LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks for those Brian... I am wondering, do you have to have any special deal with your phone company?
JJ

No. Standard TalkTalk broadband+calls and cheapest mobile contract with O2 plus a PAYG non expiring Vodaphone dongle that works fine except in places where I need it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
What happens if you have no mobile phone and you just drive away?

Doug...

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
I am always suspicious of private parking companies managing other car parks.

The permission for parking says cars. Payment is only for cars - so do you pay?

However, the penalties only mention cars penalties, commercial vehicles penalties and HGV's.

This as far as motorhomes is concerned is ambiguous. However, that ambiguity could mean a zealous private warden issuing a private PCN or clamping you, either for not paying, or for paying but you are not a car.

The hassle of sorting that could be horrendous, despite the fact you will be in the right.

Interesting point is who owns the land, probably the port authority - and if the ferry company give your details (or CCTV image print) to them would they be in breach of the data protection act? Otherwise as a private PCN I would just ignore it.

I think we need to be careful (unless the signs have been amended since, but I doubt it).

Were you directed there by signage/people Brian??

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
"Convenience charge"? Whose convenience?

Steve

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
It doesnt actually give a parking charge. Or am I missing something ?
Jim
:Smile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
There was quite a discussion going on about it a few months back when they were stopping clamping. I know 'the experts' state that they are non-enforceable, but this cannot be relied upon.

These private companies can be quite dodgy - there was a case which made the papers a while back, where this company mentioned sent a fine for a company vehicle for being parked in mcdonalds carpark all day. They supplied photos of it arriving at 8am, and leaving at 5.40pm.

It was only the fact that the company had trackers fitted, that they proved the vehicle to have visited at 8am for breakfast and later revisited for dinner at 5.40 - two seperate visits lasting no more than 10 mins.

I tis debatable if the clamp company were deliberately editing the evidence to make a fine, or if the operators just couldn't beleive someone would eat in that takeaway twice in one day!:ROFLMAO:

Cannot trust them!

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
It all depends on the notice ..signs

It depend on where the signs are and what they say.. You may actually be entering into a contract if you park. The only action they can take is send you a bill and if you do not pay they may decide to issue a county court summons.. Will they win? All depends on the wording of the sign (contract) ...

Clamping another story...

But you will now see motorway service areas charging £20 a night..some times with a meal deal.

I pulled in to a McDonalds last Monday early evening .. To take a pee.. the area I pulled in to was for trucks..remember I am a RV.. They wanted an over night fee there...

Bob:Eeek:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The permission for parking says cars. Payment is only for cars - so do you pay?

Were you directed there by signage/people Brian??

So it does, I didn't take that much notice because there's always a MH or two parked up. I'm down again next week I'll double check.

I was directed there by me to see what is on offer for our next Euro trip.

Watch this space.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
So it does, I didn't take that much notice because there's always a MH or two parked up. I'm down again next week I'll double check.

I was directed there by me to see what is on offer for our next Euro trip.

Watch this space.

Brian, did you get chance to go again? We are plannning a euro trip and it could be an option on the way down, along with Bob's suggestion re Canterbury park and ride (tempted by the adjacent pub meals - yes I know beware alcohol as public place).

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
We snuggle ourselves down in a nice cosy layby on the A2, just before (north) of the roundabout near the Premier Inn. Mind you, we're usually late arriving and early leaving so maybe nobody notices us!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back