Waiting and wondering (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since April 2011
Waiting for delivery of a Bessacarr E560 I have been looking around what I need. So far I have got up to

Alarm - one that works off the central locking
Cycle rack for 2 bikes
Double din sat nav
Awning sides
2 bikes for the bike rack
Waste hose
Levellers
Television

It's already got the reverse camera and tv arial, "free" from dealer. We have organised secure indoor storage locally.

I have already booked into sites over the big Easter double weekend and we
plan to go to Croatia in the summer

I am interested in opinions on what I should have and what other newbies did while waiting

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Waste hose ????

for what purpose please.

more important would be a hose to fill, not empty, and a selection of tap adaptors. unless you dont mind packing away just to drive to a tap to refill. :Doh:

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Waiting for delivery of a Bessacarr E560 I have been looking around what I need. So far I have got up to

Alarm - one that works off the central locking
Cycle rack for 2 bikes
Double din sat nav
Awning sides
2 bikes for the bike rack
Waste hose
Levellers
Television

You got it about right, maybe some camping chairs for siiting in the sun, all available with Funsters discount:thumb:

Don't forget plates, cups, cutlery etc and if your a real Funster the Beer glasses.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
Coldstreamer

Hi Philh,
The most important single item in a van is 'Power,' check how many batteries, what size and don't forget the bigger the van the bigger the demand.
I would suggest, decent Solar Panel at least three leisure batteries and a 1000 watt inverter.
I have a Hymer swing, fairly small van, I have added the above to all our vans and never needed a hook-up in 15 years, winter or summer.
As a project while your waiting try and calculate how much power you will use in 24 hrs, i.e. Water pump for taps and shower, lights are they low power. Televsion and all the bits yoou need. Will you manage just on 12volt?? Winter time is the killer for power, try running your heater for 4 hrs and you soon knock the batteries down.
All that is part of the fun and excitement, its a great learning curve.
Lots of Luck and enjoy, Mac

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Forgot, you will need a mains hook uip lead and a continental connector for Croatia plus food grade water hose plus a gas bottle, we normally give newbies a starter pack to get them going.

When you collect your van make sure on handover that all the appliances/heating are demonstrated to you and are actually working,

Good luck and happy travels

Peter

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Watering can for filling up and bucket for emptying, recliners, ale & wine.

Rgds
Bill

Upvote 0

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Welcome, Phil and brood!!

Suggestions:

1 Don't buy anything much more till you've got some experience. It's easy to get carried away.

2 In particular, think carefully about solar bits and pieces. If you're touring with that brood, on holiday, you won't need much electricity, especially if it's sunny. If you're on campsites, your family will have much more fun mixing with locals in the bars, watching local TV!! If you're not on campsites, just enjoy each other a bit more. (I'm aware that working accountants, like lawyers, bill about 42 hours per day!)

3 Don't get more kids.

Cheers

Tony

Upvote 0

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
On the domestic front, don't buy clothes hangers. They were a complete waste of time and those that weren't in use just rattled around all the time. I just take the hangers, with clothes attached, straight from the wardrobe into the MH. Who's going to take clothes off indoors and then put them back on the hangers in the MH. Bonkers! ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Ivy

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Dunno how much storage you have but we have 2 folding buckets, one for fresh* (with a bendy funnel) and one for waste when we need to empty and can't get close enough to a drain.

* This is because it takes up a lot less room than a 'proper' bucket. But - you won't know how much you have until you pack the van up, will you?

:Doh:

If you are getting this from a dealer, you will surely get at least one gas cylinder???? - how can they demonstrate the appliances without? - they should also put some fresh water in the tank to show you how to 'bleed' the system from empty, and demo that all the taps and loo flush work properly.

Once we 'get going' any time now, we don't completely unpack the van every time so we have another eg cruet, sauces, washing up liquid, roll of bin bags, toothpaste & brushes etc etc etc in the van. We only have to top up with whatever fresh and/or frozen food we take on each trip to start us off. I also have favourite utensils (eg a tea-bag squeezer!) that I am lost without, so one in the house, one in the van.

Playing cards - and a cribbage board!

Why don't you have a nice afternoon out at a large camping shop, browse and make a shopping or 'wish' list?

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I carry 2 FW hoses 1 x 12m & 1 x 30m, neither food grade as we tend to drink water from a 5ltr container. As mentioned several adaptors and the best thing we've bought in quite a while is the following which saves trying to hold the hose in the filler especially in wet weather.
http://*********************/heoswater-blue-connection-p-156.html

I would also suggest you make up your own additional hook lead of no more than 15 metres, handy for the EHU's near MH saving flaking out the supplied lead which becomes a trip hazard.

Enjoy

For some reason post will not accept and display link so google "Outdoor Bits" and look for Heoswater Blue Connection!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Philh
Jan 22, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since April 2011
Thanks for the useful advice - it's great!

It gives me a good excuse to go and spend money!:thumb:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

For some reason post will not accept and display link so google "Outdoor Bits" and look for Heoswater Blue Connection!

Not sure but i think the link is to the online retail "shop" URL of the dark sides owner and is a banned link on fun.:thumb:

Upvote 0

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Waste hose ????

for what purpose please.

I carry a waste hose (flexible pipe). Useful if lucky enough to be on a pitch that has a service drain for grey. Saves using the folding bucket (which I also have). I don't think it would wise to use one hose for both fresh and waste purposes. :thumb:

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Bottle Jack
Breaker bar
Hi Viz vests
Tarpaulin
Triangle
Torch/strobe
Spanner for gas bottle
1 multi screwdriver.
Gaffa Tape (clear)

Bottle jack (or two) needs to be a large one, have a breaker bar too - punctures and blow outs happen. The vans' jack is great for a front tyre - no good for the rear - you will need a bottle jack, a large one, and a decent breaker bar.

