Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
You can be pitched for parking by a vehicle now and not know its happened till you get the ticket.

A member on here has just received one.

Link Removed

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yes John that has been in use for a long time

You can be pitched for parking by a vehicle now and not know its happened till you get the ticket.

Link Removed

Not new John, been in force for a few years now. In London it is used all the time by Westminster council. They also use vans with cameras on the roof they drive up and down the street looking for those that have not paid the fine so they can clamp them...

I still represent a chap that works out of one of the big hotels with an S type Merc and have to fight many of his tickets.. wardens and cameras.

Also bus lane cameras work the same way..

Not easy ouit there these days. Eastbourn in Sussex has them and you can watch them being moved from a control room picking up numbers of cars in loading bays.

Bob:Eeek:

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
As usual the motorist is public enemy number one, ordinary people who pay fines and try to obey the law.

If you do things illegally and make it hard to identify the owner or just drive illegally will get away with most things, if they do get caught they will generally get of with a warning or fine they don't pay whereas Joe Public pays up.

Stinks.

Thanks for the update Bob:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
One observation I often make while we are driving around in unfamiliar area's as we all do with motorhomes, we come across speed camera's static and mobile, is if they can put the camera's there why can't they clearly display the speed limit in that area, it would make driving more relaxed in that you would not be wondering what speed limit you are in. I am aware that if lampposts etc are a certain distance apart the limit is such and such but a clear sign is much more helpful. The signs they now have quite often is with the actual speed on it and lights up if you are exceeding it I think these are much safer and work just as well as the camera's. Now that revenue is being lost from the speed camera's hopefully these could be adopted in more locations.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have always had the policy of not shopping in areas where they charge to park, I know that is difficult to do in the city's but in rural areas it can be done.

If more did this kind of thing, then let the shop keepers know why it was being done, there could be a change in attitude to the motorist.

Doug...

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Sadly town centre are dying rapidly.

For the generation that don't drive this is a disaster and of course to the smaller shopkeeper's who cant afford to set up on a retail park.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
As usual the motorist is public enemy number one, ordinary people who pay fines and try to obey the law.

If you do things illegally and make it hard to identify the owner or just drive illegally will get away with most things, if they do get caught they will generally get of with a warning or fine they don't pay whereas Joe Public pays up.

Stinks.

Thanks for the update Bob:thumb:

maybe they should make the criminals wear a identity number on their clothes like we have to on our vehicles

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
parking

Link Removed
My Brother got a ticket about 18 months ago from a mobile,he told them straight he was dropping of tools at a shop they were converting and not parked .The council wrote back and said he was parked ,with nobody in the Van ,he then wrote back and sarcastically told them he was carrying the tools to the job,and also it was after 6pm no restrictions, They replied and told him to pay up or court action ,he said he had witnesses & see you in court ,case dropped. Alan

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am aware that if lampposts etc are a certain distance apart the limit is such and such

Problem is you don't know what the limit is. No signs and it is 30**. But the stupid little repeater signs for greater than 30 are few and far between leading to many people, who are not paying attention, hitting the brakes in a 40/50 to slow down to 30 for a camera. Yes, I have done it. Why they can't have all or most lampposts with a colour band for when the limit is above 30 I do not know.

You can't condemn people for missing speed limit signs some of the time, it's so easy for a wagon or bus to cover the sign.

The good news is that I have seen many cameras with a speed limit plus camera sign just before them.

**Oh, I've forgotten the current fascination for 20 mph zones. Has anyone ever tried driving at 20 ? By the time you've got there you've grown too old to do when you went there fore and forgotten why anyway.

20 mph is not about saving just one child it's about dumbing down as usual. Educate and control child not to run in road and child does not die.

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Let face it this style of parking ticket is going to increase revenue from motorist who are already being fleeced to death and they know will pay without court proceeding.

