mudmover

Free Member
Apr 30, 2010
Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
We have decided to get 3.5M medium privacy room for our pow profile MH.

We were going to buy used but now have founds several dealers offering for £470 delivered..

My question is ,do they come with the plastic sheet to fasten onto lower part of MH hence blocking under side of vehicle OR is this an extra?

Regarding conditions, do you have to be careful with wind, like when using awning on its own?

Thx for prompt answers...will purchase by wednesday latest....We are off to Padstow this weekend!

MM

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Can't specifically help , save to say we have got the Omnistor safari room and whilst the bit comes that blocks off the space under the M/H you need something to fix it too like an awning rail which we haven't got. We have some suckers but they are rubbish.

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
We have a safari room. The awning skirt that goes round the bottom is an extra and you do need a rail that the skirt fits into.

We have found that you have to treat it just as you would your awning, ie. if it is very windy take it down!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi mm we have a priversy room and it did not come with a skirt,as for wind it is not safe to leave up evan though we bought a strap to hold it down.never had it closed up as front seems to be 3-4 ins short had it changed tree times .all the same
would i buy another one?
no
dave

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!
My Fiamma Zip awning came with a skirt that fixes on with press studs. The stud kit had never been fitted but it is an easy job to do, just tape the skirt where you want it and mark where the studs need to go. Simply screw the studs to the bodywork. All the parts were with the new skirt stilll in it`s plastic bag.
I find the Zip type safari rooms a doddle to put up, on your own if need be, as opposed to my mates clamp on type. 2 hours and still not worked it out so it went back in the bag never to be seen again.:ROFLMAO:

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
i agree.....mine is a clip /clamp type. we just wind it out and put wind breakers around far more easy

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We never take our safari room down whatever the weather. We had a serious gale last year in Freshwater East Pembrokeshire. We had storm straps either side and one over the top and it didn't move.

The same could not be said for loads of caravan awnings which had bent poles and ripped sides.

You do need to put it up right though.

OP
OP
M

mudmover

Free Member
Apr 30, 2010
Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Privacy room

Well we've got one..........
It really looks technical to put up...Rather try in the presence of nobody::bigsmile:

Many thanks for all your excellent comments on the PR's

will post as to how we get on with it!

Rgds
MM

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Awning skirt

We have decided to get 3.5M medium privacy room for our pow profile MH.

We were going to buy used but now have founds several dealers offering for £470 delivered..

My question is ,do they come with the plastic sheet to fasten onto lower part of MH hence blocking under side of vehicle OR is this an extra?

Regarding conditions, do you have to be careful with wind, like when using awning on its own?

Thx for prompt answers...will purchase by wednesday latest....We are off to Padstow this weekend!

MM

Hi Mudmover

Other sources for Awning skirts are:

www.windbreakleisure.co.uk

www.jormaxwindbreaks.co.uk

We have the clip system, and its assembled and used in all weather, well tested in our pre Christmas cold spell, one extra we use is a "magic rafter" made by Fiamma, it adds a bit of stability. See John Cross web site.

Assembly of the base unit usually takes about 30 minutes, plus staking, which is left for me to do.

They are a good investment, IMHO.

Nomadic

sammy_n_brett

Free Member
Feb 15, 2011
walsall
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
fiamia awning

we have a 4 m awning brought 2nd hand £400 put the room up the other day took 30min once i had sussed the clamps marked them up so no probs next time round.
1 quiestion i have where can i buy the prestud kit for the skirt oh and i need a ground sheet too lol

ah the joys of being newbies

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
We found a seller on ebay who was very reasonable, sold various lengths and different depths too.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Well we've got one..........
It really looks technical to put up...Rather try in the presence of nobody::bigsmile:
Many thanks for all your excellent comments on the PR's
will post as to how we get on with it!
Rgds
MM

Some small tips.......if I may.:Cool:

During our brief (12 months) toe dipping experience into the caravan world, (that was enough for me!!!!!:Eeek:) we got a Zip awning for our twin axle.
Granted, as full timers, ours was up a lot, but even so, using the 28 day rule, that meant it was only assembled/disassembled 12 to 15 times over the year and we do try to be carefull with our kit and not just batter it.

In that time, the plastic twist locks on the extending poles failed to hold on at least 3 poles.
I ended up splitting them and filing some knurling into the plastic bungs to help them grip.

On the outside, just below the windows, are some exterior loops for optional extra guide ropes .
I fitted the ropes to mine and even tho I was carefull not to tension them too much, the flapping of the awning in the wind meant that the loops started to rip out of the material and also, cracks started to appear near the stitching along the bottom of thee window.
In hindsight, I think it would be better to leave these extra ropes off and allow the walls to just flap a bit.

Be carefull how much tension you put into the awning when errecting. We all like a nice, straight, crease free awning, it looks neat, but I found that the tension needed to gain this, especially in cold weather wheen the plastic is hard and brittle, meant that excessive strain was being placed on zips and fasteners.

In summary
A good bit of kit but one which has its weeknesses and has to be treated carefully.
IMHO, WAY over priced for what it is.
Would I buy another?..........No.:Doh:

HTH

OP
OP
M

mudmover

Free Member
Apr 30, 2010
Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Priv Room

Wow...this site really is fantastic!

The contribution from you all shows great support and passion for our interest!

All points take and noted!
MM

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
My Fiamma Zip awning came with a skirt that fixes on with press studs. The stud kit had never been fitted but it is an easy job to do, just tape the skirt where you want it and mark where the studs need to go. Simply screw the studs to the bodywork. All the parts were with the new skirt stilll in it`s plastic bag.
I find the Zip type safari rooms a doddle to put up, on your own if need be, as opposed to my mates clamp on type. 2 hours and still not worked it out so it went back in the bag never to be seen again.:ROFLMAO:

Likewise with ours. The only time assistance is handy is when threading the front panel in its groove.
We only put ours up if stopping more than a couple of nights. Have been in some horrendous winds with no problems. Groundsheet is optional depending on the floor conditions.
Would I buy another - definitely yes.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back