Disposing of grey water (2 Viewers)

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Hi, we’ve booked a campsite in a couple of weeks but learnt they don’t have a drive over drain to dispose of grey water.
Just the usual disposal stations that we used to use when we caravanned.
Any suggestions on the best solution. Didn’t want to have to carry a wastemaster.

F.M.C.Fourier

Free Member
Jun 4, 2011
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 724FB
Exp
Since 1987
With my previous van, I could not get a Wastemaster underneath the outlet (damn silly design and a major bugbear). I just used to empty into a medium sized washing up bowl and then carry this to the nearest service point. It was not ideal but it was the best option I could come up with and I always tried to get fairly close to a service point.

PS I could not get a bucket under the outlet either - but yes, a bucket is a better idea than the washing up bowl.

Deleted User
Open your tap and ..................

DFC7CFF4-E699-49EF-8F92-E76F36F9FFBB.jpeg

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
We carry a greywater hose, split into 2m and 3m lengths with connectors. This is usually enough to reach normal waste sites. Otherwise - just use a bucket and hand carry to the drain (we have a collapsable one we use for all sorts of jobs).
That's what we do.

Also useful for the odd site where they tell you to discharge grey water straight into the hedgerow or a "french drain"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TheMachMan
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Thanks, outlet looks too low for a bucket and it’s almost in the middle of the VPN’s underside. So not easy to reach.
Hose sounds good idea. Any particular suppliers and adaptor recommendations appreciated.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Collapsible bucket. You don't need to fully expand so it's easier to get under a slightly low outlet tap. Also means it doesn't take up a lot of space in the van when not in use (a decent waterproof bag for storage is useful).

Similarly collapsible watering can (Colapz), to top up the freshwater tank, without having to move the pitched van.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We use a bucket a lot of the time, everytime I go to fill a watering can I run off a bucket of waste water, I'm going to the service point anyway so i't not even an extra trip.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Depends what sort of site you are on. We are fulltimers and have been on a small CS site for nearly 15 weeks!

Hedges by the side of our pitch get our grey water. Some site owners would be upset by this, others encourage it.

Paul

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Thanks, outlet looks too low for a bucket and it’s almost in the middle of the VPN’s underside. So not easy to reach.
Hose sounds good idea. Any particular suppliers and adaptor recommendations appreciated.

Might want to modify that if possible, nothing worse than a hard to reach outlet.

Saying that, some sites do make it quite difficult. I was at a site in Aberdeenshire not so long ago where the small drain for grey waste was annoyingly difficult to get at. On a bit of a bend with a small overhang to look out for on the building and then when parked up you are blocking 2 other routes past you.

Can't beat a good old drive on slab of cement sloped down to a full width drain. Open your tap anywhere and gravity takes care of the rest.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Might want to modify that if possible, nothing worse than a hard to reach outlet.

Saying that, some sites do make it quite difficult. I was at a site in Aberdeenshire not so long ago where the small drain for grey waste was annoyingly difficult to get at. On a bit of a bend with a small overhang to look out for on the building and then when parked up you are blocking 2 other routes past you.

Can't beat a good old drive on slab of cement sloped down to a full width drain. Open your tap anywhere and gravity takes care of the rest.
Or as on most American sites. Full plumbed in sewerage?. When it comes to our pastime the Yanks definitely have it sorted.! (y)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Collapsible bucket. You don't need to fully expand so it's easier to get under a slightly low outlet tap. Also means it doesn't take up a lot of space in the van when not in use (a decent waterproof bag for storage is useful).

Similarly collapsible watering can (Colapz), to top up the freshwater tank, without having to move the pitched van.
I use a collapsible bucket, as you say useful for all sorts of things including washing my hair using the dunking method and washing clothes in european sites with no sink plugs.
I find it sort of combines the “Carrying to the drain” method with the “letting it go dribble” method as a lot sloshes out when trying to remove the full bucket from the waste drain tap due to the wibbly wobbly sides !:roflmto:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a Fiamma wheeled tote tank a collapsible plastic bucket and the standard 1.2m plastic waste hose provided by Hymer to use when the bucket or tank will not go below the outlet. I also carry a long length of flexible hose where I can dump straight to a drain etc.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
You are rarely the first to encounter such problems. Ask the Warden what others do, there is usually a spot where gravity will take it to a drain.

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
If you can't get bucket or such like underneath sometimes outlet will twist left or right to give slight more clearance

JohnJan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
England
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Grey water can smell don't dump around pitch, let it go at the right spot.....
Ref above, we had a hire van to try prior to purchase and the grey water release was a handle jutting out from the side at the midsection and on looking at it, someone had bodged it with mastic. SWMBO was having a shower in the shower block while I was fettling with said handle then whoosh, the chuffing thing came off(reason for the mastic!) and on the hard pitch at Oxford CCC flowed about 80 litres of strangely smelling liquid. I was torn between cursing and laughing while trying to refit the handle. OH showed up and said "Can you smell cabbage?" which was the overwhelming smell until we left the next day!!
Be careful where you let go!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The Colapz grey waste pipe is a great solution, may be a little pricey especially when compared to the bucket solution but well worth it if like me you like the convenience and ease (y)

Flexi waste pipe kit

View attachment 403305
A MUCH cheaper solution that does exactly the same job.... look on eBay for an extending hose for a Henry hoover. About £11 for a 1.5m that extends to 11m and just so happens to fit the waste water outlet on many vans. Easy to store in the garage or under the van in a length of plastic downpipe. held up with some matching clips

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back