Chausson 514 - Anyone got/had one ( post-15 reg Ford) (1 Viewer)

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
As title, these look great value, bigger than PVC but smaller than lots at circa 40k new?

Have I missed anything? Any quirks I haven't spotted ?

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Hi - in case our experience of the slightly earlier model helps - we had a Chausson Best Of 04 2014 (special edition of 514) on Ford Transit as our first motorhome as Ā£10k cheaper than the van conversion that we had planned to buy & at the time there was a 10 year shell warranty (on a sliding scale). It's a good layout & excellent garage arrangement - the best we found in a 6m coachbuilt & great to store full size bikes more securely & loads of storage space. The payload is good & diesel heating works well including while driving. Shower surround much better than just a curtain. 3 way fridge with decent sized freezer compartment worked well but did have to be on the level. Although well insulated lots of air vents too so could get draughts in colder weather but never damp. One downside was having to have an increasingly expensive Chausson dealer only hab. service every year to maintain that shell warranty but it was transferable on selling so made it appealing to buyers. After 5 happy years with only minor problems (a tap & a light needed replacing) & now just the two of us we changed to our van conversion & prefer the narrower width & less concerns about the shell but we have the same layout.
Liked the Ford Transit cab & engine (reasonable servicing cost & Ford Assist) but had to upgrade the door lock security https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...al-cab-security-upgrades.132770/#post-1946280 (don't think it's such an issue on later model) & some insurers see Ford as higher theft risk (for parts) than Fiat so worth checking with insurers.
Have since heard of some owners having to have the large front Skyroof Heki stuck back on (ours was no problem though) but this year these are all the rage on Adria & Globecar models so presume any difficulties have been overcome now - it was good for star gazing but usually had the blind 3/4 shut to keep the sun out or heat in. The grill became the bread cupboard as it was very slow but this may have improved in later model. Like all coachbuilts there can be problems with the plastic shell & sealant as they age so worth going over that closely before buying if secondhand & not under shell warranty or check out the additional costs of maintaining that if buying new. We have a local Chausson dealer but did have to book a year in advance for hab. services!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Thanks for such good info
bread cupboard comment, I actually laughed out loud šŸ˜‚

Never had Diesel heating

Just thought that the offer of Ā£40 k for a brand new one, they are good value

Anyone else ???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thanks for such good info
bread cupboard comment, I actually laughed out loud šŸ˜‚
What's even funnier is when we met other owners with the same grill (whatever the make of motorhome) they used it for bread too so it was "snap" each time!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had a Chausson Flash 04 previously, 2010 vintage on a Ford, but the layout was very similar to the 514 in many ways, however it was 'chubby' a 2.3m which we didn't like. We were also unhappy about the quality of the fitments and materials used especially the wall boarding which dented very easily. It may be that things have improved since we had one but there's a reason they are cheaper than other makes and quality is IMV one of them.

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Thanks Mel

We have been thinking if a VW size camper but with a cassette toilet
Reality is , that you still have to make beds AND a VW is north of Ā£48 k if you want any kind of spec

Even a Renault/Nissan Trafic/NV300 or a Marquis Randger is still Ā£43k,

So a <6.0m with a fixed bed......40-45k is interesting
I get the point about quality though šŸ‘

The other one was SunLiving....and Im an Adria fan as you know

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Chausson 510 on a ford base.
agree it is a budget van, you can see how they are screwed together!
but so what , horses for courses.

only significant issue we have had is leaking window, sorted under warranty.

Chsusson dealers we have contacted say you have to have a habitstion check with the annual damp warrantry inspection to maintain the shell warrentry! Can't , or, rather wonā€™t just do a damp warranty test,

none of them can say why ( after the van is 3 years old so all warranty on the vans workings expired) except chausson say so.

read the handbook, very slippery words, defiantly a chausson rip off .

But ford base strong and able and drives very well.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks Mel

We have been thinking if a VW size camper but with a cassette toilet
Reality is , that you still have to make beds AND a VW is north of Ā£48 k if you want any kind of spec

Even a Renault/Nissan Trafic/NV300 or a Marquis Randger is still Ā£43k,

So a <6.0m with a fixed bed......40-45k is interesting
I get the point about quality though šŸ‘

The other one was SunLiving....and Im an Adria fan as you know
What about the Adria PVC offerings?

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Chausson 510 on a ford base.
agree it is a budget van, you can see how they are screwed together!
but so what , horses for courses.

only significant issue we have had is leaking window, sorted under warranty.

Chsusson dealers we have contacted say you have to have a habitstion check with the annual damp warrantry inspection to maintain the shell warrentry! Can't , or, rather wonā€™t just do a damp warranty test,

none of them can say why ( after the van is 3 years old so all warranty on the vans workings expired) except chausson say so.

read the handbook, very slippery words, defiantly a chausson rip off .

But ford base strong and able and drives very well.
You are so right, they are cheaper than a Swift or Elddis

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
We rented a Chausson in October 2018. It was nearly new and had so many rattling and squeaking we nearly brought it back immediately. We persevered but I had to fix a lot of things and use WD40 in several places to tame the squeaking. The diesel heater was a very close impersonation of a jet taking off, sure to wake you up at 3AM when the night gets colder. After the initial 15 minutes of loud noise it calms down, but then you get the ticking of the diesel pump to keep you awake. Oh and we never found a way to get the shower door to stay put while driving. That motorhome was a fragile piece of junk with an awful bed. In the affordable segment Carado and Sunlight are much better built while at comparable or even lower budget than Chausson.

