Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi
I have had another x 2 115 leisure batteries fitted along with x 2 80w solar panels,making 3 leisure batteries in total,4 with vehicle battery.

My question is,I currently have a 350w inverter but its not powerful enough to run our small Microwave 750 ,if I bought a 1000 w inverter would the current 12v socket wiring be strong enough to plug it straight into ,or would I need to run wires direct to the batteries which are currently wired in parallel .

Thanks in advance Alan

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
On our last van we had a 1000w inverter, it was not up to the start up current when you first switched the mirco oven on.

Nick

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Hi
I have had another x 2 115 leisure batteries fitted along with x 2 80w solar panels,making 3 leisure batteries in total,4 with vehicle battery.

My question is,I currently have a 350w inverter but its not powerful enough to run our small Microwave 750 ,if I bought a 1000 w inverter would the current 12v socket wiring be strong enough to plug it straight into ,or would I need to run wires direct to the batteries which are currently wired in parallel .

Thanks in advance Alan

Hi Alan - that's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string because we don't know the spec of your present 12v wiring - the thickness of the cable nor the distance from the battery, both of which are crucial to your question.

However, having said that, my experience of OE 12v socket wiring is that they are generally inadequate and it's likely that it will need upgrading. But that's only a guess ....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
1000 watts/12 volts = 83.3 amps So starter cable might work. I would say forget it it's not practical.:Eeek:

And it gets worse, that would flatten one battery in 5/10 mins. That 110Ah rating is only for 10A sort of load.

And WORSE, 160W of solar power, probably flat on roof = 100W, that's absolute steaming hot sun 8A back in.

So on a single battery flatten it in 10 mins then 12 BRIGHT hours to charge.

The numbers do not look good at all.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi

Thanks in advance Alan

We have a 1200 watt inverter and 300 watt battery with 650 watt microwave but even that struggles to cope on full power, the answer I found was to link the engine battery to the domestic and run the engine when the micro is on.

The battery link is done with starter cables and a heavy duty connector, fortunately the power leads from the engine were already built into the wiring and the connector was under the driver seat.

This comes with a warning, on the fiat base and suspect other makes there is a 70 amp fuse built into the battery positive connector and if I forget to disconnect when starting the engine it can blow the fuse. other than that there is no problems.

Doug...

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
What a load of doom and gloom artists:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Mount 1000 watt inverter as near to batteries as possible using heavy starter/battery type cable then you will be able to heat a sausage roll or two :thumb:forget your Sunday roast dinner
Geo

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
On our last van we had a 1000w inverter, it was not up to the start up current when you first switched the mirco oven on.

Nick

I always believed the actual consumption of a microwave oven was twice the stated ovens power (750 watts model =1500w actual usage). Would not a Halogen Oven be a better prospect?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Mount 1000 watt inverter as near to batteries as possible using heavy starter/battery type cable then you will be able to heat a sausage roll or two :thumb:forget your Sunday roast dinner
Geo
1000 W INVERTER will not fire up,so no sausage rolls :cry:

I always believed the actual consumption of a microwave oven was twice the stated ovens power (750 watts model =1500w actual usage). Would not a Halogen Oven be a better prospect?

That is about right :thumb:
terry

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we do it with genny's

Geo

We do not have these problems Geo do we? we have 4 kw genny built in and we run our 1,700 watt micro wave.. trust the Americans to have bigger ones. But I have a 1,500 watt Sterling pure sinwave invertor and only run things like the 230v tv or DVD.. mainly used as part of my battery charging equipment.

But I doubt that a 1000 watt being used on a micro wave would do the batteries much good.

I have massive thick cables the size of my thumb and the invertor is very close to the batteries.

