CUMBRIA-Ravenglass up Hard Knot Pass ?? (1 Viewer)

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
ADVICE....Is it OK to try and negotiate this route from Ravenglass to Ambleside via the
"Hard Knot Pass"....some 30+ years since last up there [Shame on us]:Blush:...OR should we alter our plans to come FROM Ambleside down to Ravenglass .....?? [Engine braking comes to mind & slowly does it ]

PS We shall have the 'TOAD' behind us !

Thanks for all help...

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Not a chance in a motorhome you'll end up being rescued.:whatthe:

I stayed in Ravenglass a couple of years back in the Rv and did this road on a motorbike and that was difficult, there were cars getting stuck and going back for a second run.
If you want to do it use the toad and leave the motorhome at the campsite. :thumb:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
It's a while since I've been up there, but FROM Ambleside is surely something like a 1 in 4 incline, and tight bends. I'd say that would be extremely hard going even without towing something behind you. And if you have a front wheel drive m/h, forget it.

But someone who knows the area better will be along any time soon.............

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
:thumbdown:Think I would leave the m/h at the bottom & enjoy a return trip over the pass in the toad........you wouldn't be very popular if you got stuck on the hairpin bends

Ian Barry

Free Member
Sep 22, 2010
West Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Hardknott Pass

I am a local. In a word keep away with your MH the pass would be difficult enough but also bear in mind that the roads leading up to and away from the pass have not progressed much from the horse and cart days, narrow and winding ! I dont even go over in a car now.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
ADVICE....Is it OK to try and negotiate this route from Ravenglass to Ambleside via the
"Hard Knot Pass"....some 30+ years since last up there [Shame on us]:Blush:...OR should we alter our plans to come FROM Ambleside down to Ravenglass .....?? [Engine braking comes to mind & slowly does it ]PS We shall have the 'TOAD' behind us !Thanks for all help...
Sorry to be a rebel but I take my van over Rhino and Hardknot every year both ways::bigsmile:riving2: but it is slightly smaller than some on here.:winky:
I definitely wouldn't recommend attempting it anything bigger though especially if the road is wet. :rain:
Yes I should alter your plans......opp5 With a toad......:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
I would say definately not with a toad.

We have struggled on a motorbike two up, not because of us but other road users that stop abruptly or those that think you can reverse down a hill and get going again.

Plus the potholes just where you want to do a tight turn, on a motorcycle is a no, no.

So if youre vehicle is long,even longer with a toad then you might even burn out your clutch.

I am no expert, but my husband has done this pass a few times in the past. We met two motorcyclist that had come off on the first bend.

Pat

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
Narrow and small

Lynne has just showed me the road that you are talking of on google maps.
Looking at it there is obvious why the other posters have said no way with motorhome, BUT
I am now wanting to go and do it myself, but will be in my landrover!!
Does look as if it would be a fantastic drive with wonderful scenery, although looking at the amount of people stopped on the side of the road being sick caught on camara is concerning.

Just found this....[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0NnZGK4LqE[/ame]

Last edited:

BionicPixie

Free Member
Aug 15, 2009
non
Funster No
MH
Exp
no way, not on a good day, not on a bad day in fact not on any day with a 'Y' in it...... would it be considered in anything like a motorhome.

I have driven it in several vehicles and each time i vow it will be the last but end up taking someone else along!!!! Volvo estate .... too long! Opel Vectra... too fast! best version was the Nissan Micra! we have driven out cars for people who got so scared with one side they could not face the other! and seen so many people throwing up at the side of the road. ...
and now I have to go there again as Upmarkethippy has never been Oh deep joy! but at last a proper vehicle ... the Land Rover!!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ys1pgUUTog&feature=fvsr[/ame] this is one of the better images of the road .... it is tight and steep and should never be underestimated.

