Greeting from Lisbon, Portugal! (1 Viewer)

HazzleNut

Free Member
Feb 22, 2011
Portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hello everyone,

There is a very good reason for a portuguese couple to register and post in this forum. In about 1 month (late March) we are leaving in a very promising trip arround Europe, for about a year or so.

Our journey will begin heading north, and as soon as we reach France we will then start exploring UK. Now, as complete newbies, we hunger for advice, information, places to go, places to avoid, everything that can help us make the best of our time over there.

This is why, alongside endless googling, we decide to enroll in this forum, that seems to be a perfect place to exchange knowledge about everything relating to motorhoming =).

Thanks in advance for any help and cheers from down here in the peninsula!
nuno & susana

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi Hazellnut

Welcome to the FUN, hopefully you will get all the advice and help you need, as well as having lots of fun when you get over here especially if you can meet up with the funsters on your travels :flyingwelcome:

Mick & Sheila

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Hiya nuno & susana > Welcome to MotorhomeFun.::bigsmile:
As Mick & Sheila have said, tons of info on the site and you can also join in the many Funster Meets throughout the year :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
HI.. Nuno & Susana....Welcome to fun......look out for us on your travels through France..and say Hi, .......... we will be touring around France over 7 months or more, we will be stopping at many places :winky::thumb:

Mel:thumb: :ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the site, we do already have a few members in Portugal, including JJ who is often in your area. Do look out for him I am sure that if it was not he that introduced you to us he would be pleased to meet you.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Boa noite Nuno e Susana...

Welcome to Fun...

I am in Ansiao but am thinking of a weekend trip south and I would stay at Pego do Altar, Alcacer do Sal for a night if I do...

JJ :thumb:

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Hi Hazellnut

Don,t forget to come and check out Wales

If your motorhome is not too long, you are welcome to stay on our drive for an overnight

Happy Welsh Daze
Chrisboyo:welcomefunster::welcomefunster::welcomefunster::welcomefunster:

OP
OP
HazzleNut

HazzleNut

Free Member
Feb 22, 2011
Portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome!

We are definitely looking for some insight on where to go, where to stay and in order to lengthen our stay we are thinking about doing some part time jobs.

I've been reading some information about working option and so far we've come up with: "au pair", bar tending, camp counselor, cook, seasonal farm jobs and I think thats about it. Any more ideas on small jobs, 1 week to 1 month tops, that can help us refuel and restock to our next destination?

One more question (sorry for the nagging), will I have to do some modification to our motorhome headlights or any other sort of mods for it to be street legal?

Cheers!
nuno

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Now, as complete newbies, we hunger for advice, information, places to go, places to avoid, everything that can help us make the best of our time over there.

What do you want to see ?

We've got some nice scenery, France has better.

We do some good castles and grand buildings. Or do you want congested cites like London, which does have some good sights to see.

It's not cheap over here. The weather can be terrible.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I've been reading some information about working option and so far we've come up with: "au pair", bar tending, camp counselor, cook, seasonal farm jobs and I think thats about it. Any more ideas on small jobs,

It will help if you speak Polish, because if you do find a job your workmates will be Polish or Romanian and working for little money. But since we have more unemployed than the whole of the population of Portugal don't count on finding a job.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Welcome, as others have said loads of information in the database here, use the search feature its brilliant.
Brian correctly identifies job issues - we have tens of thousands of local government and health service workers being made jobless between now and the end of March, so the jobs situation is not going to be good. You may wish to get contact with the quite large Portuguese community here to help, they may know one or two good employment agencies, for as you are only looking for a months work that may be the best bet.
Where to go? Depends on your hobbies and interests - a few hints and people can really help you. Lots of historic sites, lots of great countryside. Most major cities have at least one place thats a must to visit - well Birmingham excepted - sorry Birmingham (but lots of good visitor sites in the Midlands area). We have some of the best free museums and art galleries anywhere. If you are in Scotland in August check out whats on in Edinburgh especially.
For me, the Lake District is a must for a few days at least.
Beware of sat navs - they may take you down some very narrow or very steep roads.
Good Luck.

OP
OP
HazzleNut

HazzleNut

Free Member
Feb 22, 2011
Portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
What do you want to see ?

We are not going over there expecting sunny days and warm summer breezes :roflmto:

Our checklist include museums, castles, ancient ruins, lakes, lovely countryside roads and everything in between.

It's sad to hear about unemployment rates going up all over Europe, one can only hope things start to pick up slowly from now on. Still, we'll keep our eyes open for small chores we can help with :Smile:

Wales and Scotland, check!

London, off course! South seaside towns will be also on our route (Brighton, Portsmouth, etc etc)

We have a friend working near Norwich, so that's a given.

Btw, do you have any suggestion on the best place to park when visiting London?

Cheers to the forum,
nuno

OP
OP
HazzleNut

HazzleNut

Free Member
Feb 22, 2011
Portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class