Bob:Blush:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
does that not rather depend on how your rating your inverter
Im talking a genuine 1000w continuous not a 500 rated at 1000

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi

Thanks in advance Alan

Would it not be the safest and cheapest and maybe the best option for you to get a 2kw or 2.5 kw pure sine wave genny and run your 750w microwave from that........or will a 2kw..{I think the max output is about 1600 to 1800 watt on continuous}......not be big enough...as you can pick up pure sinewave gennies for around £350 :winky:

That will cheer up the anti genny brigade.....
Hey you lot the gennies seem to be getting more popular over here in France and getting cheaper in the French shops ...Whoooops have they seen the light or do they it is think it is better to join them than fight them ???????
or is because a lot of the Aires that was free are starting to charge....3 euros per 1 hour electric Mmmmm
Mel:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
does that not rather depend on how your rating your inverter
Im talking a genuine 1000w continuous not a 500 rated at 1000

Yep Geo you would need the 1000 w with a boost / peak of say 1800 w / 2000 w :thumb:
That would still kill the batts quick -
Dougs idea to run the engine whilst it is on sounds best :thumb: or genny or just use on hook up :thumb: Bin it :Eeek::ROFLMAO: we only use the micro at home for my milky coffee and cooking frozen peas :ROFLMAO:
terry

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Thanks a lot

Bloody hell I don't think ill bother :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Thanks for all the replies I think ill stick to gas of site and only use the little 750 microwave when I'm hooked up,that's my walls microwave sausages out the window:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.:thumb: I was told if I bought a 1000w inverter it would run a 750w microwave no probs by the guy in Maplins:Doh::Doh:but by all your replies it obviously wont,I'm glad I checked here before i bought it . oh well :Blush::Blush:!! ill leave it as is. Alan

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Alan,

Glad you have made your decision, but to return to your first post, you mentioned a 350W inverter, then asked if you could plug a 1,000W inverter into a standard 12V socket. Do we assume from this that you currently plug a 350W inverter into the standard 12V socket?

If so, I suggest you should desist. A 350W inverter supplying its full power output will draw roughly 30 amps (350/12). Unless you have some very special wiring to your sockets, this will fry the circuit. Most motorhome 12V sockets are rated at 10 amps. So, the most that the 12V socket will support is 120 watts, and even then, you will suffer from voltage drop owing to the thin cabling.

If I have misunderstood your post, forgive me, but if I'm right, the 350W inverter should be wired directly to the leisure batteries with some thick cable.

Philip

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Bloody hell I don't think ill bother :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Thanks for all the replies I think ill stick to gas of site and only use the little 750 microwave when I'm hooked up,that's my walls microwave sausages out the window:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.:thumb: I was told if I bought a 1000w inverter it would run a 750w microwave no probs by the guy in Maplins:Doh::Doh:but by all your replies it obviously wont,I'm glad I checked here before i bought it . oh well :Blush::Blush:!! ill leave it as is. Alan

Hi Alan he could be right if it is a 1000 w with a 1800 w peak :thumb: Lot of cash for a few bangers :ROFLMAO:
terry

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Thanks

Alan,

Glad you have made your decision, but to return to your first post, you mentioned a 350W inverter, then asked if you could plug a 1,000W inverter into a standard 12V socket. Do we assume from this that you currently plug a 350W inverter into the standard 12V socket?

If so, I suggest you should desist. A 350W inverter supplying its full power output will draw roughly 30 amps (350/12). Unless you have some very special wiring to your sockets, this will fry the circuit. Most motorhome 12V sockets are rated at 10 amps. So, the most that the 12V socket will support is 120 watts, and even then, you will suffer from voltage drop owing to the thin cabling.

If I have misunderstood your post, forgive me, but if I'm right, the 350W inverter should be wired directly to the leisure batteries with some thick cable.

Philip
No your right ,I had it on my boat and it was wired into system but it was never used and is now just sitting in the garage as the only thing i could get to work on it was my tv. I wont bother with an invertor at all now like I said looks like to much hassle and the last thing I want is to fry my 12v system this is exactly why I asked ?? Thank you :thumb::thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
My Sterling 1500 watt pure sinwave

My Sterling 1500 watt pure sin wave is directly connected to the house batteries via dedicated heavy duty ..as short as possible length wise... Cable. This is as big as my thumb with very serious fuses.

