Weekend away (Dump Valve problems) (1 Viewer)

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Well got back from my weekend away,one night parked up free at :thumb:Bowness on Windermere as there's no parking restrictions on Glebe road between October 31st and Easter Friday,Checked with traffic warden no problems at all there happy for our custom during this period.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=glebe+road+bowness&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Glebe+Rd,+Bowness-on-Windermere,+Windermere,+Cumbria+LA23,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&sqi=2&ll=54.358896,-2.925391&spn=0.001008,0.00239&z=19&layer=c&cbll=54.359042,-2.925724&panoid=T6Di9uzpP5aZIB8cMucrTA&cbp=12,321.53,,0,12.58

A luvly town to stop at with loads open and places to eat, even through the winter,I would thoroughly recommend it. OH!! ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:As an added Plus,:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: my Wife was over the moon as Simon Gregson **Steve McDonald** from Coronation st was in the Ship Inn all night so full brownie points for me..

However we got up in the Morning no water in heater despite leaving heating on all night,the truma dump valve had dumped water ,mind you it was -8 outside but like toast on inside. We had filled the kettle up on return from pub about 130am ish for a cupa and didn't turn pump off before bed,(doh!:Doh: my guess is the water from the tank was freezing and reduced temperature to bellow 8 degrees at valve,when we filled kettle up and got washed before bed ,as we had a couple of drinks to keep us warm ,we didn't notice . We woke up the next morning luvly and warm but too the sound of the water pump clicking & pumping away but no water to wash with, however there was enough water left in kettle for a cuppa..:thumb: :Blush::Blush:

Anyway after a great day in Bowness we moved up over the Kirkstone pass to Sykeside Camping Park & Brotherswater Inn. http://www.sykeside.co.uk/

A really nice site,our first time here ,It had purpose built hard standing for Motorhomes and totally seperate from caravans and tents each with there own section at £17.50 a night out of season ,all the usual things showers,etc,also meals and pub were great,packed out despite the cold weather and loads were in tents as well :Eeek::Eeek:brrrrrr. The the warden didn't moan at all even when I topped my water up twice as my dump valve opened again as soon as I drew cold water through the tap. I gave up in the end & filled a bottle as its one of them modern type valves and I was unable to stop it doing its job as soon as I tried to turn tap on away it went.

Was like an ice rink round my van in the morning.

Really cold again outside in the Morning,but god it was so picturesque mist over tops of mountains that were all covered in snow ,along with a really hard frost ,but it was really well worth the stay,just for the view we woke up too,we had a luvly cooked breakfast cooked by our friends ,followed by a brisk walk down to Brothers water and back ,then off down to Patterdale and a slow drive home. Over all a great weekend I would thoroughly recommend it to you all . :thumb::thumb:

Alan

Please see link to combi heater unit fitted heater
http://www.trumauk.com/products-hea...tart=0&jsearch=&jorder=&jprod=&jseries=&jname=

Last edited:

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Not familiar with your van, but our heater and water heater are independent units, so this maybe off the mark if yours is combined, but are you leaving the truma on (water heater) when filled with water? This is the only way to ensure it wont dump. If it is on, then probably best get it checked out.

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Not family with your van but our heater and water heater are independent units, so this maybe off the mark if yours is combined, but are you leaving the truma on (water heater) when filled with water? This is the only way to ensure it wont dump. If it is on, then probably best get it checked out.
Yes mines independent too,blow heater continued to work no problems ,but as soon as I drew any water through it dumped water that was in tank and as valve was open it just continued to pump it out.If Id noticed all I had to do was turn water pump of .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Well got back from my weekend away,one night parked up free at :thumb:Bowness on Windermere as there's no parking restrictions on Glebe road between October 31st and Easter Friday,Checked with traffic warden no problems at all there happy for our custom during this period.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=glebe+road+bowness&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Glebe+Rd,+Bowness-on-Windermere,+Windermere,+Cumbria+LA23,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&sqi=2&ll=54.358896,-2.925391&spn=0.001008,0.00239&z=19&layer=c&cbll=54.359042,-2.925724&panoid=T6Di9uzpP5aZIB8cMucrTA&cbp=12,321.53,,0,12.58

A luvly town to stop at with loads open and places to eat, even through the winter,I would thoroughly recommend it. OH!! ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:As an added Plus,:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: my Wife was over the moon as Simon Gregson **Steve McDonald** from Coronation st was in the Ship Inn all night so full brownie points for me..

