getting rid of excess sealent (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As the van is ageing the soft, flexible sealent is spreading out of some of the joints and turning a nasty black thanks to road grime being imjested by it :whatthe:

Just to make matters worse, when ever it is washed said black mess is then picked up by the wash cloth/sponge whatever and spreads its self all over the side of the motor !!

Soooooooo... Any suggestions as to how to clean up the mess ?

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi

If this is silicon/acrylic-based then try a product I tend to use from screwfix. Works really well at removing and "trimming it" back.You don't need a lot.

Link Removed

Link Removed

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Excellent.. cheers :) :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Or use white spirit/thinners on a cloth. Dry off after and then polish the van, as it will take your wax layers off.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Or use white spirit/thinners on a cloth. Dry off after and then polish the van, as it will take your wax layers off.

Hi.

I've used white spirit before and seems to work quite well. Takes a bit of washing off prior to applying a wax coat?

Black streaks seem to be a common occurrence on Motorhomes/Caravans..:Doh:

Cheers Steve.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Using the info from the screwfix site went round to Focus DIA and bought a tub of the same sort of wipes :thumb: £2.50 inc old farts discount and the job is already done !!

Many thanks for the head up :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Using the info from the screwfix site went round to Focus DIA and bought a tub of the same sort of wipes :thumb: £2.50 inc old farts discount and the job is already done !!

Many thanks for the head up :thumb:
Damn saw it too late
was going to suggest wire brush and oxy accetalene:thumb:
never failed yet no polishing need afterwards:Doh:
Nothing to polish:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Was a bit reluctant to do this in case the thinners did not stop cleaning it off and sort of went in to the joint a bit ..

But good tip re the polishing thing ,,,:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Hi.

I've used white spirit before and seems to work quite well. Takes a bit of washing off prior to applying a wax coat?

Black streaks seem to be a common occurrence on Motorhomes/Caravans..:Doh:

Cheers Steve.

Black streaks are caused by damage to the rubber seals. This can be caused by age, or chemicals/greases used to lubricate which rot rubber.

Many people swear this or that on window rubbers to stop them sticking in heat - this causes them to rot and when it rains, it causes streaking.

There are ways you can deal with this - clean rubbers and use talc to stop them sticking during hot weather

Always keep your van waxed every two weeks- one month, and any residue will run over the wax coating, rather than sticking to the 'flat' paintwork. Flat or dull surfaces are porous, and also rough which allows mould, mildew and any other dirt to get a solid hold.

Keep it shiny and it all falls off - even flies!:thumb:

That is why my motorhomes are cleaner that you will find on dealer forecourts.....because it makes my life easier!

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Black streaks are caused by damage to the rubber seals. This can be caused by age, or chemicals/greases used to lubricate which rot rubber.

So You wouldn't recommend the Rubber treatment often sold in Car accessory shops? I am looking for a satisfactory and lasting solution as My seals are becoming harder to find now...:cry:

everythingautomotive_2142_189397845
Accent your glossy paint finish with dark, supple-looking tires and trim. Restore tires and trim with 3M Rubber Treatment and Tire Dressing.

3M Rubber Treatment and Tire Dressing restores a like-new, natural finish to rubber tires, trim, and vinyl moldings. It rejuvenates dull rubber by removing dirt and oils and restoring the color and luster.

3M Rubber Treatment and Tire Dressing gives tires and trim a subtle shine that looks new, not artificial. The finish is non-greasy and bonds well to the rubber to prevent slinging onto body panels.

3M Rubber Treatment and Tire Dressing is more than a tire dressing. It penetrates the rubber to rejuvenate it on a deeper level. Rubber and vinyl surfaces appear newer and more supple, and the effects last longer because it won't wash off.

Use 3M Rubber Treatment and Tire Dressing on all exterior vinyl and rubber. It couldn't be easier to use. Simply spray it onto the rubber and use a towel to wipe the tire dry. 3M Rubber Treatment and Tire Dressing offers some cleaning ability, but if tires are very soiled, use 3M Tire and Wheel Cleaner first.

To apply 3M Rubber Treatment and Tire Dressing to exterior trim, spray a foam applicator and wipe a thin coat over the rubber. If overspray occurs, wipe it off with a towel. Allow 3M Rubber Treatment and Tire Dressing to dry for a few minutes before driving. Tires and trim will look clean and black for weeks!

Give your tires a non-greasy, natural-looking glow with 3M Rubber Treatment and Tire Dressing.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You should have bought our old Elddis, I think Elddis neglect to apply any sealant to avoid your problem!::bigsmile:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Does that mean it leaked???:Eeek::rain:

Lots!::bigsmile:
it was on a 06 plate and let the water in from 1yr old!
It only took the dealer/Elddis about 10 months to sort the job out-BADLY!

Never complain about too much sealant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!::bigsmile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
So You wouldn't recommend the Rubber treatment often sold in Car accessory shops? I am looking for a satisfactory and lasting solution as My seals are becoming harder to find now...:cry:

everythingautomotive_2142_189397845
Accent your glossy paint finish with dark, supple-looking tires and trim. Restore tires and trim with 3M Rubber Treatment and Tire Dressing.

3M Rubber Treatment and Tire Dressing restores a like-new, natural finish to rubber tires, trim, and vinyl moldings. It rejuvenates dull rubber by removing dirt and oils and restoring the color and luster.

3M Rubber Treatment and Tire Dressing gives tires and trim a subtle shine that looks new, not artificial. The finish is non-greasy and bonds well to the rubber to prevent slinging onto body panels.

3M Rubber Treatment and Tire Dressing is more than a tire dressing. It penetrates the rubber to rejuvenate it on a deeper level. Rubber and vinyl surfaces appear newer and more supple, and the effects last longer because it won't wash off.

Use 3M Rubber Treatment and Tire Dressing on all exterior vinyl and rubber. It couldn't be easier to use. Simply spray it onto the rubber and use a towel to wipe the tire dry. 3M Rubber Treatment and Tire Dressing offers some cleaning ability, but if tires are very soiled, use 3M Tire and Wheel Cleaner first.

To apply 3M Rubber Treatment and Tire Dressing to exterior trim, spray a foam applicator and wipe a thin coat over the rubber. If overspray occurs, wipe it off with a towel. Allow 3M Rubber Treatment and Tire Dressing to dry for a few minutes before driving. Tires and trim will look clean and black for weeks!

Give your tires a non-greasy, natural-looking glow with 3M Rubber Treatment and Tire Dressing.

Having owned a few valeting companies over the years - I can tell you for certain that tyre dressings do perish rubber! Most of them are oil based!

There are a few that don't - but the bulk of them do!

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
One of the most common causes I have found for rubbers to rot, is folk using WD40 as a lubricant on them
Bloody stuff is fatal to 'things neoprene' ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back