Extending an extended warranty? (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We're coming to the end of a three year extended MH warranty that has more than paid for itself, due to the roof leaking and being repaired under said warranty. Because of the large amount involved in the roof claim the warranty company don't seem interested in letting us renew it any further, even with a lowered maximum claim limit.

So, my query is this - is it possible to switch to a different company to extend the warranty still further, and has anybody successfully done this?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Was it a new motorhome? I find with motorhomes that if it hasn't gone wrong in the first three years, it will easily last for the next ten. Things that do go wrong now, will probably be put down to wear and tear so the warranty issuers will not cough-up anyway.

Come claim-time the peace of mind that extended warranties gives is often shattered when you study the policy and see what is not covered. If you do find a warranty, check the small print thoroughly. Best of luck:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
^^ Wise words...

TBH - why not just pay what you would spend on your policy, into a savings account set aside for the van......after a couple of years you will have sufficeient amount to cover most repairs, after five almost anything else that could possibly go wrong!

If you want added security in the next fews yeasr, take some from your savings pot to 'top up' and take it againout later, when you have built up a couple of grand in the van fund.

Chances are you will never need it...and there is enough advice on Fun to help you with most DIY jobs from resealing roof lights, side panels etc, to changing taps - all of which can be done for under £70 a few hours work.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
We're coming to the end of a three year extended MH warranty that has more than paid for itself, due to the roof leaking and being repaired under said warranty. Because of the large amount involved in the roof claim the warranty company don't seem interested in letting us renew it any further, even with a lowered maximum claim limit.

So, my query is this - is it possible to switch to a different company to extend the warranty still further, and has anybody successfully done this?

Sounds like the typical attitude there....

"We are glad to take your money as long as you don't make a claim."

You don't say why the roof leaked...Was it down to weathering of the materials or poor initial workmanship?

I'd rather automatically put away the cost of the premium as a "Holding Account" for the motorhome just in case...

Some very good advice here from Jim and Rainbow chasers especially if you look at all the "small print caveats" about what is not covered...

Very suspicious they didn't offer renewal at ANY cost....How old is the "van"?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
My advice, dont waste your money, insurance based warranties are if its broken/busted you may get some money, if its just worn out, you won't:cry:

Peter

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Walk away

Extended warranties make money for those that sell them and as Peter has said as a dealer.. If it breaks fine.. But you have to pay for the strip down work, they pay for the broken bit..if they can claim wear and tear.. The you get nothing.

Read the small print.

Bit like insurance for out of work on a loan... Limited and many many clauses ..

Self insure... Do what work needs to be done on a regular basis, kepyou motor home in the best condition you can, look for issues like damp, investin a damp meter.. The rest is common sense.. Few if any warranties are any good.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
to answer the O/P's original query.....just like motor insurance, you can choose to extend your warrenty with whoever will take you on.
if asked about previous claims, you would need to disclose any or it's one BIG get-out for them, and the premium will be higher.

wouldnt bother myself...too many get-out clauses and money down the drain.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
As an ex motor trader I used to spend more time talking people out of extended warranties than ever I did selling them.

And we made good commision selling them.

Having said that if your dealer has a good working relationship with the warranty company they can sometimes get a lot more covered than they should, the ones we put on our used cars was very good because we claimed on so few we never had a problem, but we used to warn our customers to bring it back to us or they would turn down almost every claim, we didn't charge any more for these than they cost us, just built it in to the price of the car at cost.

Personally I would save my money and not bother.

All the best Rick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back