Tyres (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have just finished washing the van prior to an outing next weekend to attend a wedding in Edinburgh. The Service and MOT are due the next week so I had a look at the tyres The front are down to 3mm and the rear 7mm, this is after 18,500 miles and 3 years.

When I put two new tyres for the front should I have them fitted on the rear, moving the two rear tyres to the front to wear them out rather than renew them at 6 years old still with usable tread on them? I reckon I'll get only another 2-3k miles from them on the front but at least 5k on the rear.

Your thoughts please.

Rgds
Bill

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I agree with peter.

fronts are doing the driving, steering and most of the stopping.

ideally the tyres, when all new, should be rotated at intervals either diagonally front to back or a straight swap front to back.

that way they all get worn more or less equally.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Always put new tyres on the REAR this is manufacturers of tyres that state this and a good tyrefitter will know

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5YsQ_a_ijA[/ame]

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hi there and thanks for posting that video,we own a retail tyre outlet and it is almost impossible trying to convince people that have two tyres fitted to have them fitted to the rear:RollEyes:but about 3 yrs ago i went to MIRA with michelin and did that very test and it did exactly what it said on your posted video:whatthe:it was an eye opener.regards brian jo and josh:thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Ex Pirelli employee :roflmto:
people will not believe you when you tell them

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaXXrKFJctU&feature=related[/ame]

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
hi there and thanks for posting that video,we own a retail tyre outlet and it is almost impossible trying to convince people that have two tyres fitted to have them fitted to the rear:RollEyes:but about 3 yrs ago i went to MIRA with michelin and did that very test and it did exactly what it said on your posted video:whatthe:it was an eye opener.regards brian jo and josh:thumb:

Very enlightening!! Many years ago as an apprentice part of a vehicle service was the diagonal wheel change (I remember it well, as the apprentice it fell on me to do the donkey work) Giving it some thought now I suppose it made sense, given that most cars then were rear wheel drive those tyres were probably the most worn and therefore the wheel change was moving the lesser worn tyres to the rear.:thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Ok...i stand corrected, but she shouldnt have been going so damned fast anyway....it was wet ya know ! :ROFLMAO:

Its a common misconception putting new tyres on the front, and some people will not hear of putting them on the rear, but it is dangerous if you get it wrong as if you loose the back end you will probably loose all control

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Here is my view as a qualified motor technician..............
Fitting the new tyres to the rear is done purely to ensure that the wheels with the most grip remain at the the rear. This is to ensure that the vehicle, when traction is broken during cornering, will understeer rather than oversteer. Understeer is considered easier to correct then understeer. Considering most drivers are not Lewis Hamilton, this is the safer solution to the fitting of a pair of new tyres on a car.
HOWEVER-
- A lot of new vehicles have ABS and ESP. It matters not a jot where the most grip is in this case.
-A car has a nearly 50/50 weight distribution. A motorhome has more like 35/65. Those tyres on the back are being pushed nearly twice as hard into the tarmac, creating nearly twice the grip of the front ones, compensating for their tread wear. Remember, tractive force is the product of the coefficient of traction of the tyre, multiplied by the force pushing down on it.
-How many motorhomes are driven 'on the limit' in bends? Not many if you value your crockery!
-Where would you rather have your best tyres fitted if you are on snow or a wet rally field?
-Are there any vids on Youtube showing aquaplaning commercial vehicles, which is what a motorhome is, after all? The search is on!

For motorhome applications, I would rather have my new tyres on the drive axle, however you pays your money and takes your choice!:Smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Decision made, new tyres on the rear axle. Given that there is still a lot of meat on the old rear tyres, 7mm, I think I shall be okay for grip on grass etc. I just don't want to dump a tyre in three years that still has 5 or 6mm of tread on it.

Many thanks for all who contributed.

Bill

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
yes i have to admit jon i do agree on most points,because in the thread we started talking about motorhomes and ended up talking about cars.but your point about the weight distribution is absolutely correct.but going back to my day at MIRA when i was involved in that test,the cars that were used were fitted with abs:whatthe:if i think on tomorrow i will call michelins technical dept.and get their views on fitting two new tyres to a motorhome:thumb: regards brian:thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Decision made, new tyres on the rear axle. Given that there is still a lot of meat on the old rear tyres, 7mm, I think I shall be okay for grip on grass etc. I just don't want to dump a tyre in three years that still has 5 or 6mm of tread on it.

Many thanks for all who contributed.

Bill

LOL! We always go off on a tangent on the forums!
I agree with your solution to your problem Will! The rears have lots of tread left and will be fine on your front drjven wheels as well as satisfying the 'new tyres on rear' arguement!
The speed at which your fronts have worn is of interest. Our last FWD MH, an Elddis on a Boxer had hardly any wear on the front tyres at 14K when we sold it.
It must be the hard work yours have done dragging that van up those Scottish hillls! We live in a somewhat flatter area!::bigsmile:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
LOL! We always go off on a tangent on the forums!
I agree with your solution to your problem Will! The rears have lots of tread left and will be fine on your front drjven wheels as well as satisfying the 'new tyres on rear' arguement!
The speed at which your fronts have worn is of interest. Our last FWD MH, an Elddis on a Boxer had hardly any wear on the front tyres at 14K when we sold it.
It must be the hard work yours have done dragging that van up those Scottish hillls! We live in a somewhat flatter area!::bigsmile:

Just reading this article and notice you love Mountain Biking......In Norfolk.....:RollEyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sounds good to me.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Just reading this article and notice you love Mountain Biking......In Norfolk.....:RollEyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sounds good to me.

LOL! Good observation! We are so lucky to have our MH to take us to the mountains!

NOW THEN!
I have a worn back tyre on my Giant VT2 mountain bike. It is due replacement.
Does anyone know if it is best to put the new one on the back or the front?:ROFLMAO:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
LOL! Good observation! We are so lucky to have our MH to take us to the mountains!

NOW THEN!
I have a worn back tyre on my Giant VT2 mountain bike. It is due replacement.
Does anyone know if it is best to put the new one on the back or the front?:ROFLMAO:

Depends whether you need the grip for going down them thar Mountains.....Or Up.

Now...What did this guy do?

Back on thread....Personally I replace in pairs on the Cars/RV after finding out why they wore and the reason for it.Might be tracking or wrong pressures.I never rotate tyres..

Link Removed

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
"It must be the hard work yours have done dragging that van up those Scottish hillls! We live in a somewhat flatter area"

I must admit a lot of our mileage the last 18 months has been on single track roads up hill and down glen! Thinking of Holland this year, nice and flat!

Rgds
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back