Rip off.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The do not enter yellow zones at traffic lights and junctions also have cameras, as soon as you stop you are nicked, sounds easy to avoid but in heavy traffic in London some are real cash cows. Impossible to see or avoid if you are a stranger to the city. :Angry:
Driving and parking in London is an absolute nightmare. Traffic light cams, speed cams, bus lanes, speed limits, one way, lane changes, taxis, road works, sign posts, pedestrians, crossings one way two ways red routs mobile speed cams and finding your way..
Why do we do it! :Doh:I drive regularly in Chicago this is an absolute pleasure compared to this country, you have time to concentrate on your driving.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I got one of these John.

I was attending my mate's sister's wedding and they asked me to move the Wagon 'cos they didn't want it appearing in the wedding photos! :Eeek: :Eeek:

I moved it across the road with one wheel on the pavement and it cost me £60...

JJ

PS. the couple are still together and still very happy...

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I got one of these John.

I was attending my mate's sister's wedding and they asked me to move the Wagon 'cos they didn't want it appearing in the wedding photos! :Eeek: :Eeek:

I moved it across the road with one wheel on the pavement and it cost me £60...

JJ

PS. the couple are still together and still very happy...

TBO your wagon is now so famous they were fools to ask you to move it.

Your wagon and Frey Bentos has become a symbol of being a funster :winky::thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Don't break the law and you won't get a fine .. simple..

Speed limits are MAXIUM speeds, not recommended speeds.. and I'm all for 20 mph zones near schools and residential areas.. it's not just kids who get killed by idiots who think that if the limit is 30 mph they have to drive at 30 mph believing they are within the law.. they may not be, you can be done for dangerous driving without breaking the MAX speed limit.

Highway code:
Speed limits
You MUST NOT exceed the maximum speed limits for the road and for your vehicle (see the table above). The presence of street lights generally means that there is a 30 mph (48 km/h) speed limit unless otherwise specified.
[Law RTRA sects 81, 86, 89 & sch 6]
The speed limit is the absolute maximum and does not mean it is safe to drive at that speed irrespective of conditions. Driving at speeds too fast for the road and traffic conditions is dangerous.
You should always reduce your speed when
the road layout or condition presents hazards, such as bends
sharing the road with pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders, particularly children, and motorcyclists
weather conditions make it safer to do so
driving at night as it is more difficult to see other road users

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Great in a perfect world but sadly we are not always perfect or deliberate criminals

Indeed we are not John , that's why we have laws .. and penalties when they are broken ..
Is it being less of a criminal to break the speed limit than to say shop lift ?

The first crime can cause an accident and maybe injury or death to an innocent person.. the second is stealing money from a shop proprietor, the cost is passed onto the shoppers.. but no one is in danger of their life.

The speeder gets a fine and points .. the shop lifter can go to jail ..so which is the lessor crime ?

Last edited:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
I've got a perennial moan - no they can't touch you for it - which this thread brings to life.

If I'm working for myself, and I make an up-cock, I lose money.

If I'm working for a private employer, and I make an up-cock, he loses money, and if I do it on a big scale, I lose my job.

If I work for a council, and I make an up-cock, nothing happens - except that the council-tax payers have to pay for my mistake.

When will there be some system for apportioning responsibility?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Tunbridge Wells capital of

Royal Tunbridge Wells is the capital of road works, cable laying, traffic wRdens and grid locks.

We have higher car park charges, higher residents parking permits, more yellow lines, more traffic wardens (in vans).... The biggest foul up ..grid locks .. Who can speed in Tunbridge Wells? Oh yes we have speed cameras, or should I say cash machines... Plus loads of CCTV... Is it safe? No.

Tunbridge Wells is the pits and I live here.. Shop elsewhere...

Bob:Angry: p.s at long last the the ruling conservative council has voted out the leader.. After many years.. Thank goodness and even better they have deselected him from the conservative party so he cannot stand as a conservative councilor for his ward.. About time.. To any grand ideas with our money.... At last no deals with a developer with our town hall.. The new leader has torn up all the papers and is now starting again with consultation with us the rate payers... Perhaps he will deal with the parking and gridlocks... I live in hope:Blush:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Royal Tunbridge Wells is the capital of road works, cable laying, traffic wRdens and grid locks.