Even to run my 12v macicator I have a dedicated power take off from my generator power in side and is cable rated at 40 amps... Same size as thereto lead to the genny chassis. I had the power taken off frthis knowing that very serious wire is used to and from the genny.

I had a automotive electrician do the wiring to ensure I had ample power v amp cable run so there is no risk to overload any of my systems.

As for the Sterling invertor,ihavefoudtis to bean excellent bit of gear fitted by a professional company..VanBitz..

Bob:thumb:

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Not sure now

My Sterling 1500 watt pure sin wave is directly connected to the house batteries via dedicated heavy duty ..as short as possible length wise... Cable. This is as big as my thumb with very serious fuses.

Even to run my 12v macicator I have a dedicated power take off from my generator power in side and is cable rated at 40 amps... Same size as thereto lead to the genny chassis. I had the power taken off frthis knowing that very serious wire is used to and from the genny.

I had a automotive electrician do the wiring to ensure I had ample power v amp cable run so there is no risk to overload any of my systems.

As for the Sterling invertor,ihavefoudtis to bean excellent bit of gear fitted by a professional company..VanBitz..

Jesus this sounds so complicated now :Doh::Doh:Am I talking about the same things as the ones I'm on about come with a standard 12V plug in connector and wires. Please take a look at similar ones in thumb nail attached . they are similar to what I currently have and what I was going to buy :Eeek::Eeek: Alan

Attachments

• 350w invertor.jpg
    350w invertor.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 1000 invertor.jpg
    1000 invertor.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 15

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Do they not have crocodile clips?

Jesus this sounds so complicated now :Doh::Doh:Am I talking about the same things as the ones I'm on about come with a standard 12V plug in connector and wires. Please take a look at similar ones in thumb nail attached . they are similar to what I currently have and what I was going to buy :Eeek::Eeek: Alan

They look like they have crocodile clips so you can attach it direct to a battery.

But I doubt you would use a cigarette lighter socket... Investors are ok if you want to use a small amount of 240v from a 12v battery. I must admit I tend to run my 4 kw genny to power the microwave ..which is a 110v .. But as I said this has a 1700 wat start up drain... So we have the Sterling on to replace the drain as we run the genny. But cannot run the microwave just on the battery/invertor... Just will nit work.

Do not run away away from the idea, it is good once you have worked out how it best works for you... A good online fuse is a must if you are going to hot wire the invertor to the battery or batteries... Otherwise use the crocodile clips.

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
They look like they have crocodile clips so you can attach it direct to a battery.

But I doubt you would use a cigarette lighter socket... Investors are ok if you want to use a small amount of 240v from a 12v battery. I must admit I tend to run my 4 kw genny to power the microwave ..which is a 110v .. But as I said this has a 1700 wat start up drain... So we have the Sterling on to replace the drain as we run the genny. But cannot run the microwave just on the battery/invertor... Just will nit work.

Do not run away away from the idea, it is good once you have worked out how it best works for you... A good online fuse is a must if you are going to hot wire the invertor to the battery or batteries... Otherwise use the crocodile clips.

Thanks Bob ,my current 350w has a standard 12v cigarette lighter push in connector & fairly thin wires:thumb: I think Ill leave it for now . Rather not burn out my 12V wiring just got it all finished .:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Advice is that just advice but.

I asked a similar question sometime last year.

I have a 1500w inverter that all and sundry told me would kill the batteries in 2 mins when Nikki dried her hair, I would dissapear in a puff of smoke and I should go and hang my head in shame for daring to suggest such a thing.

