LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
With only a little over 2 weeks to go until we hit the road for some skiing, the bloody French Snow dancers seem to of gone on strike. Hence, looks like the Alps is not yet conjucive to as good a skiing conditions as I like.

Therefore, quickly need an alternative should the need arise. Austria looks the favourite, or should I say place where the Snow Dancers are doing their bit.

However never been, Never wanted too, All I know is that Adolf was Austrian, it's next to Germany, It's a big place, they are crap at Football and err well that's it really.

So in just a couple of paragraphs can you talk me through it in a motorhome?

Ta

haggers.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Camp Alpin Seefeld is RV friendly and English is spoken.

Remember if your RV weighs over 3½ tonnes you will need a GO box for the motorway tolls.

Dick

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
We are in France at the moment, spent 2 weeks in the Alps, there is snow but icy and hard packed.
We have just arrived at Vosges Mountains Eastern France this morning and there is snow here, but not much ski-ing
We have been to Austria and Germany ski-ing the last 2 years- the first year we kept off the motorways only using A roads it is possible last year we bought a vinette as we are under 3.5 ton.
Germany try Garmisch Stellplatz it was about 20e a night with a free bus into town, or park free at the slopes.
-Oberstorf was a good aire similar price and close to lifts ski back almost to your van.
Austria- try the Zittertall valley there are plenty of campsites along the valley, we stayed on an aire in Hall but you will be too big for that.
Hope this helps have a good trip, we are home on 6th Feb
Sue

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

davvidof

Free Member
May 24, 2010
Felixstowe
Funster No
MH
None - Sold It!
Exp
2 Months
We are in France at the moment, spent 2 weeks in the Alps, there is snow but icy and hard packed.
We have just arrived at Vosges Mountains Eastern France this morning and there is snow here, but not much ski-ing
We have been to Austria and Germany ski-ing the last 2 years- the first year we kept off the motorways only using A roads it is possible last year we bought a vinette as we are under 3.5 ton.
Germany try Garmisch Stellplatz it was about 20e a night with a free bus into town, or park free at the slopes.
-Oberstorf was a good aire similar price and close to lifts ski back almost to your van.
Austria- try the Zittertall valley there are plenty of campsites along the valley, we stayed on an aire in Hall but you will be too big for that.
Sue

We wanted to travel through Austria at the beginning of April but have been put off because we have read that the law requires Winter Tyres between November and April 15th for vehicles up to 3.5 ton, as you have recent knowledge can you confirm that such a law exists please?

thanks

Dave:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
With only a little over 2 weeks to go until we hit the road for some skiing, the bloody French Snow dancers seem to of gone on strike. Hence, looks like the Alps is not yet conjucive to as good a skiing conditions as I like.

Therefore, quickly need an alternative should the need arise.

haggers.

Scotland .. it's snowing today :thumb:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Sue

Thanks Vera, would apprieciate some info on the Go Box as well if anyone has a comment. I am over 3.5t (4.2)
We have been to the Vosages, but sadly in answer to that and Jim's post, Feb half term is a no no no no no... way too busy and as much as we love Scotland, we have already been once to the slopes this year..:Cool:
Scotland .. it's snowing today :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Only thing I know about Austria is take everything with you...its damned expensive.

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
We wanted to travel through Austria at the beginning of April but have been put off because we have read that the law requires Winter Tyres between November and April 15th for vehicles up to 3.5 ton, as you have recent knowledge can you confirm that such a law exists please?

thanks

Dave:Smile:

Hi Dave , we have snow tyres with the snowflake on, but are not sure on the law, we thought it was if you are over 3.5ton.
Try the RAC or AA sites or the Caravan Club.
There are passes where you must carry snow chains.
Austria is a fabulous country hope you enjoy it.
We use Camping Cheques for sites out of season, and if you buy from the Caravan Club with your ferry booking you get cheaper ITX fares.

Sue

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
hi paul
Not able to give you any pointer regarding MH as I am newbie
But you should not worry too much with lack of snow in Feb for good conditions on piste.
through not had a lot of snow in January, Most, if not all, big resorts had banked the abundant snow during last December and using these snow reserves to repair worn out piste, and also snow cannons at strategic areas on the piste.
Downside is big resorts are a lot more expensive with ski passes, and lunches and all adds up if you have a big family,
Quick checked with SKI CLUB UK site that France , Austria, Swisserland with no snow forcast for the next week or so but piste conditions still range from hard pack to excellent.
With sun on your face daily, and good condition on piste, It would make a lovely skiing holiday. Beats grey ski , wet feet and clothes anytime.
You never know, it may still snow while you are at resort.
Enjoy your trip

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Only campsite I've stayed on which was in ski country was this one

http://www.camping-seehof.com/

Beautiful scenery but sadly they charge electric by the kwh.

