alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
first time ever this last week ,pulled over by police into pull in and ministry checked over motor-home and checked diesel:Doh: found nothing but this was a first for me in over 30yrs of driving.

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
:Smile: Hi we have been pulled over and checked the disel several time's even did it once at the French/Spanish at Irun border they said they were checking for red disel in the tank as everything was ok just sent us on our way :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Tank check

Whereabouts were you pulled ? :Smile:
On the road just outside of Sedgfield on the way back to Bishop Auckland Co Durham.
Miserable bunch of buggers as well tried to be friendly ,they didn't or wouldn't have any conversation or smile .:Eeek::Eeek:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
It seems they are having a purge on.
In the last 6 weeks have been pulled on the A1 Scotch Corner and M6 Stafford for the same thing.
Maybe something to do with the price of used cooking oil going up:winky:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Having run trucks for many years it was not unusual to have one stopped every so often, even had the C&E visit my yard to dip the trucks.

I was stopped in the RV outside Wexford, Ireland a couple of years ago early in the morning by the Guarda (Police) on my way to catch the ferry from Rosslare and had the tank dipped, they had quite a queue of 4X4's Vans and pickups who were using the wrong diesel waiting to be impounded or fined! I think the rebated diesel is green in Ireland.

Regards Pat

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
They 'invited' me to be checked in a rural filling station a few years ago. Thing is, i was absolutely on the fumes, as id had some notes masking the gauge for the best part of the week. I was really lucky i didnt run out altogether.

Anyway, he dipped his tube in, and pumped....and pumped...and pumped. And asked if i actually had owt in at all. I said no - hence pulling in to a fuel station.:ROFLMAO:

He did end up getting some dregs out, along with all sorts of other crap.
I 'passed'.:ROFLMAO:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I had my tank dipped many years ago.......wait for it......

On a garge forcourt as I pulled in fpr diesel :ROFLMAO: true.

All the best Rick

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I did tow a transit (seizure) from one of these inspections a few years ago. The Police and Vosa lads were laughing their heads off.

What the 'lads' had done was 'try' to be too clever...only they were not too clever at all!

In order to fool the police/vosa man, they had strapped one of those big plastic containers (in cage) into the back of their van, and run a piece of pipe from there to the pump, via the front footwell, through the bulkhead etc. The original diesel tank just had some proper diesel in...they thought the Police would dip that if they were caught, and they would get away with it.

Things they forgot:

The first thing the police ask when stopping a van.
(What is in the back?)

Running a vehicle on chip fat made it smell distinctively of...chips!

Hardly a hard one to catch!:thumb:

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
The way the cost of diesel is going shouldent they be paying compensation for the loss of fuel? :winky::winky::winky:
Dave

sammy_n_brett

Free Member
Feb 15, 2011
walsall
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
cooking oil

hi all i notice a couple of comments regarding chip fat cooking oil i always understood you got so many miles free on that before you had to declare to pay tax?
Am i mis informed

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
hi all i notice a couple of comments regarding chip fat cooking oil i always understood you got so many miles free on that before you had to declare to pay tax?
Am i mis informed
You are allowed 2500 lts per year per person per household without paying road fuel tax.

sammy_n_brett

Free Member
Feb 15, 2011
walsall
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
cooking oil

i guess it is down to them to prove you use more than the limit lol

my next question could i run my direct injection 57 plait fiat ducato on it?

pausing for thought:RollEyes:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You can bet your bippy they are having a purge.. With the price of diesel as it is they were bound to :RollEyes:

Heating oil.
All the heating oil around here is white ( clear ) but be very careful !! It burns hotter than automotive diesel.
Not that I would advocate using it but god forbid you want to steal money from the govt you need to tame it down a fair bit.. a few litres of cooking oil will do nicely

And yes, you are now allowed to use cooking oil ( in fact you can buy a pucka processor for as little as £380 if you shop around ) but the price of old oil has gone through the roof lately ( again, no big surprise !! )

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Fraid not...older VWs and Mercedes will run on virtually anything oily without much modification, modern common rails and anything with a Lucas pump don't like it.
The old Bosch pumps will run anything within reason,including used filtered hydraulic oil,filtered cooking oil,even black diesel"old sump oil mixed with diesel at 50%"

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
On the road just outside of Sedgfield on the way back to Bishop Auckland Co Durham.
Miserable bunch of buggers as well tried to be friendly ,they didn't or wouldn't have any conversation or smile .:Eeek::Eeek:

That is the thing that really winds me up - I have no problem at all being stopped - the last thing I ever want to do is run illegal - and seeing as I pay all my dues I reckon so should everyone else then maybe just maybe the taxes will come down and the roads will be safer. BUT why cannot these folks just be cheerfull - if they cannot stand the job they are doing then get out - don't take it out on the public innocent or guilty. You get pulled over in a check and then get treated like a leper. Then they wonder why people detest them with a passion:Eeek::Eeek:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Last time I was stopped in a lorry ( 20 years ago ) the bloke was a total berk.
I said either treat me in a civil manner or you can sod off and call the police and explain to them why I am blocking a road and refuse to move.

Dickhead said he was above the police..
I said fine.. Locked the door and sat there.
Ten minutes later with lorries backing up behind me his 'supervisor' came over.. Told him the same as I told the first guy.

All apologies and smiles and on my way sir !!

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp

Not advised - modern high pressure systems are a little fussy!

SVO is thicker than derv, and in winter months may need an inline warmer to bring it no higher than 20 degrees. A standard engine will then run on it fine - though you will smell of chips, and everyone will think you are a tighwad! lol!

