Free Member
Jun 5, 2020
Llyn Peninsula, N Wales
Funster No
MH
A/S Amethyst
Exp
newish
Having just had an eyewatering quote from Saga [recommended by some!] of £465 on a 97 Ford A/S Talisman, I'm wondering if there are better options out there. I'm aware that it's age may be against it but the above does'nt include any breakdown cover at all. HELP!

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Having just had an eyewatering quote from Saga [recommended by some!] of £465 on a 97 Ford A/S Talisman, I'm wondering if there are better options out there. I'm aware that it's age may be against it but the above does'nt include any breakdown cover at all. HELP!

We renewed our '98 Hymer recently with SAGA for £250. We reduced our mileage to 4000 pa.
John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Try the CMC if you are a member and if not probably worth joining just for the insurance. Their application system is very simple and the quote I thought competitive at £295 to renew this month. Age, medical conditions etc will all play a part plus where you live of course so direct comparisons with what others are paying are not easy to make.

I found SAGA increasingly expensive when I was with them. It pays to shop around. No discounts for loyalty.

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
Comfort for insurance with breakdown

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Try Lifesure... they used to be MHIA(Motor home insurance agency) but they still specialize in motorhomes.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
My first year with a MH, but Comfort price and knowledge worked for me

Nov 28, 2018
Edzell Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
We have a 98 Autotrail Cheyenne, and insured via CMC for about half your quote, and breakdown for about £90 through Greenflag, but agree with DBK depends on a lot of factors.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Give LV= a try I’ve just moved to them best quote out of the main MH insures.😊👍

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
AIB for me, about £300 including full euro breakdown cover.
Never had a claim so no idea how they perform when you need them most

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Try the CMC if you are a member and if not probably worth joining just for the insurance. Their application system is very simple and the quote I thought competitive at £295 to renew this month. Age, medical conditions etc will all play a part plus where you live of course so direct comparisons with what others are paying are not easy to make.

I found SAGA increasingly expensive when I was with them. It pays to shop around. No discounts for loyalty.

Who knows how insurers work. It's a black art. I consistently find Saga one of the cheapest decent policies for my car, with the proviso that I've always had to use them alternate years as they like to bump the premium on renewal, although I'm currently on my second continuous year with them as they only raised it £3 this year.

For the MH however, they refuse to quote at all :confused:

Reactions: DBK

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I wish I was only paying £460. Living in Liverpool am lucky to insure anything much under a grand. My fifth wheel outfit is £900, add to this £600 for an old pickup truck that does less than 3000 miles per year and a Smartcar at £500 per year. Postcode lottery springs to mind with insurance. I dare not think how much I pay for my motorbikes and flathead V8 powered hotrod.

John Liput

Free Member
Apr 5, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
Since 2019
Saga is expensive on everything, use the compare sites, google motorhome insurance, you will find you will save a lot of money, I never renew a policy I always search each renewal on motorhome, motorcycle and cars save a fortune.

ktommo

Free Member
Aug 18, 2013
clacton on sea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Adrian flux £220 fully comp 2005 fiat,5000 miles per annum including euro breakdown

BryanS

Free Member
Jun 17, 2020
near Bedford
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 1998
Hi. I tried Saga and the quote was astronomical. Also Comfort which was very reasonable but as they use Aviva there are severe restrictions if you do not store your motorhome at your home address. They base the quote on your storage site address and only allow you to bring your van home for 48 hours or so at a time without informing them. This is not obvious in their quote but is in the policy wording!! No good for us as we bring it home in order to boost the batteries, load and clean it and get it ready for the off. I found Highway - an LV company - to be very reasonable and have been insured with them for several years. Well worth a look.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Whenever I get a quote I always ask them to do better. Often saying X said they could do it for this much, can't you beat it? I do the same thing with everyone. Gas, water, electric, insurance, TV subscriptions, internet. Everything. You'll often find the first price they say is far from their best.

My car insurance went up last year by £200. I rang them up and got it for £50 less than the previous year, saving myself £250! However I'll be switching this time whatever the quote is, after 4 years, because I was very disappointed with how they treated my Mum when someone in a lorry reversed into her camper and wrote it off.

Sometimes you get what you pay for. Trouble with insurance companies is you never know until you really need them to come good for you.

Tony 32

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2019
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 400
Exp
Try justkamper that is who i insured my 1990 VW with i did it over the phone ( 01256 444546 ) they were very helpfull or you can go online at justkamper.com

Mar 22, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V line 635se
Exp
Caravanner since 1993
I always use Comfort Insurance - being a Yorkshireman I'm not known to throw mony abaut
Hi. I tried Saga and the quote was astronomical. Also Comfort which was very reasonable but as they use Aviva there are severe restrictions if you do not store your motorhome at your home address. They base the quote on your storage site address and only allow you to bring your van home for 48 hours or so at a time without informing them. This is not obvious in their quote but is in the policy wording!! No good for us as we bring it home in order to boost the batteries, load and clean it and get it ready for the off. I found Highway - an LV company - to be very reasonable and have been insured with them for several years. Well worth a look.
Comfort insurance quoted us £1083 for a quote. They then rang the following day to see if my online quote was OK, I said I currently pay £460 ( true) and they said OK then bye. So for some reason Comfort don't like our van location or me and the wife. (and we've had a motorhome since 2015 and caravans for 15 yrs before that with no issue)

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
I would certainly give LV a call followed by Comfort and Safeguard. I was with NFU last year but this year went with LV because of the price difference for very similar cover. As others have said, I never renew without telephoning around for comparisons.
Once you have insurance you can then use the C&MC promise of beating your renewal by £25 provided it does not include breakdown cover.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I found Highway - an LV company - to be very reasonable and have been insured with them for several years. Well worth a look.
They are the company Safeguard use and my quote from them was over £900 I have moved to LV= at £458 inc Uk & Euro breakdown.👍

Adam+Jude

Free Member
Feb 20, 2019
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 580
Exp
July 2018
I was with Motorhome Protect. But with a massive increase this year, +25% or more, (same for breakdown cover, up from £65-£95), i have just taken up new cover with AIB.
Worthy a try...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back