Black Forest and Tuscany (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
We have just bought our first motorhome, a Hymer B584, and are busy planning this year's itinerary. We plan to do a UK trip first (Scotland in May) and would like to do the Black Forest and Tuscany in August. We'd like advice about this continental trip, i.e. do we need to book any (or all) campsites? We'd ideally like to just book a couple and leave some open but don't know if this would be advisable. Also, any recommendations on campsites/areas would be appreciated.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Tuscany in August.

Camping Michaelangelo in Florence. Nice walk down the hill into town, get the bus back.

Link Removed

Camping Loreleyblick

Link Removed

Must do Lake Garda when passing.

I suspect sites will be very busy and very expensive.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi we where in germany last summer on way to lake garda during school hols and didnt book anything. We also stayed in the black forest 3 years ago for a week will look up site for you later. Have you thought about buying the stellplatz books as we used a few last year and where all great and easy to find.

Where a bouts in Scotland you looking to visit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Our daughter lives in Glasgow, so planning to start there and go as far north as possible, taking in a few islands. Any advice would be good.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi again

Depends what islands you mean but we did the outer hebrides easter 2009 and loved it.
If you go on to the cal mac website and have a look at there rover tickets this is a ticket you can use for several islands we did 8 crossings for 3 of us and it cost about £230 think it was a hopscotch ticket.

If you go out of season will be cheaper we are thinking of going to Arran in feb and only £90 return for 3 of us and 6.2m mh.

If it is the outer hebrides your going to or thinking of let me know as my daughter and wife did a wee story each day of where we stopped and what we did.

Gerry

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Italian campsites in August are jam packed and expensive. You must book - if you can!
Germany is not so bad, but the Black Forest is also very busy in August - mainly with French, Italian, Swiss and Britisj tourists.

Good luck

BobT

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Hi again

Depends what islands you mean but we did the outer hebrides easter 2009 and loved it.
If you go on to the cal mac website and have a look at there rover tickets this is a ticket you can use for several islands we did 8 crossings for 3 of us and it cost about £230 think it was a hopscotch ticket.

If you go out of season will be cheaper we are thinking of going to Arran in feb and only £90 return for 3 of us and 6.2m mh.

If it is the outer hebrides your going to or thinking of let me know as my daughter and wife did a wee story each day of where we stopped and what we did.

Gerry

Hi Gerry,
Many thanks for this advice.
We plan to go in May for 15/18 days. I have to admit about not knowing too much about the places and islands of Scotland. I really need to get a BIG map of Scotland and the Isles and plan an itinerary.
However - if there are any 'do not miss' places or isles that can be recommended please let us know.

If you don't mind I'll take you up on your offer of info if we do include the Outer Hebrides,

Cheers
John (and Diane)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
If you're heading up to the top, there's a reasonable site at John O'Groats, on the east, but right across the top at Durness there's a super site. The road to Cape Wrath is in a restricted military area, but the whole of the west coast from there south is superb.

There's a very good site at Wick, but you have to phone and they come and guide you in, as there's a low bridge on the obvious route. It's also the last big supermarket.

May is a good time to come, the midges are not fully awake!

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi John and Diane, I see you have decided on September. We love Germany and the Black Forest but to honest the best time to go there is May / June and its lovely, :thumb: later in the year can be nice but we came though last September / October and the clouds were so low you could only see 20' in front of you, we stayed at Barden Barden very nice. :Smile:

But soon moved on to the Mosel Valley. We have been there loads of times and never get bored, September / October is the best time, they pick the grapes and have wine fest all the way along the Mosel and loads of Stellplatz so no need to book anywhere, have a look at Dons post here:

Link Removed

If you have cycles take them, you will love it.::bigsmile:

We use this: http://www.vicarious-shop.com/product.php?productid=102&cat=12&page=1 Bob.

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
If you're heading up to the top, there's a reasonable site at John O'Groats, on the east, but right across the top at Durness there's a super site. The road to Cape Wrath is in a restricted military area, but the whole of the west coast from there south is superb.

There's a very good site at Wick, but you have to phone and they come and guide you in, as there's a low bridge on the obvious route. It's also the last big supermarket.

May is a good time to come, the midges are not fully awake!

Many thanks for the information - will certainly take it into consideration, and will especially look for the sites at Durness and Wick.
Looking forward to the planning,
John and Diane :thumb:

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Hi John and Diane, I see you have decided on September. We love Germany and the Black Forest but to honest the best time to go there is May / June and its lovely, :thumb: later in the year can be nice but we came though last September / October and the clouds were so low you could only see 20' in front of you, we stayed at Barden Barden very nice. :Smile:

But soon moved on to the Mosel Valley. We have been there loads of times and never get bored, September / October is the best time, they pick the grapes and have wine fest all the way along the Mosel and loads of Stellplatz so no need to book anywhere, have a look at Dons post here:

Link Removed

If you have cycles take them, you will love it.::bigsmile:

We use this: http://www.vicarious-shop.com/product.php?productid=102&cat=12&page=1 Bob.

Hi Bob,
Many thanks. We may have to have a rethink in terms of where to go - to be honest, we'll enjoy anywhere and don't mind where we go in mainland Europe. Black Forest and Tuscany just came to mind but as it's our first trip in the MH to the continent everywhere is new!
The dates are the only thing which are more or less fixed (August or September, but probably now September).
We'll do some research on the Mosel valley.
Many thanks again, all advice very welcome!
John

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Bob,
Many thanks. We may have to have a rethink in terms of where to go - to be honest,
Many thanks again, all advice very welcome!
John

Follow this old thread, it worked a treat.

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back