Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I contacted NFU online and was told they did not do Fulltiming insurance for Motorhomes. Others have said they are insured for fulltiming with NFU.

After other contacted me and advised me to contact the Louth Office of NFU. I emailed them as follows:

I am Full timing with my wife on our Hymer S700 Motorhome. Currently we have full timing cover with Comfort Insurance. Can you please let me have details of your Full Timing Motorhome Policy. We have full no claims (Protected) I am 67 and my wife is 68 we both drive.

Our Motorhome is on a Mercedes 410D 1992 chassis. It is left hand drive.

We also tow a Bantam Smart Car Trailer which carries our Smart ForTwo 2000 LHD Diesel.

I recieved this reply:

Thank you for your email.

By Full timing do you mean that you are your wife live in the motorhome full time? If this is the case I am Sorry but we would not be able to provide you with a quote.
If this is not the case please let us know and we will correspond again.

Thank you

Sarah Stubbs
Insurance Clerk

So it looks like Comfort Insurance is the only company that will take on Full timers now.

tantanell

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
trawling through europe
Funster No
Exp
camping forever.motorhoming 8years
i'm insured with Aviva through comfort at the moment but not full time. have you ever had reason to make a claim? I've had an ongoing thing since July with them. I couldnt even begin to start explaining why .. its driving me mad, I need full time and have enquired with safeguard. So far I have a quote for £350 ish. a friend toured europe for a year, no problem and he's only 24! I'd rather have paid a higher premium than have the bother i've had. dont think Aviva can read english.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
i'm insured with Aviva through comfort at the moment but not full time. have you ever had reason to make a claim? I've had an ongoing thing since July with them. I couldnt even begin to start explaining why .. its driving me mad, I need full time and have enquired with safeguard. So far I have a quote for £350 ish. a friend toured europe for a year, no problem and he's only 24! I'd rather have paid a higher premium than have the bother i've had. dont think Aviva can read english.

Hi tantanell

We are also with Comfort. We are on their Full time policy. Premium is £1003 for our Hymer S700 1992. Full European breakdown. I have found Comfort easy to deal with. They have answered any query I have had without any problems. We also have our Smart car with them.

Before going full time we also had household and travel insurance with them. They only provide travel insurance along with household.

Yes. I have claimed with Comfort when we had our safari room blow over the top of the van, The claim was handled without any problems and quickly. This was before we went full time.

To the best of my knowledge, Comfort is the only company that offers true full time Motorhome insurance. That is, no UK residence required only a contact address. Check with the other companies if they have limits on use such as length of time abroad in any trip or in the year, address requirements, vehicle length and weight, etc. People claim to have full time insurance from NFU but it would seem it is not generally available, but limited to existing customers.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I have Safeguard insurance, fully comp and about £340 a year I think. Its called Safeguard 365 and as far as I am aware it covers you for 365 EU travel.

I know people who are full timing who are using this policy. I think I read somewhere it requires you to come back to the UK once a year but I havent found anything in the policy stating this, neither have I found anything stating the maximum length of a single trip. I suspect you have to have a UK address but if I were full timing I would just use my sisters address as my place of residence for letters, bills etc. Im not sure you can get any insurance if you dont have an address can you?

The safeguard cover includes full EU breakdown cover as well.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I have Safeguard insurance, fully comp and about £340 a year I think. Its called Safeguard 365 and as far as I am aware it covers you for 365 EU travel.

I know people who are full timing who are using this policy. I think I read somewhere it requires you to come back to the UK once a year but I havent found anything in the policy stating this, neither have I found anything stating the maximum length of a single trip. I suspect you have to have a UK address but if I were full timing I would just use my sisters address as my place of residence for letters, bills etc. Im not sure you can get any insurance if you dont have an address can you?

The safeguard cover includes full EU breakdown cover as well.

Hi Barry

We use our daughters address as a contact address. We do not live there. Comfort are the only insurers that do not require a residential address in the UK

If you check your policy you will find it asks for a UK residence or UK residential address, therefore you need to be registered for community tax, electoral roll etc there.

