How do you clean brown stains off a shower tray? (1 Viewer)

SarahS

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 13, 2020
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
10 years
Hi everyone - we have a 4 year old Hymer B544 and there are some nasty looking brown stains on the white shower tray caused by the 'decorative' wooden shower tray - I am guessing part stain from the wood and rubber feet, and part rub from travelling. I am wondering what might remove these stains and whether anyone has any tips? I am loathe to use bleach / a scourer as not sure whether that will denature the plastic. An internet search pulls up bicarb with lemon juice / vinegar but I don't think that would be strong enough to take the stains out.

Welcome any advice!
Thanks all!!

IMG_5340.jpeg

OP
OP
SarahS

SarahS

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 13, 2020
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
10 years
Thanks all. Will try some citric acid and the WD40 ( not together!). Will report back. ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Hi everyone - we have a 4 year old Hymer B544 and there are some nasty looking brown stains on the white shower tray caused by the 'decorative' wooden shower tray - I am guessing part stain from the wood and rubber feet, and part rub from travelling. I am wondering what might remove these stains and whether anyone has any tips? I am loathe to use bleach / a scourer as not sure whether that will denature the plastic. An internet search pulls up bicarb with lemon juice / vinegar but I don't think that would be strong enough to take the stains out.

Welcome any advice!
Thanks all!!

View attachment 386788
did you get a result?

OP
OP
SarahS

SarahS

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 13, 2020
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
10 years
No sadly...the lemon juice / vinegar did nothing 😩. Not sure what to try next ??

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I know this is no help now, but when you get the stains off, put the wooden duck board in your loft. That's where we keep ours. I don't see any benefit of standing on them in the shower, and @Hils and Glenn, who also have a Hymer, have a sticker in their shower saying they should not be used to stand on!

Hope you manage to get the stains off.

I have to say I have an intense dislike of them, after working in the Virgin Islands. I cleaned luxury charter yachts, and had to scrub them at the end of every charter - they were furry, green and completely gross! :sick:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
They are usually oiled teak, so a neat grease cutting liquid detergent should work.

Just found this on a boating website - it's American, and Dawn is a liquid detergent, but we surely have equivalents.....

4A1209D4-E059-4F43-A17D-6426DAF8B8A9.png

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We always have a block of "Magic Eraser" around - it's a micropore sponge type thing that rarely fails to shift stains. Use it with just water, or a drop of detergent if you wish. It is "abrasive", that's how it works, but on a very mild scale.

OP
OP
SarahS

SarahS

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 13, 2020
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
10 years
They are usually oiled teak, so a neat grease cutting liquid detergent should work.

Just found this on a boating website - it's American, and Dawn is a liquid detergent, but we surely have equivalents.....

View attachment 408527
Thanks will see if I can find an equivalent. We have indeed removed the wooden boards - they will come in handy in the winter for the fire particularly if they are oiled !! No idea why they are used as IMO they are pointless and as you Say they get filthy. And leave nasty stains behind!

OP
OP
SarahS

SarahS

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 13, 2020
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
10 years
We always have a block of "Magic Eraser" around - it's a micropore sponge type thing that rarely fails to shift stains. Use it with just water, or a drop of detergent if you wish. It is "abrasive", that's how it works, but on a very mild scale.
Thanks! I think we might have one of those somewhere...

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
When we first started using ours we had this problem, but much fainter than yours. Managed to get it off with scrubbing and Mr Muscle bathroom cleaner from memory. To make sure it never happened again I stuck duct tape on the underside of the supports. No problems for the last 3 years.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks will see if I can find an equivalent. We have indeed removed the wooden boards - they will come in handy in the winter for the fire particularly if they are oiled !! No idea why they are used as IMO they are pointless and as you Say they get filthy. And leave nasty stains behind!
I think the general idea of them is if you need to carry items in the shower you don’t damage the tray. We used to have the shower full of thing when travelling to Spain for winter.
Don’t need to now as have much more room in this van.😊👍🌞

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Oiled Teak??
in our 2018 Hymer it’s plywood nothing so exotic as Teak which would be heavy as well.😊
It was teak on the yachts - don't know what wood the duck board is on our Hymer - but it's still oiled sitting in our loft!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Ours came with the van too - but someone else paid for it....................

Apparently it was an optional extra (the guy who first owned the van it specced it with all the options) costing £50! We leave it in all the time but don't have any problem with it. And as for oiling - if it's genuine teak it should never need it.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I know this is no help now, but when you get the stains off, put the wooden duck board in your loft. That's where we keep ours. I don't see any benefit of standing on them in the shower, and @Hils and Glenn, who also have a Hymer, have a sticker in their shower saying they should not be used to stand on!

Hope you manage to get the stains off.

I have to say I have an intense dislike of them, after working in the Virgin Islands. I cleaned luxury charter yachts, and had to scrub them at the end of every charter - they were furry, green and completely gross! :sick:
Agree The Hymer Manual says take the board out when using the shower I know this isnt helpful but could be when you have got the stains out.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Ours came with the van too - but someone else paid for it....................

Apparently it was an optional extra (the guy who first owned the van it specced it with all the options) costing £50! We leave it in all the time but don't have any problem with it. And as for oiling - if it's genuine teak it should never need it.
Terry, I cleaned luxury sailing yachts in the BVI and I was tasked to oil about a mile of teak inside and outside the yacht every time it came off charter - are you saying I was doing something that didn’t need to be done?! :rolleyes:

Believe me, scrubbing the shower boards was the worst job - absolutely gross - I did get to take the food home though - the rich people always had the yacht provisioned, but ate out most nights - only time I ever ate veal escalopes ......

OP
OP
SarahS

SarahS

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 13, 2020
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
10 years
Thanks to all for the ideas and help! Sadly nothing has worked as yet. Have tried lemon juice, vinegar, WD40, toothpaste (wondered if this might be a bit like wet and dry...), the white magic sponge thingy, and scrubbing with soap and water.
We have now relented and bought a shower mat that you can cut to size to hide the marks!!

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I don’t know if i’ll be frowned upon, but I have been known to use Jif/Cif on shower trays.

Have you tried that Sarah? Although I think the shower mat is a great idea. Good for protecting the shower base when packing stuff in it for travelling!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back