You need to change oil and filter every 3000 miles max - there is a chemical phenomenon with the reaction of svo and engine oil. It jellifies the engine oil - so use cheap stuff and replace regularly.

You may need some additives, millers sport do some. After this, you will need to join the queues of conpsiracy theorists at the supermarket......as SVO mirrors the forecourt price of Diesel......for some unknown reason! Whilst other oils are £1/litre or less.

Sunflower is an option but contains fat which needs to be separated in a plant.

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
your fault

Well, if you will visit disreputable places :roflmto::roflmto:
Wasyour fault anyway your suggestion to go to get my garage door sorted.

Couldn't find horse box repairs by the way. Either moved or closed.:cry::cry:

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
It isnt

It is still coloured RED !

Peterr
Nope ,your wrong,up our neck of the woods anyway its a very light yellowish color, as I live out in the sticks used it for years,no choice as no gas in village,also just changed my tank over a few weeks back from a metal to one of these green plastic things so had to transfer from one tank to the other ,couldn't actually see any difference to ordinary diesel,but there probably is ,it tasted the same :Blush::Blush: as I got a gob full siphoning it into drums and smelt the same too,god its making me wrench at the thought of it was burping deisel fumes for days Ugh !!. I tell you something else as well ,I now realize why we have filters ,never seen as much gunge in my life,the old tank was full of it,ended up tossing about 100ltrs ,wasn't going to even try cleaning it,just went to scrap yard with old metal tank? don't understand how it got so much muck in it as its delivered direct from dealer in an oil tanker. Saying that we have red diesel delivered to work for my forktrucks etc and it also sometimes get muck in it,and on occasions water.. Alan

Last edited:
OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Home made deisel

As we live out in the sticks theirs all sorts of stuff, floating about all legal and declared mind you:Blush: just in case !! you never know do you? :Doh:anyway as I was saying theirs all sorts of stuff and different mixtures floating about and on offer ,But!! I can also say 1 VW passatt estate,broke down took back under warranty refused to repair it ,new engine needed in excess of £5000 dodgy diesel. 1 sprinter van fairly new model ,knackered,can only get about half the power from it,again dodgy diesel. and that's just in our village alone!! Yet on the same tack ,a local lad does his own distilling etc ,has done for years ,and if done correctly its supposedly brilliant and once all equipment purchased less than quarter the price,and no tax as he only makes enough to do a couple of 1000 miles ,always makes just under the limit to be legal :thumb::thumb: as hes very honest . Honestly your Honor!! He once made some stuff from potatoes,god it burnt your throat Bad, we all Had headaches for weeks!! lol also ran his car great as well.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You can bet your bippy they are having a purge.. With the price of diesel as it is they were bound to :RollEyes:

Heating oil.
All the heating oil around here is white ( clear ) but be very careful !! It burns hotter than automotive diesel.
Not that I would advocate using it but god forbid you want to steal money from the govt you need to tame it down a fair bit.. a few litres of cooking oil will do nicely

And yes, you are now allowed to use cooking oil ( in fact you can buy a pucka processor for as little as £380 if you shop around ) but the price of old oil has gone through the roof lately ( again, no big surprise !! )
£380 ::bigsmile: from where ? I may invest in one- plenty of chippy oil around here :thumb:
Will my van run on it without problem ?1999 2.8 TD iveco come to that will the truck use it ?Mitsubishi warrior ?2.5 td - I am all for cheap fuel if it does no harm :Doh::ROFLMAO:
terry

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
£380 ::bigsmile: from where ? I may invest in one- plenty of chippy oil around here :thumb:
Will my van run on it without problem ?1999 2.8 TD iveco come to that will the truck use it ?Mitsubishi warrior ?2.5 td - I am all for cheap fuel if it does no harm :Doh::ROFLMAO:
terry
If bio fuel is made CORRECTLY.... MOST diesel engines will run without problem.Please don't get confused with WVO, waste veg oil and SVO, straight veg oil.
Biofuel has to be made not bought off the shelf in Tesco.
Having said that,there is a move towards biofuels and for some time now all the diesel sold on forecourts has been made up of 10% bio.
A good site to get info is "journey to forever" you will have to Google it as I don't know how to paste it on here.
I have been using 100% bio diesel for years in all my vehicles without any problem,covering thousands of miles.
Unfortunately there is more nonsense talked about biofuels than Aframes and gas attacks put together.
VW would not advise the use of biofuels if it would affect there warranty,and have advised the use of bio for years.
I hope this clarifies the matter and hope its of some help to those that are interested. My tin hat is on and waiting for the uninformed flack.

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
If bio fuel is made CORRECTLY.... MOST diesel engines will run without problem.Please don't get confused with WVO, waste veg oil and SVO, straight veg oil.
Biofuel has to be made not bought off the shelf in Tesco.
Having said that,there is a move towards biofuels and for some time now all the diesel sold on forecourts has been made up of 10% bio.
A good site to get info is "journey to forever" you will have to Google it as I don't know how to paste it on here.
I have been using 100% bio diesel for years in all my vehicles without any problem,covering thousands of miles.
Unfortunately there is more nonsense talked about biofuels than Aframes and gas attacks put together.
VW would not advise the use of biofuels if it would affect there warranty,and have advised the use of bio for years.
I hope this clarifies the matter and hope its of some help to those that are interested. My tin hat is on and waiting for the uninformed flack.
The diesel that blew up engine wasn't bio ,but a mixture of other types of fuel I think??:winky::winky: The lad who makes his own is like yourself ,has been running his for years with no problems,mind you his van and car arnt really modern . he actually distills his so not exactly sure what type it is ?? . Alan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back