I pay higher premium by way of a full timing premium to the standard Comfort policy. This way all I need is a contact address.

John

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi Barry

We use our daughters address as a contact address. We do not live there. Comfort are the only insurers that do not require a residential address in the UK

If you check your policy you will find it asks for a UK residence or UK residential address, therefore you need to be registered for community tax, electoral roll etc there.

I pay higher premium by way of a full timing premium to the standard Comfort policy. This way all I need is a contact address.

John

My plan was to "officially" be resident at my Sisters address. So it would be "officially" where I live. I will probably stay there for a couple of weeks of the year. Its a very grey area and there have been endless discussions on this and Im still not entirely sure whats what. On FACTS there was a post from comfort and even they were a bit wooly as to if they really offered full timers insurance!

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We are with the NFU and do hold a full time insurance however as I have said before we have a long history of over 30 years insuring with the NFU and our company still insures with them. It has been made very plain to me that they will not take on new business for Fulltimers due to the very high risk of 'travellers' ,'gypsies' etc getting insurance and then making claims out of proportion to their situation I think was the term given. I suspect though if you had been insured with them for a number of years before going fulltime you may well have been accepted as they would have had history with you. I cannot blame them as them more claims they have the higher the premiums for everyone else becomes. Maybe when 365 gets big enough for lobbying there will be a company that is prepared to tailor a policy for the members ??

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
My plan was to "officially" be resident at my Sisters address. So it would be "officially" where I live. I will probably stay there for a couple of weeks of the year. Its a very grey area and there have been endless discussions on this and Im still not entirely sure whats what. On FACTS there was a post from comfort and even they were a bit wooly as to if they really offered full timers insurance!

Hi Barry

On FACTS there was a post from comfort and even they were a bit wooly as to if they really offered full timers insurance!

The top of my insurance schedule from Comfort is endorsed "Full Time". I think that confirms that they do full time insurance. They will also take on new full timers. They are not cheap but at least I know I do have insurance cover that works.
Comfort publish their full terms on-line including their limitations and exclusions. I have had difficulty finding the same info for other companies who only publish highlights and do not publish their list of exclusions until you get a quote from them.
By having a UK residence your 365 insurance should be OK.

Hi Landy Lover

I suspect though if you had been insured with them for a number of years before going fulltime you may well have been accepted as they would have had history with you

That was the impression I got from NFU, when all of my enquiries drew a blank.

John

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Thanks John. I think the post from comfort on FACTS was a bit wooly probably because they didnt want to lay their cards down on a public forum but it caused quite a stir. Cant say I blame them really as these forums are well indexed by google. As soon as you comit to saying anything its easily found by the wide world.

Anyway insurance is the last of my worries. Im still trying to get a plan together and persuade the wife to go. Doesnt look like our April departure has a hope in hell of happening right now!

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
I have an idea Barry you are refering to a thread Comfort started almost two years ago on Facts. I think they were testing the water. Prior to that we had organised a fulltiming rally where we had a rep from an insurance company come over and met us. They were testing the market, had spotted a possible lucrative market for them which they have now put together a plan for.

Personally I can't see the need. A fulltimers van, for potential insurance losses is safer than a holiday van. The occupants are in the van all the time. Holiday vans when not in use are either kept on the drive or in storage.

Comfort Insurance are offering a unique policy and charging a lot for it

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
It does seem a bit daft. There is no way Im paying £1000 per year for insurance. If I ever get away Im just going to stick with the Safeguard 365 I think. Not sure what you do when you get to countrys such as Turkey or Morocco though, presume you have to take out short term extra insurance. Im sure we will want to venture out of Europe eventually when I get bored of bumbling around France and have drank all their wine and scoffed all their cheese. Actually that might take a while.:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Personally I can't see the need. A fulltimers van, for potential insurance losses is safer than a holiday van. The occupants are in the van all the time. Holiday vans when not in use are either kept on the drive or in storage.