However we got up in the Morning no water in heater despite leaving heating on all night,the truma dump valve had dumped water ,mind you it was -8 outside but like toast on inside. We had filled the kettle up on return from pub about 130am ish for a cupa and didn't turn pump off before bed,(doh!:Doh: my guess is the water from the tank was freezing and reduced temperature to bellow 8 degrees at valve,when we filled kettle up and got washed before bed ,as we had a couple of drinks to keep us warm ,we didn't notice . We woke up the next morning luvly and warm but too the sound of the water pump clicking & pumping away but no water to wash with, however there was enough water left in kettle for a cuppa..:thumb: :Blush::Blush:

Anyway after a great day in Bowness we moved up over the Kirkstone pass to Sykeside Camping Park & Brotherswater Inn. http://www.sykeside.co.uk/

A really nice site,our first time here ,It had purpose built hard standing for Motorhomes and totally seperate from caravans and tents each with there own section at £17.50 a night out of season ,all the usual things showers,etc,also meals and pub were great,packed out despite the cold weather and loads were in tents as well :Eeek::Eeek:brrrrrr. The the warden didn't moan at all even when I topped my water up twice as my dump valve opened again as soon as I drew cold water through the tap. I gave up in the end & filled a bottle as its one of them modern type valves and I was unable to stop it doing its job as soon as I tried to turn tap on away it went.

Was like an ice rink round my van in the morning.

Really cold again outside in the Morning,but god it was so picturesque mist over tops of mountains that were all covered in snow ,along with a really hard frost ,but it was really well worth the stay,just for the view we woke up too,we had a luvly cooked breakfast cooked by our friends ,followed by a brisk walk down to Brothers water and back ,then off down to Patterdale and a slow drive home. Over all a great weekend I would thoroughly recommend it to you all . :thumb::thumb:

Alan
Hi Alan
Did you leave the unit on the winter setting this keeps constant hot water a heating, so our dump as not dumped on that setting. Pete :thumb:

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi Alan
Did you leave the unit on the winter setting this keeps constant hot water a heating, so our dump as not dumped on that setting. Pete :thumb:
Peter It doesn't have a winter setting ?? read manual through twice plus had the camp fitter take a look ,he said it was working fine ,but it the extreme water temperature that opens the valve. The valve is grey with a knob on the top that has to be in the 9 & 3 position,you then press the button in fully at the bottom,if above 8 degrees the button stays in ,cold water pipes attached to the inlet and outlet of this valve.

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Yes mines independent too,blow heater continued to work no problems ,but as soon as I drew any water through it dumped water that was in tank and as valve was open it just continued to pump it out.If Id noticed all I had to do was turn water pump of .

One would think if you have heated the water in the truma (and continue to do so whilst replenishing) that there should be enough residual heat to prevent it dumping. Does sound like there maybe a fault on on the auto dump thermostat, but since ours has a manual drain I will leave to those with more experience to guide you with next move.

Good luck with getting it sorted.

Edit to add if there is any chance of temperatures dropping sub zero I always leave the water on the electric heater if on EHU and on a low gas setting in not on EHU, to prevent any likelihood issues.

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
One would think if you have heated the water in the truma (and continue to do so whilst replenishing) that there should be enough residual heat to prevent it dumping. Does sound like there maybe a fault on on the auto dump thermostat, but since ours has a manual drain I will leave to those with more experience to guide you with next move.

Good luck with getting it sorted.
To be honest it was a pain,I have been on the phone this morning and they have told me it is a common problem ,you can actually buy and attachment that heats it up . or put a bypass switch in for winter use . But he said that defeats the object of the valve to protect the unit water heater,its a combi boiler that can run without water so it doesn't damage anything but the valve is very sensitive to changes in temperature .

Last edited:
OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
HI Pete just had another read through manuals it doesn't have a winter setting,but can run on a combination of gas and electric . Please see link showing unit with controls. Alan

http://www.trumauk.com/products-hea...tart=0&jsearch=&jorder=&jprod=&jseries=&jname

Hi Alan
I have asked the oracle has she normally sees to the heating and water settings, What we was told at the dealers was set the temp on the top dial to what level required then set the bottom dial to the setting at the bottom, (that's the one with the 2 wiggly lines and what looks like a gas flame) we have used that one and not dumped the boiler, hope this helps. Pete

Ps We stopped twice in 2010 at the CC Site on Glebe Rd very handy site :thumb:

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
weekend away

sounds like you had a fab time can t wait to get away in our van maybe next couple of weeks:Smile:

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi Alan
I have asked the oracle has she normally sees to the heating and water settings, What we was told at the dealers was set the temp on the top dial to what level required then set the bottom dial to the setting at the bottom, (that's the one with the 2 wiggly lines and what looks like a gas flame) we have used that one and not dumped the boiler, hope this helps. Pete

Ps We stopped twice in 2010 at the CC Site on Glebe Rd very handy site :thumb:
yep it was set there ill get it sorted. we wernt on the site as its still closed but actually parked on the Glebe road just before it ,a quite road and like I said no parking restricitons over the winter.
Thanks for your help Alan

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Alan

Glad you had a good weekend.

Was just wondering if you had an external tank and the water taken in is colder than from an internal tank, that must supply slightly warmer water.
The only time I have had problems was filling up at home prior to going away, when everything was cold. Once I have heated up then get no problems.