Like most of our towns they were built during the medieval times, or even during the Roman occupation, long before the infernal combustion engine .. and are simply not fit for purpose..

In the sixties we saw the need for 'new towns' and if you visit any of them you will find proper road layouts, planned parking and pedestrian precincts . and they work well.

I lived in Baslidon for nigh on 20 years .. as a town it works well, rarely a traffic jam and tons of affordable town centre parking ... but as a place to visit or live.. is is soulless, all concrete and tarmac.. the town elders have tried to introduce green areas and planted trees in the precincts but it's still just a functioning town.. not a place to feel attached to or be proud of ..

So, there you have it, you either ban traffic from the towns and enjoy the heritage or suffer the congestion .. can't have it both ways.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we have a ribbon development

Tunbridge Wells town has in effect a ribbon development just to the edge near the main A21.. it is called longfield Road.. when we first moved here the road was a dead end.. just a few factories and a gipsey site.

Now we have an retail park, and industrial estate. boy it is massive and long. The main road was never designed to take the traffic. we have every thing on the retail park from John Lewis to Marks and Sparks, the largest B&Q ever, ToysRus, Argos, Pets at home.. you name it we have it.. all added bit by bit.. a roundabout here, a traffic light there.. a massive BMW garage, then the Vauxhall, the Audi, the Fiat, the VW .. plus a lot more, then we have Wicks DIY, a couple of bed stores, acouple of tile shops and then we have a two tire companies and dozens of other stores.. runs in to hundreds no joking.. so the Longfield road jams up, every Saturday and Sunday grid locked to the A21 and then on to that. Just as bad from 3 p.m.. try getting through the area.

The local council just let them build.. no though to the way it would work.. but then it is business rates and jobs.

The main town is still there, but a lot of empty shops.. how many McDonalds do we need? we have 3... how many Argos stores? we have 2... we have a white elephant called Victoria Place, a mini shopping centre on three floors. we have loads of car parks .. multi story .. 3 of those or is it 4? plus many others.. all costing a fortune to park in.

I know Basildon, I know what Jim is talking about.. we have the history at the bottom of the town - the Pantiles, but this town just spreads and spreads now.. not a good place to live unless you love shopping. We have to decide which of the main Tesco stores we go to ..we have 2 plus an Express as well.. We have Sainsbury's flag ship store .. many years ago it took £1m over a weekend.. more now. We have Iceland, the list goes on and on... not what I moved into 25 years ago. they call it progress?

Boy o boy.

Bob:whatthe:

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Tunbridge Wells town has in effect a ribbon development just to the edge near the main A21.. it is called longfield Road.. when we first moved here the road was a dead end.. just a few factories and a gipsey site.

Now we have an retail park, and industrial estate. boy it is massive and long. The main road was never designed to take the traffic. we have every thing on the retail park from John Lewis to Marks and Sparks, the largest B&Q ever, ToysRus, Argos, Pets at home.. you name it we have it.. all added bit by bit.. a roundabout here, a traffic light there.. a massive BMW garage, then the Vauxhall, the Audi, the Fiat, the VW .. plus a lot more, then we have Wicks DIY, a couple of bed stores, acouple of tile shops and then we have a two tire companies and dozens of other stores.. runs in to hundreds no joking.. so the Longfield road jams up, every Saturday and Sunday grid locked to the A21 and then on to that. Just as bad from 3 p.m.. try getting through the area.

The local council just let them build.. no though to the way it would work.. but then it is business rates and jobs.

The main town is still there, but a lot of empty shops.. how many McDonalds do we need? we have 3... how many Argos stores? we have 2... we have a white elephant called Victoria Place, a mini shopping centre on three floors. we have loads of car parks .. multi story .. 3 of those or is it 4? plus many others.. all costing a fortune to park in.

