I had a 65cm domestic sat dish on it's roof that folded flat for traveling ..

We sold it and bought a twin axel 1.5t Lynton with a ramp door to carry Paul's 250cc Yamaha bike .. but what a beast to man handle .. far too heavy for a couple to maneuver when un hitched unless on concrete or tar mac..

When we sold we lost very little, they are in high demand and the eBay punters pay full whack for second hand..

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We have looked a few in the past and decided that unless you know the history ie true ownership then best to consider new as you will get good money for it when it is sold as already said - there are quite a few ex hire ones out there that look OK but are really worse for the wear when you look deeper. I would suggest that you look for a well known name so that spares are easily come by where ever you are. If you do need to go bigger than you can manhandle then consider putting a motor mover on it - provided you have on board batteries it should be easy.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
The bigger you get the easier it is going backwards, we used to have a twin axle trailer when we doing the bungalow up and being as wide as the LandRover I could back it anywhere. Now I have a small trailer that we tow behind my car and its a nightmare would not want it behind the van, we tow a smart on a trailer and as soon as it goes off straight I can see it. :thumb:

If you get a small one, make sure you have a jockey wheel on it so you can man handle it, and a hand brake comes in handy. :Doh: :Smile: Bob. ( Ex HGV Owner Driver )

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
Those trailers in the pics will be virtually impossible to back up. The longer the better the easier. Mine will be 11 foot i use for work, and you can back it in the tightest of spaces. Mind, its a pig to spin round in our hammer-head.:cry:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
WE train trailer towing, and by far the best box trailer is an Ifor Williams, but as you say they can be weighty on price even second hand, having said that when you come to sell it you loose very little money if you look after it, we bought ours 1 year old very little use and cost £2750 we have had it five years and could still get £2500 I know because I turned that down for it last December. (I don't want to sell it)

If I wanted to buy a cheaper one I would seriously consider Bendrup they are well made.

Car transporters I would always buy Brian James again the most exspensive but they hold their price and are the best.

Hope this helps

All the best Rick

OP
OP
Dodgey
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I would suggest that you look for a well known name so that spares are easily come by where ever you are.

Yes, I hear that which is one of the reasons I asked:thumb:

I know it wont to get used often but mileage could still be high and there is no way I want to get stranded somewhere because I can't get a wheel bearing or something similarly minor.

If I wanted to buy a cheaper one I would seriously consider Bendrup they are well made.

Hope this helps

All the best Rick

Very much, never heard of Bendrup until a session on ebay....

As to manovering, well, I've done a fair bit of towing and yes the smaller they are the worse they are to manover on the vehicle but frankly I'm imagining we'll probably move by hand most of the time and also wont be running any huge weight but still to bourne in mind:thumb:

Cheers all:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back