I have exactly the set up you talk about, I have wired it in to offer power when wild camping, it charges the laptops and other kidiies gizmos, Nikki has a shower and drys her hair, and the sloar panels help bring things back. Its not like your living in it, just wanting a bit of extra power to cook those sausages,

It works, and as for blowing up your wiring system? where did that come from? get some decent cable, place it as close to the batteries as is possible, as bob says, place a fuse in it just in case.

I know shed loads of people that run invertors of this size and bigger with little problem

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007

Yes, they supply a 12V socket plug with the 350W version, but I suspect there will be a warning in the instructions that this can only be used with small loads. As I said earlier, to run a 350W device will draw a current of 350/12 = 30 amps (approx.). No inverter manufacturer can escape the implications of Ohm's law.

Don't be put off - an inverter can be a very useful accessory, but anything larger than a very small one needs to be connected directly to the batteries. I have a 150W version that was supplied with a plug. I found that it did not always work due to voltage drop. That happens when thin cables are used to connect it to the battery, even though the load (in watts) may not be large. So I refitted mine with direct cabling of a heavy gauge. Works perfectly now. If you want to see how I did it, there is a paper in the downloads section called "Instal a small Inverter". <Link Removed>

In my view it is worth paying more for a good quality inverter. I wanted a pure sine wave version and bought a Sterling. I think it is false economy to buy a cheap one, but I know others have a different opinion.

Philip

david and ann

Free Member
Jan 3, 2009
Sax Alicante
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
7 years
Hav e just bought a jml halogen oven 1300 watts for use at home and in the bus for our trips out. Anybody any experience of this oven in motorhome?
have benimar europa m/h so it has never had oven or microwav e ovens. Typical Spanish; eating outside normally on bbq
ps halogen is great for use in the house.

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Advice is that just advice but.

I asked a similar question sometime last year.

I have a 1500w inverter that all and sundry told me would kill the batteries in 2 mins when Nikki dried her hair, I would dissapear in a puff of smoke and I should go and hang my head in shame for daring to suggest such a thing.

I have exactly the set up you talk about, I have wired it in to offer power when wild camping, it charges the laptops and other kidiies gizmos, Nikki has a shower and drys her hair, and the sloar panels help bring things back. Its not like your living in it, just wanting a bit of extra power to cook those sausages,

It works, and as for blowing up your wiring system? where did that come from? get some decent cable, place it as close to the batteries as is possible, as bob says, place a fuse in it just in case.

I know shed loads of people that run invertors of this size and bigger with little problem
Thanks for reply Philip, I thought it would be just as you said ,But was worried about it burning out my 12v plug circuit,this is why I asked on here . So after a reading a couple of comments from people about it to be truthful its put me off the idea. However after reading your comments I might still consider buying a 1000/1500w inverter and connect it direct to my two new Batteries in the garage with a in-line fuse (size anybody?) and for now!! just run an extension cable when required occasionally into dinette area to try it out for a while ,if it does work ill get it wired in correctly with a dedicate socket as I love my sausages,nah truthfully if it makes life easier for ma & the wife and shes happy its worth the hassle as it makes for a more relaxed break . ::bigsmile:::bigsmile: . Alan:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Thanks for reply Philip, I thought it would be just as you said ,But was worried about it burning out my 12v plug circuit,this is why I asked on here . So after a reading a couple of comments from people about it to be truthful its put me off the idea. However after reading your comments I might still consider buying a 1000/1500w inverter and connect it direct to my two new Batteries in the garage with a in-line fuse (size anybody?) and for now!! just run an extension cable when required occasionally into dinette area to try it out for a while ,if it does work ill get it wired in correctly with a dedicate socket as I love my sausages,nah truthfully if it makes life easier for ma & the wife and shes happy its worth the hassle as it makes for a more relaxed break . ::bigsmile:::bigsmile: . Alan:thumb:

A wise choice and compromise. I think My fuse is 30 amp, (but would have to check)

if you do it the way you suggest, then you can see how you get along and if you actually bother using it. Then if you are and you see the bennefits you can get it wired in properly.
:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back