Hymer - Central Locking Actuator (1 Viewer)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Could someone help me please?

The central locking actuator on our Hymer habitation door is playing up, inasmuch that it does everything except, unlock the system manually by key
All other aspect work fine.
For two days now, I have been waiting for an answer re spares from Hymer UK, (via Camper UK).............and am still waiting.

The actuator is a five wire model made by VDO, but when contacted VDO UK identified the part number as available from "dealer network only". :cry:
I have sourced another five wire actuator, similar in shape and size but the colour coding is nothing like that on the VDO unit, nor is it anything like the colour coding of the original Hymer wiring. :cry::cry::cry:

I have tried using a meter to identify which wire does what, but I am not having much luck, (not leccy techie enough. :ROFLMAO:).

Is there anyone out there who is familiar with these actuators, who can either advise, or who is going to Newark, and can sort it out at for me................pleeeeeeeeeeeease?
Cheers for now,

Jock

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I take it Jock that you have checked that mechanical side of things IE the key operation is lifting far enough for the contact in the actuator to be operated if not it will simply lock itself again, with door panel of and someone operating the key try assisting the rod in its operation to travel slightly further if that works straighten out the rod to make it a bit longer:thumb:
If none of that helps your original diagnosis is probably correct and the actuator contacts are up the creek:Doh:
Just to add, wear in all the plastic componants can add up, meaning too much free travel is taking up the acuators or key systems limited movment and preventing it doing its job
Geo

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I take it Jock that you have checked that mechanical side of things IE the key operation is lifting far enough for the contact in the actuator to be operated if not it will simply lock itself again, with door panel of and someone operating the key try assisting the rod in its operation to travel slightly further if that works straighten out the rod to make it a bit longer:thumb:
If none of that helps your original diagnosis is probably correct and the actuator contacts are up the creek:Doh:
Just to add, wear in all the plastic componants can add up, meaning too much free travel is taking up the acuators or key systems limited movment and preventing it doing its job
Geo
Hi Geo,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I was rather hoping that it would be a mechanical defect, but alas, everything in that area works fine. It is definitely the actuator, ie, when and in my hand and reconnected to the 12v supply, it will activate in the lock position, but not in the unlock position. I then tried the key in the door, whilst applying pressure on the mechanical linkages, and all is working as it should be.

Isn't it blooming typical? I post on here for help, and within 36 minutes, I get a really helpful reply from a professional, and yet after two days (so far), the manufacturer's major supplier and dealer (Hymer UK) can't even answer a question re spares. Grrrrrrrrrrr. Broonfools right enough, eh?

Cheers,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Geo,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I was rather hoping that it would be a mechanical defect, but alas, everything in that area works fine. It is definitely the actuator, ie, when and in my hand and reconnected to the 12v supply, it will activate in the lock position, but not in the unlock position. I then tried the key in the door, whilst applying pressure on the mechanical linkages, and all is working as it should be.

Isn't it blooming typical? I post on here for help, and within 36 minutes, I get a really helpful reply from a professional, and yet after two days (so far), the manufacturer's major supplier and dealer (Hymer UK) can't even answer a question re spares. Grrrrrrrrrrr. Broonfools right enough, eh?

Cheers,

Jock.
If as you seem to be saying, all is well when pressure is applied it point to wear in linkage
Or am i misunderstanding your confusion:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
If the unit wont unlock no mater what you do with a key then the unit must be suspect
Clear as mud, you cant beat hands on when trying to diagnose elecktro mickyanacal bits
Geo
where's all these elctro boffins when you need em:Doh:

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
whilst applying pressure on the mechanical linkages, and all is working as it should be.
Sorry Geo, I meant the gubbins inside the door, with the actuator totally removed, ie, key and linkage works, and door will lock/unlock.

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Well, I finally got an answer to my query with Hymer UK for a replacement lock actuator.

"There's only one left sir, and it is in Germany. We can get it for you within two weeks.....(wait for it)..........at a cost of £135.00 :Eeek:
Well the blooming thing can stay in Germany, and I can live with the problem until Newark, whereupon arrangements have been mad via Geo, to identify the wiring, and hopefully match it up to a replacement 5 x wire actuator of similar dimensions, which I sourced locally for £15.00. There were cheaper ones available, but the dimensions weren't suitable.

Cheers,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back