Non-expiring Vodafone dongle on eBay (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Saw this on another forum. Argos clearance Link Removed.

According to the description this is "The only pay as you surf mobile broadband with no 30-day expiry."

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Details on bottom of sellers page

Item Description
Read ratings and reviews for this product here

[15 TopUp gets you 1GB of data.
Doubles up as a memory stick using a MicroSD card.
The only pay as you surf mobile broadband with no 30-day expiry.
Compatible with Windows 2000, XP, Vista and Mac 10.4 and 10.5.
3.6 Mbps download speed.
Plug in and go.
See vodafone.co.uk for details.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
That would be useful, I'm on a dongle now as I'm in the middle of a switch from TalkTalk to Sky and had to renew my dongle time yesterday.

But............ I can't see any mention of no expiry on it.

Edit:

Too quick for me - I'll go and look.

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
That would be useful, I'm on a dongle now as I'm in the middle of a switch from TalkTalk to Sky and had to renew my dongle time yesterday.

But............ I can't see any mention of no expiry on it.

Edit:

Too quick for me - I'll go and look.
Just plug your phone into your lap top connect through that,if you pay for internet with your provider its totally free ,used mine for years. Alan

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
Pay as you Go

Looks like a good deal. I read from some reviews you have to use it at least once within 120 days or you loose the min £15.00 credit required.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just plug your phone into your lap top connect through that,if you pay for internet with your provider its totally free ,used mine for years. Alan

True, I started using a mobile phone for Internet connection over 10 years ago. However, connection speed does depend on the phone capabilities. Even today many phones don't have the 3G+ (or even 3G) capability which dongles have.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham

where did you see the details about this as i just sent a message to the seller and got a reply back saying no details on this item

Jim got in before me Chris :Smile: I have to admit I am just going by the details in the listing, I haven't contacted Argos. However, as Argos is such a big company then if there were a problem I don't doubt they would give a refund.

I just had a look at the main Argos site and the Vodafone dongle currently listed in their catalogue Link Removed is described as "30 day top up expiry" so it does appear that their eBay Clearance store is getting rid of old stock.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)

Thank you Alan, time I moved on a bit, I'm still on an a ten year old Nokia and only use it for emergencies and texts so I'll have to get with it.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have had one of these for well over a year now

I have a vodaphone dongle and have so well over a year now. You have to use it once in every six months.. (was what I was told when I bought it).. so that may be now reduced to 120 days.. but I just turn on my Dell Note Pad on the RV and log on every now and then.. still got £11 left all this time on... just tend to use it to check emails.. but then I do have an Apple Iphone 4 and can do that from the phone as well.

I purchased my Dell note pad in the USA on a trip and used it there so it came home with us and we then purchased the dongle... works fine.

Bob:thumb:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If its the same one that I have, as said, you have to top up £15 at a time, and as long as you use it once in 6 months, you will not loose your credit.

I can surf for an hour, and use up pennies. You can alse easliy check how much credit you have left.

As a matter of interest, I have a nokia xpress, how do I connect to my notebook to use the phones internet?

S

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)
As a matter of interest, I have a nokia xpress, how do I connect to my notebook to use the phones internet?
First of all the phone must have a built-in modem.

Then there are three ways I know of to connect a phone to a computer: Data cable, Bluetooth and Infra red (not seen so often these days). The method(s) which can actually be used will depend on the capabilities of the phone and the computer.

Looking at the spec for your phone Here and Link Removed I see that it has a modem, has Bluetooth and should have come with a data cable (so you have two connection options).

However, as the phone only supports 2G you won't be able to achieve the 3G/3G+ speeds which the dongle supports.

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
cable or Data

First of all the phone must have a built-in modem.

Then there are three ways I know of to connect a phone to a computer: Data cable, Bluetooth and Infra red (not seen so often these days). The method(s) which can actually be used will depend on the capabilities of the phone and the computer.

Looking at the spec for your phone Here and Link Removed I see that it has a modem, has Bluetooth and should have come with a data cable (so you have two connection options).

However, as the phone only supports 2G you won't be able to achieve the 3G/3G+ speeds which the dongle supports.
I have an old Motorola V8 about 4 years old with 3G( 3rd Generation0most newish phones all connect to a computer and if you pay for the internet or like myself now have an Andriod phone connection is totally free . Paying for a dongle is a thing from the past ,in fact its a waste of money and has been for years. If you plug your dongle in the side of your lap top just replace it with a data cable ,or link via blue tooth either way if your phone has a signal you have access to the internet ,compare the cost of your dongle to upgrading your phone? alan .

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
R U not getting just 1Gb that expires when used?

Each £15 top-up on the older style dongle buys 1GB which expires when used (which could be over several months). Each £15 top-up on the newer style dongle buys 3GB which expires after 30 days whether used or not.

So, with the older dongle you buy less capacity but (so log as you sign on at least once every 6 months) you don't lose any of that capacity but with the newer dongle you lose whatever capacity you haven't used at the end of the 30 days.

For people who only use a dongle when away in the van or have a low usage anyway then the amount used in a month is probably going to be way below 3GB (and probably way below 1GB).

