maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Putting together a (very) basic toolkit for the soon-to-be-mine van, with gas spanner at the top of the list. Then I find that they come in 2 sizes - 25mm or 27mm. How do I know which I need? I'd thought they were all the same size. :Confused: Van will be using propane BTW.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Gas spanner

Hi, as you are going to full time in your van, it may be a good idea to get refillable gas fitted. It costs about half the price to fill up from the petrol station. So 2 x 11kg would cost appron £20 to refill, but about £42 to buy refills. You can also get aluminum gas tanks fitted (which I have) as they are half the weight. Got them from Conrad Anderson at Birmingham on advice fom Bobandjane.

Sue

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
unless you have plenty of room above and around your cylinders, a spanner is a pain in the ass.

change your pigtail hose for one with a handwheel.

Link Removed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi, as you are going to full time in your van, it may be a good idea to get refillable gas fitted. It costs about half the price to fill up from the petrol station. So 2 x 11kg would cost appron £20 to refill, but about £42 to buy refills. You can also get aluminum gas tanks fitted (which I have) as they are half the weight. Got them from Conrad Anderson at Birmingham on advice fom Bobandjane.

Sue

Hi Sue - thanks for that. I've already started questioning whether I really want Calor bottles. I'm getting the van without any gas bottles - which would mean taking out an initial contract with Calor. The gas locker is designed to take 2 x 11kg bottles, but Calor don't do that size. The locker isn't big enough to take 2 x 13kg Calor bottles, just 1 x 13 kg and 1 x 6 kg. 6 kg refills seem very expensive in relation to 13 kg refills.

I've been reading (a lot) about Gaslow and Alugas in these forums, and am still not sure about the legality/simplicity/safety of refilling them. A fitted tank seems to do away with most of these problems.

Upvote 0

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Well I thought as no one was going to tell you the size I would---but

Just been outside to look at my 6Kg propane botttles and measure the spanner that lives in there with them and-----its 30mm

Upvote 0

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
So now you know - take 25, 27 and 30mm plus a few AF sizes and the odd Whitworth*, and you'll be able to dismantle a thread as long as this one.

The basic rule with tool kits is that you have a large collection, including the thing for getting boy scouts out of horses hooves, but not incluidng the one you need.

Answer: park near another funster.

* Oh and BA to BF as well.

Upvote 0

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Maz

I'm glad you asked the question... I was not aware there were different sizes, there you go....:Doh:

Dissapointed with some of the replies on this thread...We all have to start somewhere...

As always

ShiftZZ

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i use an adjustable at the moment but looking into a changeover set up then you only need the spanner to remove the bottles

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back