Free Member
Aug 25, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Hi all, I have a compass calypso on a 1996 Fiat Ducato base & I am now having very serious dificulty selecting gears. The gear leaver will not go into the gear required. I've tried double the clutch etc but to no avail, I have even had to pull away in 3rd. When sellecting reverse the the gear grates prior to selection. Any serious advioce, background or informatiom would be gratefully received.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi and welcome..

Can you select gears when the engine is not running?

When you try to select gears with the engine running (other than reverse) does it "grind" then?

JJ

OP
OP
R

ruraldriver

Free Member
Aug 25, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Hi and welcome..

Can you select gears when the engine is not running?

When you try to select gears with the engine running (other than reverse) does it "grind" then?

JJ

Hi JJ,
Just been out & tried this.Yes I can select all forward gears when engine not running. Started her up & unable to select forward gears. Does this point to the clutch adjustment??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Has this suddenly happened or has it got worse over time?

At the moment I strongly suspect clutch trouble of some sort...

Does it make any strange noises when you depress the clutch pedal?

Has the van been standing over winter?

JJ

OP
OP
R

ruraldriver

Free Member
Aug 25, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Has this suddenly happened or has it got worse over time?

At the moment I strongly suspect clutch trouble of some sort...

Does it make any strange noises when you depress the clutch pedal?

Has the van been standing over winter?

JJ

Hi again JJ, There does not seem to be any different noises coming from depressing the clutch but this problem has been creeping up. I use the van 4 times a week to & from work about 42 mile round trip.

Bernie

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi Bernie... there will be Funsters who know much, much more about these things than me (and I am sure they will be along to advise soon) but I would guess a wearing clutch or stretching cable (if it has one.)

If you can adjust these things these days it would be the best (and cheapest) place to start...

JJ

OP
OP
R

ruraldriver

Free Member
Aug 25, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Bernie... there will be Funsters who know much, much more about these things than me (and I am sure they will be along to advise soon) but I would guess a wearing clutch or stretching cable (if it has one.)

If you can adjust these things these days it would be the best (and cheapest) place to start...

JJ

Cheers JJ, You are right Cheyne has sent me a private message so people are passing on their knowledge. BUT thanks for your quick response, I owe you a pint!
Thanks again, Bernie

wolly

Free Member
Aug 16, 2010
ripon n yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
40 plus motorhoming and tugin
wolly north yorkshire

Hi all, I have a compass calypso on a 1996 Fiat Ducato base & I am now having very serious dificulty selecting gears. The gear leaver will not go into the gear required. I've tried double the clutch etc but to no avail, I have even had to pull away in 3rd. When sellecting reverse the the gear grates prior to selection. Any serious advioce, background or informatiom would be gratefully received.
if you look on top of gearbox you will see two cables they go on to a bush and water from windowscreen runs down on to the top of cables and they tend to seizup.it is a easy job to free it get some one to sit in van and move gearleaver in to gears no need to have engine running.my citreon did the same as you say your van is dowing.where the pipe runs on top of the gearbox i exstended my pipes so the water runs away from the cables hope this helps.also put plentey of grease on top of cables when done.

OP
OP
R

ruraldriver

Free Member
Aug 25, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
if you look on top of gearbox you will see two cables they go on to a bush and water from windowscreen runs down on to the top of cables and they tend to seizup.it is a easy job to free it get some one to sit in van and move gearleaver in to gears no need to have engine running.my citreon did the same as you say your van is dowing.where the pipe runs on top of the gearbox i exstended my pipes so the water runs away from the cables hope this helps.also put plentey of grease on top of cables when done.

Cheers Wooly will try first thing tomorrow. Bernie

pheasantplucker

Free Member
Feb 14, 2011
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
4 years
Probably a silly point, but I had a Morris Oxford once and armed myself with replacement clutch to cure same problem. However, when I got underneath to remove gearbox bolts there were only 2 left and they were only hanging on by a couple of threads so depressing the clutch just moved the gearbox backwards!

PP

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Wolly is quite right, any of these base vehicles need the pipe extended and thrown down the back.

Just one question - is you speedo doing anything lately, like flickering needle? Only reason I ask is, the water ingress on these boxes can actually cause a bit of damage due to too much 'fluid' (water and oil) - It would be wise to use it as an excuse to drop the gearbox oil and change it after you have moved the pipe.

If you out some in an old jar and leave for a few hours, you will see it seperate if water is present.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
probably your thrust bearing for the clutch,does the vehicle still try to drive forward (dragging) when you press clutch pedal down, in gear with engine running. try starting engine with clutch down in 1st gear. if it moves forward,
then it must be a clutch problem.

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Probably a silly point, but I had a Morris Oxford once and armed myself with replacement clutch to cure same problem. However, when I got underneath to remove gearbox bolts there were only 2 left and they were only hanging on by a couple of threads so depressing the clutch just moved the gearbox backwards!

PP

Hi pheasantplucker - completely off-topic so I hope you're going to be pleasant ! This weekend I plucked and dressed 2 brace of pheasant - shot on the last day of the season - and I find it a long, tedious and thoroughly distasteful job, not to mention messy. I've been doing it for the past thirty years and every time I've wished for someone like you. Are you a professional plucker then? You don't fancy doing some extra curriculum plucking do you? I wouldn’t mind watching … :winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi pheasantplucker - completely off-topic so I hope you're going to be pleasant ! This weekend I plucked and dressed 2 brace of pheasant - shot on the last day of the season - and I find it a long, tedious and thoroughly distasteful job, not to mention messy. I've been doing it for the past thirty years and every time I've wished for someone like you. Are you a professional plucker then? You don't fancy doing some extra curriculum plucking do you? I wouldn’t mind watching:winky:
bit of a voyeur then are we :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back