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have an old Motorola V8 about 4 years old with 3G( 3rd Generation0most newish phones all connect to a computer and if you pay for the internet or like myself now have an Andriod phone connection is totally free . Paying for a dongle is a thing from the past ,in fact its a waste of money and has been for years. If you plug your dongle in the side of your lap top just replace it with a data cable ,or link via blue tooth either way if your phone has a signal you have access to the internet ,compare the cost of your dongle to upgrading your phone? alan .

Depends what deal you have Alan. I got my dongle from T-Mobile on contract in February 2008. It was expensive considering my usage but the best available at that time and cheaper than the mobile I had then to get the 3G+ speed I needed.

Last year when the contract finished I had the dongle unlocked and now have PAYG 3 and non-expiring Vodafone SIMS which mean I pay very small amounts which are worth it for the convenience.

Basically a matter of each to their own preference :Smile:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
It does not seem good value to me, for £15.00 I get 5Gig of data from Three.co but there is a 30 days expiry. but even that is not a problem for me as I use up all the data allowance.

Doug...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It does not seem good value to me, for £15.00 I get 5Gig of data from Three.co but there is a 30 days expiry. but even that is not a problem for me as I use up all the data allowance.

Doug...

as you say, as a heavy user it wouldn't be a good deal.. but for many like me who only use infrequently and have on occasions 'lost' more data than I've used .. so for me it would be ideal

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
My son gave me a Vodafone non-expiring dongle for Christmas just over two years ago. I think it's great! I only use it when out and about and travelling in the motorhome. The 1gb lasts absolutely ages - for me anyway. I've only topped it up once with another £15 of credit and I did that well before the original credit had been used up. In fact, I think I've still got about a pound or two of the original credit left.

Drawback is it only works in the UK, and you are dependent on the service available. Given we tend to go off the beaten track quite a lot in the MH, the speed can be pretty slow. But where there's a decent 3G signal it works well. Out in the sticks you just need a bit of patience.

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Sadly nothings for free! ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Andrew
Hi Andrew your right ,what I should have said is you are already paying for INTERNET conection on your phone ,or now have the new generation android phones you can connect through your phone for no extra charge!!:thumb::thumb: Also most dongles are around £15 ish per month you can get a hell of a lot of inernet time for this amount if added on to current phone package. Also with the Andriods now becoming more popular there loads of inter company browsing ,ie: if in an area where lets say T mobile haven't got coverage you can connect through orange and vise a versa no extra charge. Plus most phones now search for open networks for you and potable Wi-Fi hot spots so if there any in the area they are free of charge Alan

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Ok so how do I connect my Iphone4 to my Dell notepad

Ok, so how do I connect my Apple IPhone 4 to my Dell note pad?

Doi takethe Apple USB lead and connect the phone to the notepad and then what? Do I have to change settings or will it recognize the phoneas being an external modem?

Bob:cry:

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Thank you Alan, time I moved onbi a bit, I'm still on an a ten year old Nokia and only use it for emergencies and texts so I'll have to get with it.
Ive moved on with mine ,but I still have the Motorola phone a bit worn and battered but fully working ,blue tooth and 3G :thumb::thumb:,your welcome to it if you want it just send me a padded envelope with postage stamps attached and it yours.oh !! open network so should work with your supplier. Alan

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp

Doi takethe Apple USB lead and connect the phone to the notepad and then what? Do I have to change settings or will it recognize the phoneas being an external modem?

Bob !!here we go full simple instructions on u tube enjoy Link Removed Alan:thumb:

Last edited:

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

have a read here bob
http://www.google.co.uk/webhp?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&hs=KeM&btnG=Search#hl=en&xhr=t&q=TETHERING+iphone&cp=10&pf=p&sclient=psy&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB%3Aofficial&site=webhp&aq=0&aqi=&aql=&oq=TETHERING+&pbx=1&fp=c4c89ab52ff2b600

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Ive moved on with mine ,but I still have the Motorola phone a bit worn and battered but fully working ,blue tooth and 3G :thumb::thumb:,your welcome to it if you want it just send me a padded envelope with postage stamps attached and it yours.oh !! open network so should work with your supplier. Alan

Thanks Alan, I've PM'd you. :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i reckon this has got to be the cheapest way to get mobile broadband.

instead of topping up the sim every month or when you've used the allowance, simply throw the sim away and buy more sims.

at £2.99 post free i cant see a cheaper way.

Link Removed

they also do 3gb vodafone for £7.99 with £15 credit attached...post free.
i bought my none expiring voda with £15 attached from them, £7.99, but they dont appear to have them now. :Sad:

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
Hi Andrew your right ,what I should have said is you are already paying for INTERNET conection on your phone ,or now have the new generation android phones you can connect through your phone for no extra charge!!:thumb::thumb: Also most dongles are around £15 ish per month you can get a hell of a lot of inernet time for this amount if added on to current phone package. Also with the Andriods now becoming more popular there loads of inter company browsing ,ie: if in an area where lets say T mobile haven't got coverage you can connect through orange and vise a versa no extra charge. Plus most phones now search for open networks for you and potable Wi-Fi hot spots so if there any in the area they are free of charge Alan

Hi Alan,

Yes what you say is correct, I'm going to set mine up tomorrow!

Andrew

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back