Comfort Insurance are offering a unique policy and charging a lot for it

I can't see the need either Stew, but that's not how the insurance risk assessors see it.

by definition a fulltimer lives in his vehicle 365 with no fixed abode... he/she may have a contact address but that's not the same as a place of residence .. Failure to disclose this fact, even if not specifically asked, will void the policy.

I strongly suspect that many fulltimers do not have full time insurance and are running a huge risk of loosing everything ... they have a certificate that will get them road tax and pass inspection by the police .. but may be worthless if they have a claim.

Comfort have provided a policy specifically for the full timer, there is no competition so can charge what they like..

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I can't see the need either Stew, but that's not how the insurance risk assessors see it.

by definition a fulltimer lives in his vehicle 365 with no fixed abode... he/she may have a contact address but that's not the same as a place of residence .. Failure to disclose this fact, even if not specifically asked, will void the policy.

I strongly suspect that many fulltimers do not have full time insurance and are running a huge risk of loosing everything ... they have a certificate that will get them road tax and pass inspection by the police .. but may be worthless if they have a claim.

Comfort have provided a policy specifically for the full timer, there is no competition so can charge what they like..

We also have a car on the trailer. The underwriters class this as a very high risk (not garaged and parked on sites) and load the premium for it also. If anything happens we know we have declared everything so should be covered. How many cars are carried/towed by full timers and the underwriters have not been informed of the facts. The car is fully comp on the trailer as well.

Full timing has its costs. They need to be factored for in the calculations.

Just done a search on FACTS insurance database today and it shows other companies and their own policy cover Full timing so things may be changing.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp

I hear what you are saying Jim but who defines whether someone is a fulltimer. Like me you live in a house Jim. If you have a motorhome and have an accident is your insurance company going to ask you how many nights you actually slept in the house before paying out? If you did not sleep there enough nights, say you did a lot of touring would your insurance be void? Is there such a thing as a qualifying number of nights?

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I hear what you are saying Jim but who defines whether someone is a fulltimer. Like me you live in a house Jim. If you have a motorhome and have an accident is your insurance company going to ask you how many nights you actually slept in the house before paying out? If you did not sleep there enough nights, say you did a lot of touring would your insurance be void? Is there such a thing as a qualifying number of nights?

As Jim said Full Time cover is for a person with no fixed abode. If you have a house then you are not dependant on your motorhome as your sole residence therefore not full timing.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
As Jim said Full Time cover is for a person with no fixed abode. If you have a house then you are not dependant on your motorhome as your sole residence therefore not full timing.

Of course you are not John. But where does the definition "fulltimer" come from?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
... where does the definition "fulltimer" come from?

Just from general usage.. ie. to do something full time rather than part time...
It could be employment .. you work the standard working week so full time rather than part time.
Can you full time part time ?

Or put another way, can you say I full time for three months of the year .. ? Well, you may, and many do, but it's not fulltiming in the accepted sense.

IMO .. A Fulltimer .. someone who lives 365 days in their motorhome and has no other abode. The qualifying words are 'no other abode' You may live with someone for a week or two as a guest but you are still a fulltimer as you have no address where you pay rates or utility bills.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Of course you are not John. But where does the definition "fulltimer" come from?

Long Term Touring & Full Timing​
13. This policy is subject to the following conditions:
Policyholders must maintain a full UK residence, either through ownership or long term rental agreement
(of at least 9 months) unless a full-timing rate has been agreed and paid.
The address shown on the Schedule must be the one at which the policyholder is on the electoral roll,
(unless a full-timing rate has been agreed and paid) and also the one that appears on the driving licence
and vehicle documentation.
The motor caravan must at all times have a valid MOT certificate (unless not required due to age of the
vehicle) and current UK road fund licence & tax disc.
Should a copy of a utility bill (as evidence of residence at the address) be requested at any time​
(inception, mid-term, renewal, in the event of a claim) then one must be provided.

The Terms of the Policy state what they consider to be long term touring or full time use and what is required to not be classed as full time or long term touring are 1. a residence and 2. to be on the electoral roll and 3. be able to produce a utility bill in your name.