You have to have winter tyres by law and carry snow chains - so I was told. Got a bit confused with the vignette/go box as I thought you purchased the vignette if your vehicle weighed less than 3.5t (which mine does) but found out afterwards that it depends on the maximum permitted weight of the vehicle so I should have had a go box but they wanted to charge me nearly 200 Euros to get to Vienna and back from the Tirol area (I guess your charged per km) so I forked out 7 euros for the vignette and risked it. These websites might be of help

http://www.austria.info/uk/how-to-get-there/austria-by-road-1134817.html

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/europe/austria

Oh and take plenty of money - hellishly expensive ::bigsmile:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Paul
Never been skiing so cant help there but we did stop in Innsbruck in the summer for 3 nights on way to lake garda. Stayed at a campsite called Nattersea lovely campsite and Innsbruck was a lovely place. We are under 3.5 and where told could pay any fees when paying toll for brennan pass but they only charged us the price of a car.

Not really much help but Austria was a lovely place.

Gerry

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Welllll.. we are plated at 4.1 tonnes.
We go to and thru Austria pretty often.
No idea what a Go Box is, never been asked or stopped.. Vignette is pretty cheap compared to Switzerland, people are friendly, and the pass's are amazing !

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
we have had a motorhome 4 years now and every year we have been to austria (only in the summer though) its a fantastic place, i think in the winter you have to have snow chains/tyres, if you are over 3.5 tonne you will need a go box, we are 3850kg but play it dumb and just buy a vignette its only 7.70e:Blush: we have never been stopped yet:Blush: we stayed on a good site in st anton once and each pitch had its own heated cabin there are some pics in my profile.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Fill up before you cross the border - yes it is expensive...very much so. But the expense is only revalled by the beauty.

There is also another beauty......it is small enough to enable you to drive through before needing to fill up again.

Enjoy!

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Hi

We have friends who have just come back from Samoens, it didn't snow much but the resort have bought loads of new snow cannons apparantly and they were out alot. It was a bit icy in patches but she said they got some good skiiing in and the sun was shining. They stayed in an apartment but are returning in April in their motorhome. :Smile:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
hi paul
Not able to give you any pointer regarding MH as I am newbie
But you should not worry too much with lack of snow in Feb for good conditions on piste.
through not had a lot of snow in January, Most, if not all, big resorts had banked the abundant snow during last December and using these snow reserves to repair worn out piste, and also snow cannons at strategic areas on the piste.
Downside is big resorts are a lot more expensive with ski passes, and lunches and all adds up if you have a big family,
Quick checked with SKI CLUB UK site that France , Austria, Swisserland with no snow forcast for the next week or so but piste conditions still range from hard pack to excellent.
With sun on your face daily, and good condition on piste, It would make a lovely skiing holiday. Beats grey ski , wet feet and clothes anytime.
You never know, it may still snow while you are at resort.
Enjoy your trip

Thanks
It's not the piste skiing we are after, we generally like going off piste and enjoy the whole winter brasard with snow outside the van.
As regular French Skiers we have skied in worse condition than that of the moment but thought we would take the opportunity to go over the mountain. I know stacks of very small resort's with bundles of snow cannons, with cheap liftpasses, and great aires if you ever want to take your motorhome, Its just never done Austria.

Got 2 weeks to go yet and the most resorts are offering difficult conditions at base with better conditions up top, however, a lot can change in two weeks, so heres hoping, :thumb:

Lynn ( Mrs Ash )

Free Member
Aug 16, 2010
(The Midlands) Nuneaton
Funster No
MH
A-Class Frankia 640 Exclu
Exp
9 yrs
Got 2 weeks to go yet and the most resorts are offering difficult conditions at base with better conditions up top, however, a lot can change in two weeks, so heres hoping, :thumb:[/QUOTE]

Lets hope our fingers & toes a crossed , really looking forward to it :Smile::Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back