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
Always enjoy the drive over Hardknott in the Landy.:thumb: Wouldn't consider it with the motorhome. Having 6 low ratio gears comes in handy for towing those that don't make it. Cheyne will be in his element and can probably raise a lot more for the air ambulance if he goes on a holiday weekend.:RollEyes:

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
put Hardknott Pass, Eskdale, Cumbria into Google maps then go to street view. Looks great but follow the road on street view and see the state of it:Eeek: Scary

John

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i think that bike video link says it all......NO !

once, in a moment of shear madness/stupidity, i attempted 'the struggle' (A592) from ambleside to the kirkstone inn.

i did make it to the top, just, in a......Carioca 10 on a fiat 2ltr JTD base.

why ? cos it was there, but i knew the road and i was stupid :Doh::Blush:....never again !

once you get on these pass's you have no chance to turn round even if the going gets too much....which it will on hardknot and wrynose and whinlatter pass's in particular.

thumbnails are top and bottom of 'the struggle'.

Attachments

• kirkstonepass-07012210 (Large).jpg
    kirkstonepass-07012210 (Large).jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 24
  • kirkstone-me1 (Large).jpg
    kirkstone-me1 (Large).jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 23

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Bloody hell David ! :Eeek::whatthe::Doh:

just re-read your post.....

PS We shall have the 'TOAD' behind us ! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

men in white coats are coming for you......you'll NEVER, EVER make it !!!!!!!! not even half way !

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Been up the Kirkstone from Bowness end for coffee at the pub - on the pillion of a motorbike. Was a bit scared in case we met anything really because the drystone walls are a bit unforgiving on flesh and plastic!

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Many of the passes in the lakes have a 6ft 6 restriction anyway so it would also be illegal.

Its the long way round im afraid!

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!
I have just returned from the Lakes, and as the wife comes from there she wanted to see a bit of it and relive some of her childhood. "I`d like to go to Buttermere" she said. Ok, says I and off we went. The roads from Workington over to Buttermere were a tad narrow and winding but manageable with mine and other drivers patience. When we decided to head south and needed to get across to Keswick, silly sod here thinks he might go via Honister Pass. We reached the bottom sign that said `Warning-Ice`, went up to the 6`6" sign and decided it was foolhardy to continue.:RollEyes:
I did the Hard Knot and Wrynose as a passenger in a Mk 1 XR2 many years ago. The thought of attempting it in a motorhome, with a toad!, :shout::Eeek::shout:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
I don't think that the average motorhome should try it especially with a toad - but as for car drivers - can I ask please, what is covering the road surface?

To me, it looks like tarmac, tons and tons and tons of it.

So how did the tarmac get there - on the back of donkeys?

No, of course not, it was delivered by lorries and laid by heavy machinery and rolled flat by great (probably) steam rollers, looking at the age of it.

Come on, where is your sense of adventure - Volvo estate too long, indeed - do you honestly think they don't have roads similar or worse than this in Sweden or elsewhere in the World?

Dick

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
This may give a hint to it's suitability with a large Motorhome :RollEyes:

Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Come on, where is your sense of adventure - Volvo estate too long, indeed - do you honestly think they don't have roads similar or worse than this in Sweden or elsewhere in the World?

Dick

Indeed.. :thumb:

These are dangerous roads.. ! Link Removed

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The last time I was over them I was part of a RAYNET (Radio Amateur Emergency Network) excercise.

There were 4 vintage cars tackling them. We were stationed at various point to warn other drivers that they may encounter these vehicles. Dodgy brakes!!!!

One was celibrating its 60 years since registration aniversary. The only vehicle that had a problem was one of our support vehicles an Astra van and it took 4 of us lying on its bonnet to get a grip on one of the summits, I can't remember which one.

John

Ian Barry

Free Member
Sep 22, 2010
West Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Hardknott

Its me the local again, I have read the posts with great interest and amusement, let me say that I have been over all the Cumbrian passes many many times they are fun to do ! the last time I did Hardknott was 2 years ago in an MX5 and found that it was too busy to enjoy the run or the views. The majority of cars will make it over no problem.
The general rule is to give way to those coming up the hill for obvious reasons !! The biggest problem is that no one wants to give way and there are no passing places and there is no where to hide.
TIP: If you really want to do it and really want to enjoy it then get up early in the morning skip breakfast go to Ravenglass have a trip up the Eskdale valley on "The Laal Ratty" a walk up to Stanley Falls a nice meal in one of those pubs at Boot and return at Dusk - luvverly.

fugglestick

Free Member
Jul 24, 2010
Funster No
Love all these passes. Fabulous. Done them on motorbikes fand in all sorts of cars for years. Hardknot can be difficult, especially with new front wheel drive vans simply because the gradient is too steep and the front wheels scrabble especially in the wet. Not too bad with small rear wheel drive vans, but make sure you have a good clutch and brakes ....lol..Also problem with Rrynose and Kirkstone are the tight corners on the approach especially from Troutbeck way. You couldn't get a largish MH around them. [Hobby 750] and passing between the dry stone walls are NOT for the faint hearted. You will get stuck.

