Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We arer having a D lock fitted to the hab door when the van goes for its habitation check at Marquis end of Feb for £120 is this a good price or can you tell me anywhere cheaper.
We want them fitted to the cab door also but they said they do not deal with that and that Fiat will do it (for a price)
We thought that s the van is in fort its habitation check we might as well have this done at the same time as we are off to France end of March and would feel safer that the hab door is protected but would like some advice on the cab doors.
I did read that it could be done manually with the key fob and that the facility was built into the new Fiat cab doors but as the alarm is utilised through that the facility is now not available, anyone make any sense of that?

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Trisn n Tez, we have Heosafe deadlocks fitted to our cab doors. They are very easy to fit, a D.I.Y. job in fact.

Link Removed

Brisey

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp

Attachments

• Bobs Germany 2010 029.jpg
    Bobs Germany 2010 029.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 35

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
so you are going to the wild west? - France

We arer having a D lock fitted to the hab door when the van goes for its habitation check at Marquis end of Feb for £120 is this a good price or can you tell me anywhere cheaper.
We want them fitted to the cab door also but they said they do not deal with that and that Fiat will do it (for a price)
We thought that s the van is in fort its habitation check we might as well have this done at the same time as we are off to France end of March and would feel safer that the hab door is protected but would like some advice on the cab doors.
I did read that it could be done manually with the key fob and that the facility was built into the new Fiat cab doors but as the alarm is utilised through that the facility is now not available, anyone make any sense of that?

We have never had any issues in France or for that matter anywhere in the world in 30 years of travelling. why? we think about where we park or go. We do not park up on a motor way aires..that is if you can get in them for trucks at night.. we think carefully where we stop. We have a safe on board yes, and we have good locks plus we have a VanBitz strike back alarm system that allows us to set the outside while we sleep. We keep cab doors locked on the move so we are safe at lights from snatches.. we do not stop if bumped or someone is pointing..we go to a light area lots of people like a fuel station.. we do not fall for distraction robbery as we are aware of it.

So why risk a lot of damage to the motorhome trying to stop someone breaking in? you can have dead locks fiited yes.. but they could soon smash a side window or worse a body window if they wanted to get in.
I think sometimes we go a little over board, and we need to think out side the box.. park in a safe place at nights or on a campsite or with other campers in an aires. Nothing is guarenteed these days. But I do honestly think you are wasting your money.. by fitting a D bar you are saying I have something of value in the motor home.. better a very loud alarm system.. VanBitz strike back has an option.. the extra horns at the rear of the motorhome (we have them) and the defening devils wail in the cab.. to loud to stay in an enclosed space as it damages the ears. (we did not have this due to the dog we leave on board at times - to risky for her health should the alarms be sounded)...That will stop a person in his tracks.

But D bars.. no.. to much of an invite in my books...but your dosh.

Bob:Eeek:

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks all who replied and to Bob we do have an alarm but that doesnt stop anybody these days just look at the one sthat go off in car parks, everybody just walks by and doesnt take any notice of them.
I hear what you are saying about being aware but surely that isnt enough and that some people do get robbed even though they are aware?
We also leave a dog in the van sometimes as she is getting old and doesnt want to come with us , she would not stop anyone getting in, she would just look at them in wonderment!!! plus you mentioned the noise, probably would damage their eardrums or something worse? with their sensitive hearing?

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Plus I am of the mind that if you see these locks on Motorhomes the opportunist would go to the next easier target???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
that is why we do not have the devils whail

Thanks all who replied and to Bob we do have an alarm but that doesnt stop anybody these days just look at the one sthat go off in car parks, everybody just walks by and doesnt take any notice of them.
I hear what you are saying about being aware but surely that isnt enough and that some people do get robbed even though they are aware?
We also leave a dog in the van sometimes as she is getting old and doesnt want to come with us , she would not stop anyone getting in, she would just look at them in wonderment!!! plus you mentioned the noise, probably would damage their eardrums or something worse? with their sensitive hearing?

Ezzie is the same, lick them to death..she may be 76 kgs but she is a big softy. We did not have the Devil wail fitted as it would damage her ears if it went off.. that is what it is designed to do.. disrupt a person breaking in.. hence strike back.

We have now and then forgot to de arm the internal alarm and when she rolls over sets it off.. does not cause her to much of a problem as the 4 horns are under the body of the RV but everyone else in the car park knows about it.

Our RV has a factory fitted Ford alarm, but our insurance wanted a Thatham so we have two sets of alrams fitted. we arm both.. But the view is if you spend all the money on locks it will not stop someone taking a window out or smashing it.

I still go with parking sensibly and then it does not happen..do not leave sat nav's on show or the holding clips on the windows... we put outside screens on at night that makes it hard to get to the cab windows... we alram the outside and inside if we are all out of the RV. have put the screens on even in a shopping car park..takes only a few minutes to do..cannot be taken off without the doors open as they slide over the door tops and sides. Plus no one can see in.. we keep the side blinds down.. plus we have warnings about the dog on the door.

France is no worse than here, Spain is a little worse, but you cater for it.

Bob:Eeek:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
fully agree with you on that Brian

A thief will.

While those not involved will ignore it going off, I doubt a thief would want to carry on with an alarm and lights going.. someone just may take some interest.. burgulars and I count tiefs in that tend to want to not be noticed.

So I agree with Brain on this fully.

Bob:thumb:

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Trisn n Tez, we have Heosafe deadlocks fitted to our cab doors. They are very easy to fit, a D.I.Y. job in fact.

Link Removed

Brisey

Just had an email from them, they dont do any for the new Fiat, more's the pity!!!

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
While those not involved will ignore it going off, I doubt a thief would want to carry on with an alarm and lights going.. someone just may take some interest.. burgulars and I count tiefs in that tend to want to not be noticed.

So I agree with Brain on this fully.

Bob:thumb:

True, hadnt thought of it that way, just noticed lots of people ignoring car alarms going off, although the owner would probably be interested.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi T n T
I have all my doors and lockers alarmed and inside sensors, I asked about the D locks at a dealers they said it was a waste as any thief wanting in would get in through a window, lets face it they are flimsey. Pete :thumb::thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i am pretty much in belief of hidden security as in the old days if you fitted a padlock to the rear doors of your transit van someone would always have a go at it just because they assumed there was something worth breaking in for.

so i would say if you want to make something more secure don't advertise it.
hidden central door locking solenoids that push bolts through the doors/and casings etc.
if it cant be seen from the outside they assume its not there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back