Just a thought

Dave .:thumb:

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi Alan

Glad you had a good weekend.

Was just wondering if you had an external tank and the water taken in is colder than from an internal tank, that must supply slightly warmer water.
The only time I have had problems was filling up at home prior to going away, when everything was cold. Once I have heated up then get no problems.

Just a thought

Dave .:thumb:
Hi Dave no its internal under front dinette seat. Phoned tech today and they said its working fine,apparently it should be fully lined and lagged to work correct in extreme weather conditions, ie: below 8 degrees ,he just laughed when I said Id filled water tank up at from site tap at - 7 to - 8 .:Eeek: suggested warming system up first by switching heater on and then leaving on 24/7 whilst hot then turn water pump on and it works fine , I think it was a combination of very cold weather,and extremely cold water. Alan

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi Alan Glad you seem to have got an answer any way

Best of luck.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Truma Service department

Truma Service department have just e mailed me it is not faulty ,there reply was ,

You can fit a frost control heating element to your drain valve, this should alleviate the issue you have , you can purchase this part through any Motorhome dealer such as Brownhills or Tyne Valley Motorhomes.

If you require any further assistance do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards
Nicki Price
Service Department Administrator - Truma UK
Service Department

If they are aware its a problem I would have thought they would offer this on purchase but at least there reply was very quick

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Same problem

Just been away this weekend to Ripon,the truma auto dump valve dumped all weekend :Doh::Doh::Doh:,got so fed up in the end ,ripped it out and jumped on it a couple of times and tossed it over the field in temper.and when I calmed down bypassed it by bodging a 15mm pipe bought at Jewsons to the existing 12mm . Thought it was the temp,last time out ie: 7% and below. But this weekend it really got on my nerves ,all I can say is cheep plastic crap :Blush::Blush:
Ordered a manual replacement of e bay last night ,the yellow type with 12mm push fit.:thumb::thumb: as far as truma goes they offered to sell me a add on to the valve that warms it up to above freezing ,if thats the case what is the point in having it in the first place

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi Alan

Tend to agree with you does not seem any point in fitting a heater to dump valve, does away with the purpose of the valve.

Best of luck.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Weekend away Dump valve problems

Hi, you have very similar dials to me.
the top one-
60 and 40 - this is to heat water only, probably use it in mild weather and summer.
O is all water and heating off.
the next one down is heating only,
and the bottom one is the winter setting, heating and hot water to 60 degrees.
The numbers relate to the thermastat setting for the heating.So if really cold, I would set it to heating and water 60, and the temp dial to about 2 for background heat. As long as you have the water and heating on constant, I don't see why the water should dump. I have camped in minus 10, no problems, but the heating and water constantly on.

The other dial -
the 2 squiggles is using electric only for whatever you have selected on the first dial. 1 squiggle uses less electric - depends what you are hooked up to.

the next one down uses gas only, and the next two is using gas and electric. I found that at minus 10, i only used electric, with a short gas top up for the heating in the evening.

Hope this helps, Sue

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I just cheated !
When out in the van I keep the valve shut ( in the UP position ) by the simple expedient of a cable tie that is round the button and I hook it on a convenient pipe ..

Bit of a bodge but cheap and more importantly it works well !!

As soon as we get home I unhook the cable tie

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi, you have very similar dials to me.
the top one-
60 and 40 - this is to heat water only, probably use it in mild weather and summer.
O is all water and heating off.
the next one down is heating only,
and the bottom one is the winter setting, heating and hot water to 60 degrees.
The numbers relate to the thermastat setting for the heating.So if really cold, I would set it to heating and water 60, and the temp dial to about 2 for background heat. As long as you have the water and heating on constant, I don't see why the water should dump. I have camped in minus 10, no problems, but the heating and water constantly on.

The other dial -
the 2 squiggles is using electric only for whatever you have selected on the first dial. 1 squiggle uses less electric - depends what you are hooked up to.

the next one down uses gas only, and the next two is using gas and electric. I found that at minus 10, i only used electric, with a short gas top up for the heating in the evening.

Hope this helps, Sue
Thanks Sue your exactly right ,but even with heating constantly left on 2 and water on 60 every other hour ,when we used cold water whoosh it dumped . I have used my last motorhome in the middle of winter no problem ,I think its faulty :Doh: anyway its off now and changing it to a manual version. But I do appreciate the reply. Alan :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I just cheated !
When out in the van I keep the valve shut ( in the UP position ) by the simple expedient of a cable tie that is round the button and I hook it on a convenient pipe ..

Bit of a bodge but cheap and more importantly it works well !!

As soon as we get home I unhook the cable tie
You cant fiddle these valves ,there a grey unit with a press in button on the back,and a manual switch on the top that has to be in the 9 to 3 position before the button can be pressed in ,only above 7 or 8 will it stay in. Alan

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
So you cannot cable tie it in once it is in then ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back