Dont forget Whinlatter Pass, which is a mountain pass on the B5292. It passes through Thornthwaite Forest and as it sits approximately 1,043 feet above sea level it has spectacular views over Bassenthwaite Lake Beautiful pass in the summer.

Remember if you are stuck for traction with a front wheel drive is to reverse, that then put the weight on the driving wheel.

and the golden rule --- always give way to vehicles coming up the pass. Its easier for you to start off going down that them to do a steep hill start.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Talking about these passes got me thinking (again) that it's a shame you can't overnight at the Kirkstone Inn, each time we pass it just stricks me what a wonderful place to spend an evening and the views when you wake up?

I'd be pretty happy, though I suspect they'll be a limit somewhere that Winne would go up/down from the north side, wouldn't fancy the run down to Windermere though:Eeek:

Mind you I did see recently that there is a site on or near Brothers Water which seems to be private and affiliated to CC, passing previously I thought it was CC only so, could be an interesting walk:ROFLMAO:

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
I had a front tyre blow out on a car when comming down hardnott pass

Not something I would wish to have again !!!:Doh:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Talking about these passes got me thinking (again) that it's a shame you can't overnight at the Kirkstone Inn, each time we pass it just stricks me what a wonderful place to spend an evening and the views when you wake up?

I'd be pretty happy, though I suspect they'll be a limit somewhere that Winne would go up/down from the north side, wouldn't fancy the run down to Windermere though:Eeek:

Mind you I did see recently that there is a site on or near Brothers Water which seems to be private and affiliated to CC, passing previously I thought it was CC only so, could be an interesting walk:ROFLMAO:

Why cant you overnight at the Kirkstone inn? There is a massive car park over the road. Please dont tell me there is a no overnighting sign there?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Why cant you overnight at the Kirkstone inn? There is a massive car park over the road. Please dont tell me there is a no overnighting sign there?
Oh yes there is....right on the carpark entrance and dotted around the boundry wall, and park wardens do visit...as we found out after struggling up the 'struggle' (see earlier post):cry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I don't think that the average motorhome should try it especially with a toad - but as for car drivers - can I ask please, what is covering the road surface?

To me, it looks like tarmac, tons and tons and tons of it.

So how did the tarmac get there - on the back of donkeys?

No, of course not, it was delivered by lorries and laid by heavy machinery and rolled flat by great (probably) steam rollers, looking at the age of it.

Dick
Transit pickup, gang of 'black-toppers' with shovels and a vibrating pedestrian roller or two.

you wouldnt get anything larger round the hairpins. :Eeek:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Oh yes there is....right on the carpark entrance and dotted around the boundary wall, and park wardens do visit...as we found out after struggling up the 'struggle' (see earlier post):cry:

So an Inn that no doubt struggles for trade of an evening, a car park the size of a small town, in the middle of nowhere at !500ft above sea level where they would love your trade and you cant overnight!

This makes my blood boil! They take the money spending boats off Windermere with a 10mph ban and ban overnighting in just about every car park and they wonder why they have the worst economy in England. Pathetic.

Does any part of the Kirkstone car park belong to the pub? surely they can decide who parks there. ARGGGH!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So an Inn that no doubt struggles for trade of an evening, a car park the size of a small town, in the middle of nowhere at !500ft above sea level where they would love your trade and you cant overnight!

This makes my blood boil! They take the money spending boats off Windermere with a 10mph ban and ban overnighting in just about every car park and they wonder why they have the worst economy in England. Pathetic.

Does any part of the Kirkstone car park belong to the pub? surely they can decide who parks there. ARGGGH!
its been a while now since i was there, but just to add insult to injury....i seem to remember its 'no overnight camping' and a pay and display too ! :Angry:

i'm sure its wholly owned by the national parks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back