I know Basildon, I know what Jim is talking about.. we have the history at the bottom of the town - the Pantiles, but this town just spreads and spreads now.. not a good place to live unless you love shopping. We have to decide which of the main Tesco stores we go to ..we have 2 plus an Express as well.. We have Sainsbury's flag ship store .. many years ago it took £1m over a weekend.. more now. We have Iceland, the list goes on and on... not what I moved into 25 years ago. they call it progress?

Boy o boy.

Bob:whatthe:
Bishop-Auckland a really small town,population around 25000 This last 6 months alone ,New Sainsbury super store,Tesco super store ,already have an Asda super store ,and a Morrison's,Aldy and a liddle most now all 24hr , with massive free car parks on edge of town,already town shops in small town center complaining at severe loss of trade,probably something to with no free parking in most of town now ,and the council raising parking fees & employing its own wardens to enforce and collect parking fees. Tells a story doesn't it ! councils haven't a clue and they wonder why we complain.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've got a perennial moan - no they can't touch you for it - which this thread brings to life.

If I'm working for myself, and I make an up-cock, I lose money.

If I'm working for a private employer, and I make an up-cock, he loses money, and if I do it on a big scale, I lose my job.

If I work for a council, and I make an up-cock, nothing happens - except that the council-tax payers have to pay for my mistake.

When will there be some system for apportioning responsibility?

Of course, the private employer will never think to factor contingency for such up-cocks into his prices in the first place will he? :Smile:

And of course private employers (Northern Rock for instance) will never dream of coming crying to the taxpayer for help after an up-cock will he? :Smile:

It doesn't matter what the sector is, if something goes wrong we end up paying whether taxpayer or customer.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
The best thing as far as motorists are concerned about London is the road out

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
I have always had the policy of not shopping in areas where they charge to park, I know that is difficult to do in the city's but in rural areas it can be done.

If more did this kind of thing, then let the shop keepers know why it was being done, there could be a change in attitude to the motorist.

Doug...

Same can be said of where we buy our fuel. but last time I mentioned it i was scoffed at.

Don

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
The parking officers are very poorly trained,they are ubnble to comprehend the blue badge requirements. They are being told just to issue tickets and leave it up to the motorist to appeal! We have had the spy car here for a couple of years. Recently it issued a raft of tickets to motorists held up in a traffic queue Dom Joly couldn't have done it better. Legitamate blue badge holders are being targeted because the camera generally photos the rear of the vehicle and not the front where the badge is displayed.:Angry:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Now we have an retail park, and industrial estate. boy it is massive and long. The main road was never designed to take the traffic. we have every thing on the retail park from John Lewis to Marks and Sparks, the largest B&Q ever, ToysRus, Argos, Pets at home.. you name it we have it.. all added bit by bit.. a roundabout here, a traffic light there.. a massive BMW garage, then the Vauxhall, the Audi, the Fiat, the VW .. plus a lot more, then we have Wicks DIY, a couple of bed stores, a couple of tile shops and then we have a two tire companies and dozens of other stores.. runs in to hundreds no joking.

Ever been to France?

I rest my case m'lud

::bigsmile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
At least it can be warmer

Ever been to France?

I rest my case m'lud

::bigsmile:

Yes, but it can be warmer in France, drizzle today, high winds, cold, overcast.. And I hate Tunbridge Wells....

Roll on early April off to France fore some sun.

Bob:thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
The A390 running thro St Austell is a nightmare in summer, with, several roundabouts and 3 out of sync traffic lights.
Parking charges in Cornwall have gone up.
Truro is gridlocked during going to work and going home times, as for Falmouth and Newquay! forget it !
Penzance has a height Barrier on the main carpark.
Padstow? you need to have the patience of a saint to even think of entering there in a car, and to be certified insane to enter in a M/H

In Devon, Honiton is the most M/H unfriendly place I've had the misfortune to visit. The carpark behind the shops, I doubt you can get a car to fit between the lines let alone a M/H. SO! you have to park near the Magistrates Court along with the Coaches, and trust that the Crims lounging outside smoking leave your pride and joy alone

Any wonder I take off at the drop of a hat!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back