Hi Viz vests, will stop you being squashed like a bug whilst changing it, and keeps your guard (watch keeper) safe too. Along with the triangle. The torch can help you see, leave a strobe (bicycle) light near the triangle.

Should you need the breakdown man, carry a tarp!! It will keep your family dry and out of the wind or even direct sun whilst they wait on the verge.

Spanner for gas bottle, always have a spare - use adjustable as you may need to change ends if abroad. Multi screwdriver is handy for changing hoses, tightening clips etc!

Clear gaffa in case you clip a skirt, break a window etc - keeps it intact and stops further tearing until you get home.:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Philh
Jan 22, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since April 2011
Hi all. Still waiting and only two weeks to go.:thumb:

Thanks for the great advice, it is appreciated. I have bought "stuff" that I think I need following what you all said.

Not sure about the Fray Bentos, never tried an Argentian pie before.

Sites are booked for the double Easter break and we plan to go to Croatia in July.

Fingers crossed the delivery promise is met!!!

Upvote 0

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
When you do travel abroad there are things you must carry by law in different countries such as:

High vis. vest (one for each occupant) capable of being donned without getting out of the vehicle (France and other countries)
I you need glasses to drive you must have a spare pair (Spain)
You must have a warning triangle (2 in Spain)
You must have a set of spare lamps that fit your vehicle (Lots of countries)
Beam benders (Everywhere that drives on the right)
If your vehicle is over 3.5 tonnes you'll need speed stickers (France)

Anywhere you go you will need a bottle opener and a corkscrew as well as glasses for drinking the necter - it's so unbecoming swigging a decent claret straight from the bottle ::bigsmile:
A basic tool kit will be handy probably no more than a couple of shifters, some screwdrivers, a stanley knife (retractable), electricians tape, a roll of gaffer tape (duct tape), a hammer
A decent flashlight
Lots of non slip matting (helps stop all your crocks and things rattling around in the cupboards and the grill pan making a racket in the oven)
A decent atlas of whatever country you'll be in (sat. navs. have been known to fail)
Folding chairs and table.
Instead of an expensive safari room look here <http://www.mysunshade.co.uk/page4.html> You might find them adequate for your purpose.
You might decide to put a breathable ground sheet down when you pitch up - like this, for example <http://www.riverswayleisure.co.uk/acatalog/info_640686.html>
Bedding is a very personal preference. There are those who use sleeping bags and those who use conventional bedding. What we do is this: we bought a quilted mattress cover the right size for the bed and cut down a duvet cover to fit it. This goes on the bed and stays there. A duvet of suitable tog and the right size is spread on top and then folded back during the day and the pillows more or less stay in place. Works very well for us, but no use if you don't have a fixed (or pull down) bed.

The one thing that nearly all new owners do though is spend lots of money on things that seem essential only to find that they hardly get used (if at all). Much more economical to wait and see if the 'must have' accessory will really be of benefit once you have started to fit in to the lifestyle.

Just a few ideas that you may (or may not) find useful.

John

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Philh
Jan 22, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since April 2011
Hi John

Thanks for the comprehensive post - you are kind.

I have most of the things you mention, the non slip matting is a good idea.

My wife is the bedding expert and she has acquired shaped duvet etc.

We bought the Lillypads sunshades from the NEC show together with lightweight breathable groundsheet, much of the rest we have from camping days.

Good advice on not buying too much, I'll tell my wife.

Can't wait now, it's getting to the exciting stage. I'll take my camera when we collect and post up some pictures..

Only 10 more sleeps...........:Smile::Smile::Smile:

Again thanks all for your help

Phil&Gill

Upvote 0

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Thanks for the useful advice - it's great!

It gives me a good excuse to go and spend money!:thumb:
Hi Phil,
You will certainly do that if your're not careful.If you have the motorhome at home then have a dummy run and "live" in it for a weekend.Not as daft as it sounds:Smile:
Take a pen and paper with you and then go to the nearest accessory dealer,if not you will end up with stuff you don't need
Best bit of advice ever.ENJOY:winky:

Regards, John P:thumb:

Upvote 0
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I carry 2 FW hoses 1 x 12m & 1 x 30m, neither food grade as we tend to drink water from a 5ltr container. As mentioned several adaptors and the best thing we've bought in quite a while is the following which saves trying to hold the hose in the filler especially in wet weather.

I would also suggest you make up your own additional hook lead of no more than 15 metres, handy for the EHU's near MH saving flaking out the supplied lead which becomes a trip hazard.

Enjoy

I have a shortened hook up lead (10mtrs) that I use for hook up when the M/H is parked up at home, I did consider taking that away on my travels but even at that length it is quite heavy and bulky, so it goes against my principles of taking duplicates of anything. :Smile:

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Philh
Jan 22, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since April 2011
The big day is nearly upon us::bigsmile:

It's tomorrow at 11am we collect our new motorhome:thumb:

We have to use something called "public transport" to get to Glossop because we both want to bring it home together.

Camera is on charge, credit card is on charge, bank account emptied.

It's been an exciting few weeks buying stuff and looking at places to go.

Day booked off work so straight home, load up and off somewhere for the weekend.

Apprehensive but excited is a good summary.

One more sleep.:Smile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back