MPG on my Hiace 2.8 diesel auto year 1995 (1 Viewer)

seafarer

Free Member
Jan 27, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Toyota Hiace Campervan
Exp
Since 1974
I have just done a calculation of the MPG of my campervan after its delivery from Plymouth to north Manchester. Using a full tank at Plymouth and distance on the tripometer to destination was 350 miles.
Filled up with 29.32 litres of diesel and when converted using distance covered, equates to 55 MPG which I think is very good indeed.
Can anyone substantiate my calculations ?
The Hiace is 17 years old and has just under 34000 on the clock.
Thanks.:Smile:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Seems a little far fetched to me Seafarer. Are you sure of your figures? Christ! l can only come near to that with my Smart car!

Craig

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
was it on a recovery trailer for most of the journy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Nowt wrong with your calculation, however still don't believe it. Autoroute reckons 280miles Plymouth to Manchester, though you may have used a different route.
Are you sure the tank was really full the second time, you can't just rely on the pump stopping as, especially with diesel which tends to foam, they can cut out long before the tanks full.

If not we are all jealous of your economy :Angry:

OP
OP
S

seafarer

Free Member
Jan 27, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Toyota Hiace Campervan
Exp
Since 1974
Seems a little far fetched to me Seafarer. Are you sure of your figures? Christ! l can only come near to that with my Smart car!

Craig

The guy who delivered it said he filled her up at Plymouth and that I would have to pay for a full tank which was around £80 odd, plus meal and coffee breaks as well. He asked for £100 in total for the delivery delivery costs. fortunately for me, he was picking up a car he had bought to drive back to Plymouth so only had one way costs to pay.
When I got the van delivered, the fuel gauge was at half way mark, so I filled her up to full again and fuel put in was 29.32 litres, costing £41 using Shell V diesel which is more expensive than standard diesel.
I can't see the guy putting more fuel in and not charging me , so that is why I would like some confirmation of my calculations.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I have just done a calculation of the MPG of my campervan after its delivery from Plymouth to north Manchester. Using a full tank at Plymouth and distance on the tripometer to destination was 350 miles.
Filled up with 29.32 litres of diesel and when converted using distance covered, equates to 55 MPG which I think is very good indeed.

I think I was right about the trailer:thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
the key to the calculation is assuming the tripometer being at zero when it left plymouth.
as you wont know exactly what it did say if it had 50 miles on then it changes things quite a lot

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Buttons a fellow poster will not only substantiate your calculations but possibly offer advice on improving economy:ROFLMAO:

Seriously though it does not look right (by a long way)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
28 - 32 mpg according to this dealer , which sounds about right.

Link Removed

the ONLY way to check is by doing it yourself over several tank loads, the guy who delivered must have filled up during the trip ..

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
l would tend to think that a delivery driver would not be too bothered about mpg, so, l am a little doubtful of these calculations, sorry.
Try it for yourself, full tank, milage, fill tank again, and calculate twice to be sure. See what it comes to then.

Craig

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I can't see the guy putting more fuel in and not charging me , :thumb:

cant see him bothering to zero the trip meter either.

plymouth to manchester

Via Michelin route planner

quickest route 290 mls (281 on m/way)

shortest route 276mls (267 on m/way)

economical route 279mls (248 on m/way)

based on average 284mls..........43.6 mpg

TomTom route planner

fastest route 291mls

shortest route 271mls

based on average 281mls.........43.1 mpg

Google Earth

291mls..........44.7mpg

bit more credible, but not much :thumb:

OP
OP
S

seafarer

Free Member
Jan 27, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Toyota Hiace Campervan
Exp
Since 1974
the key to the calculation is assuming the tripometer being at zero when it left plymouth.
as you wont know exactly what it did say if it had 50 miles on then it changes things quite a lot

I have the photo with the clock showing 033374 mileage an trip showing 023.9 before departure.
At arrival my house mikleage was 033775 and trip 372.8, so everything seems to tally !