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Can I put you down as a ā€œmaybeā€ then ?šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Seriously, thanks for the heads-up

Any more comments out there?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have a "best of 10". Had a flash 3 before that. Yes they are built to a budget but I think good value. Had ours in 2014 new keep thinking about changing but there's nothing much that looks any better. Small but a lot of space good payload some fragile trim but overall pretty good comared to what I've heard of some others. Ford base so yes we have new locks etc but a lot cheaper than some other mechanical problems insurance seems reasonable.
Looking at values depreciation seems pretty good we'll find out in the end.
The trigano group is huge look them up they must be doing reasonably ok the new autotrail models look like Chausson copies.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
By the way the grill is pants blocking off the outside ventilation to it reduces draughts drastically the Facebook Chausson owner's group is free to join and hab services can be expensive we use Cannock resprays they are approved repair and servicing agents but don't sell them.

Gadget

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 15, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrailTribute620
Exp
Since 1999
Pleased with our 'Best of 10'. Changed the useless grill to an Oven/grill - much better if a little slow to cook through (just allow extra time). I've managed to find over time where the rattles were, & fix them for a nice quiet travel. A useful mod was to put a strip of leds under the bottom drawer, with a 12v pir, the light switch for the shower/loo is too far away when having to use the facilities during the night; as one gets down from the bed, the led's light up the way automatically with out disturbing your partner.
However, I would like an automatic step, we carry a small step, always a bother to put it out and easily forgotten when we move off!
We bought this Chasson because our previous van (Herald Templar) also based on the Ford Transit had some serious chassis cracks. As we live in a small village and have trouble getting into our driveway, we needed a short and narrow van to get into our property. Don't like the offside door, just be careful when parking on a road.

Have not found another van that ticks our boxes though.

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Thanks both for comments

Remember we are comparing with a VW (or similar) LWB camper van with a spend of Ā£45k new, not a Hymer/Dethleffs/Burstner 7.5 metre 70k giant

So yes, eyes wide open on fit and finish

Also considering Sun Living S60 SP

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Surely the Ford security issues can be supplemented..?
I've fitted a hykee door lock and and obd port lock. It seems from what appears on here they are finding the fiats getting nicked more now too

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Have a look at the Carardo range, wish we had never got rid of ours!

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
We were told that we needed a tracker As it is a ford, by one company, so remained with C&MH Club insurance.

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks both for comments

Remember we are comparing with a VW (or similar) LWB camper van with a spend of Ā£45k new, not a Hymer/Dethleffs/Burstner 7.5 metre 70k giant

So yes, eyes wide open on fit and finish

Also considering Sun Living S60 SP

I really think this would be a much better buy:

<Broken link removed>

Excellent video presentation:

It is the equivalent model to the Chausson 514 and even by selecting most extras in the configurator, you cannot get to 50Kā‚¬! With a dealer discount this should be well within your budget and give you years of tranquility.

Carado is budget AND high quality. No rattles, no squeaks.

Also, having the experience of both I much prefer the Ducato to the Transit. Apart from the Transit being more utilitarian, I really hated the fact that when you turn the front seats on the Transit, the bar to adjust the front-back distance does not turn with the seat. That is a dumb design made by people who never use the thing. I found the handbrake to be frighteningly weak in steep hills as well.

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I really think this would be a much better buy:

<Broken link removed>

Excellent video presentation:

It is the equivalent model to the Chausson 514 and even by selecting most extras in the configurator, you cannot get to 50Kā‚¬! With a dealer discount this should be well within your budget and give you years of tranquility.

Carado is budget AND high quality. No rattles, no squeaks.

Also, having the experience of both I much prefer the Ducato to the Transit. Apart from the Transit being more utilitarian, I really hated the fact that when you turn the front seats on the Transit, the bar to adjust the front-back distance does not turn with the seat. That is a dumb design made by people who never use the thing. I found the handbrake to be frighteningly weak in steep hills as well.

V132 is on the list

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
V132 is on the list
I'd be interested to know what is included in the 'mass in running order' as its given as 2550 which seems VERY low!

For 2018 it was this:

The ā€œmass in running orderā€ (MRO) according to VO (EU) 1230/2012 is the mass of the unladen vehicle including the driver (75 kg) and full tank of fuel (90%) as well as the basic equipment: Fresh water tank with
reduced volume (20 kg), gas bottle (15 kg) and cable drum (4 kg). T

Last edited:

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
I'd be interested to know what is included in the 'mass in running order' as its given as 2550 which seems VERY low!

For 2018 it was this:

In accordance with VO (EU) 1230/2012 the ā€žmass in running orderā€œ includes 20 l fresh water, 1 Ɨ alu gas​
bottle (15 kg) and a cable drum (4 kg).​

I think Carado uses the same standard as the rest of the Germans which includes what you mention plus 75kg for the supposedly athletic driver.

<Broken link removed>, which seems reasonable given how basic the van is without extras.

It is entirely normal that it is much lighter than a 100% steel PVC.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Yes interestingly ā€œlightā€ in the brochure
As you know from the past, I will only be interested in what the scales say, but I don't think payload will be an issue

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back