LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Can someone please check thats using iboost. 'm getting the log into BT page up but the option for log into btwifi with fon seems to have disappeared off the menu.

Anyone else noticed this or can shed some light on it?

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Never any good anyway, now well outdated with 4g
Your kidding! I used it in lots of places and for 3 years at my last house. Saved me buying broadband :) Was probably the best £30-35 ive ever spent. Top value for money.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I know a bargain when I see one. unfortunately I can now answer my own question. Fon is no longer partnered with BT. The service was turned off on June 18th .

All good things must come to an end. Oh well I cant grumble, certainly got my £££££s worth

images-15.jpeg
tenor-4.gif

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not bothered with Fon for a couple of years but at the time was excellent value for €30. I still enable my Fon router before going away just in case.

Your post got me checking the Fon site, they still have the BT logo plastered over their pages. But when you go to the drop down list of what country are you in the UK is not listed but most other European countries are so it looks like it's still OK everywhere else.

So it looks like if you were using it in conjunction with BT you will no longer have access to Fon networks but if you have your own separate Fon router like me, then the only change will be no UK service.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Yes thats correct, same as you, Still service in some other countries.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
My Bt router is still broadcasting a Bt fon network.21st June and I can still log on to it with my Bt Id.
Thanks but having a bt id is different to a fon id. Ive spoken to BT, the partnership is no more. The fon we were trying to get onto is also still broadcasting though you cant get on as the fon option has gone on the bt landing page.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Bt did allow access to Bt Wi-fi and fon if you allowed them to let your home router broadcast the Bt with fon Wi-fi network.
I have noticed recently that my devices will sometimes connect to WiFi X also a Bt Wi-fi network that iPhones and iPads will connect to if you have the Bt Wi-fi app.
Someone else in the area has Bt but I can’t always find it, I think they must switch off their router.
The new Bt routers have had problems with their coverage and get bad reviews, probably why they keep bombarding me with ads for the new router and Wi-fi disks at £5 for the privallage.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I used to try and connect to Fon 11 years ago when we were on BT broadband and mobile data was expensive, you agreed to share half your routers capacity with people nearby and in exchange you could log into other BT users wifi and bt networks in shopping centres etc, never worked very well back then. Surprised it's still going.

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
FON is the name of the local Thai Massage Establishment to me.
Good news its reopens on the 4th July.😄
Bad news that's when we go away to the southwest for 2 weeks 😪😪

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I used to try and connect to Fon 11 years ago when we were on BT broadband and mobile data was expensive, you agreed to share half your routers capacity with people nearby and in exchange you could log into other BT users wifi and bt networks in shopping centres etc, never worked very well back then. Surprised it's still going.
It was discussed to death on here years ago, I had it and only managed to get it to work for about two minutes outside a bar somewhere in France, that was it never again.
But there is plenty WiFi and 4 g over there now it isn't worth racking your brain over. (y) :Smile:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In the past I've had brilliant Fon connections in France, reasonable in Belgium never had much luck in the home of Fon - Spain.
To get the best out of it you do need to be a bit techie otherwise you don't stand a chance.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Never any good anyway, now well outdated with 4g
Maybe outdated maybe not, I cant get 4g where I live and my mobile signal is pants but the wifi and smart hub is great. Same thing is going to happen with 5g higher frequency shorter transmission distance faster speed. Chances are no 5g where I live so if your a BT broadband customer just sit outside my house and enjoy the wifi :)

It also depends who you get 4g from and how near the base station etc EE (BT) has the fastest download

Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 16.57.36.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back