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

seafarer

Free Member
Jan 27, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Toyota Hiace Campervan
Exp
Since 1974
l would tend to think that a delivery driver would not be too bothered about mpg, so, l am a little doubtful of these calculations, sorry.
Try it for yourself, full tank, milage, fill tank again, and calculate twice to be sure. See what it comes to then.

Craig

Craig, you may have hit the nail on the head. Assuming he started off from Plymouth with half a tank and filled her up along the way seems a more logical answer.
the extra mileage is because he had to call at Bradford first to pick up a car to take back withhim (he brought a companian with him to do this). I checked the mileage with route planner and this mileage tallys. So perhaps he did start off with maybe half a tank and filled her up en route.:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
What size motor home does 40+MPG ?.
Makes mine look a bit silly. Cummins 5.9=15MPG...VW LT 2.4 straight 6=25MPG.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have the photo with the clock showing 033373 mileage an trip showing 023.9 before departure.
At arrival my house mikleage was 033775 and trip 372.8, so everything seems to tally !
Michelin, google and tomtom must all be wrong then :Eeek:

oops, sorry...missed your last post

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Craig, you may have hit the nail on the head. Assuming he started off from Plymouth with half a tank and filled her up along the way seems a more logical answer.
the extra mileage is because he had to call at Bradford first to pick up a car to take back withhim (he brought a companian with him to do this). I checked the mileage with route planner and this mileage tallys. So perhaps he did start off with maybe half a tank and filled her up en route.:thumb:

Hi and welcome Seafarer :thumb: your calculation looks even worse if the van had 2/3 's of a tank :ROFLMAO:
Brim your tank :thumb::bigsmile:o whatever mileage, brim tank again then tell us your mileage :thumb: If it is anything like a van I used to own I will bet the mileage will be around 25 mpg running around and 34 on a long run
terry

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Can anyone substantiate my calculations ?The Hiace is 17 years old and has just under 34000 on the clock. Thanks.:Smile:
[FONT=&quot]Welcome to the 50 + club, we are a fast growing section of the motor homing fraternity. :thumb:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But beware there are some non be-leavers among the 10 mpg motor homers group. :ROFLMAO:[/FONT]
They will attempt to convince you that anything without silver service is not a motor home. :ROFLMAO:
55 mpg is a great result they will be very jealous. :youbetcha:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
[FONT=&quot]Welcome to the 50 + club, we are a fast growing section of the motor homing fraternity. :thumb:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But beware there are some non be-leavers among the 10 mpg motor homers group. :ROFLMAO:[/FONT]
They will attempt to convince you that anything without silver service is not a motor home. :ROFLMAO:
55 mpg is a great result they will be very jealous. :youbetcha:

50+ club:ROFLMAO:

Its not only the 10mpg people who are disbelievers.

I reckon I do about 22-24 mpg in my Burstner which i think is fair enough with the way i drive and the weight I carry.

I am a disbeliever too.:winky:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
50+ club:ROFLMAO:

Its not only the 10mpg people who are disbelievers.

I reckon I do about 22-24 mpg in my Burstner which i think is fair enough with the way i drive and the weight I carry.

I am a disbeliever too.:winky:

Your not alone. VW up here would love to be able to quote such a figure (friend works for them) have to admit it made him smile, if pushed for mileage apparently they say it depends on how its driven but at best 28/ 30mpg.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
cant see him bothering to zero the trip meter either.

plymouth to manchester
Via Michelin route planner

quickest route 290 mls (281 on m/way)

shortest route 276mls (267 on m/way)

economical route 279mls (248 on m/way)

based on average 284mls..........43.6 mpg

TomTom route planner

fastest route 291mls

shortest route 271mls

based on average 281mls.........43.1 mpg

Google Earth

291mls..........44.7mpg
bit more credible, but not much

They are already arguing between themselves over official figures 28 mpg to 44.7 mpg. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

28 - 32 mpg according to this dealer , which sounds about right.

Link Removed

the ONLY way to check is by doing it yourself over several tank loads, the guy who delivered must have filled up during the trip ..

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
i thought it was a pate :Doh: of cow