If you do not conform to the above requirement they require an extra premium for what they consider the extra risks or you are not covered.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Insurance.....fulltime

Talking to a campsite warden, (who had a "fiver" delivered this week) ...this morning, the question of fulltime insurance came up for an airing.......he is with SAGA, he was so impressed with the quote he questioned it twice.....he has requested full time insurance and given the campsite address as his contact address,.....SAGA responded......"we do not charge exta for full timers, you just have to be over 55"

Like others, we have a "history" with NFU, about 10 years now, and have made one claim, flooded engine in 2007 floods, repair bill £5800.00.............cost us the excess of £150.00. Well pleased.

But it may be worth having a look at the SAGA policy.

Nomadic

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Talking to a campsite warden, (who had a "fiver" delivered this week) ...this morning, the question of fulltime insurance came up for an airing.......he is with SAGA, he was so impressed with the quote he questioned it twice.....he has requested full time insurance and given the campsite address as his contact address,.....SAGA responded......"we do not charge exta for full timers, you just have to be over 55"

Like others, we have a "history" with NFU, about 10 years now, and have made one claim, flooded engine in 2007 floods, repair bill £5800.00.............cost us the excess of £150.00. Well pleased.

But it may be worth having a look at the SAGA policy.

Nomadic

Why do you have to be over 55? Thats ageist! Why would I be a higher risk at 45? Actually hang on a minute, ive had a think. I probably am. But most 45 year olds are sensible, Im just an exception so its still not fair.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Long Term Touring & Full Timing​
13. This policy is subject to the following conditions:
Policyholders must maintain a full UK residence, either through ownership or long term rental agreement
(of at least 9 months) unless a full-timing rate has been agreed and paid.
The address shown on the Schedule must be the one at which the policyholder is on the electoral roll,
(unless a full-timing rate has been agreed and paid) and also the one that appears on the driving licence
and vehicle documentation.
The motor caravan must at all times have a valid MOT certificate (unless not required due to age of the
vehicle) and current UK road fund licence & tax disc.
Should a copy of a utility bill (as evidence of residence at the address) be requested at any time​
(inception, mid-term, renewal, in the event of a claim) then one must be provided.

The Terms of the Policy state what they consider to be long term touring or full time use and what is required to not be classed as full time or long term touring are 1. a residence and 2. to be on the electoral roll and 3. be able to produce a utility bill in your name.

If you do not conform to the above requirement they require an extra premium for what they consider the extra risks or you are not covered.

am I right in thinking thats taken from a comfort inusrance policy John?

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
QUOTE=barryd;390554]Why do you have to be over 55? Thats ageist! Why would I be a higher risk at 45? Actually hang on a minute, ive had a think. I probably am. But most 45 year olds are sensible, Im just an exception so its still not fair.[/QUOTE]

SAGA's rules and regs...I suspect.

Never known anyone under 55 being refused.

Nomadic

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
am I right in thinking thats taken from a comfort inusrance policy John?

Yes it is from their published terms.

It is the only one I can find on-line. Other companies dont seem to make their terms available until you sign up with them.

Last edited:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Yes it is from their published terms.

It is the only one I can find on-line. Other companies dont seem to make their terms available until you sign up with them.

I thought so John. Whilst the terms are fine for comfort I do not think they mean other policies from other companies are void.

This is how it works in reality. As far as I know there is no such legal identity as a fulltimer as we motorhomers refer to. If you try to put "of no fixed abode" on your driving license or to the doctor or to many other bodies it will not be accepted, you need an address, in eyes of these bodies you are legally required to "live" somewhere. But no where can I find any requirement to actually sleep at that property. Comfort can put terms into their policies all they want but it does not change how other companies work.

Looking at the comfort terms you list how would you take an RV to the station to have a new one if the previous one ran out? You can legally drive a vehicle without an MOT to a booked MOT station but you still need insurance to do so.

Also on the point of the utility bill...if you took out the non fulltiming insurance with them but you lived at home with your parents or rented a room in shared occupancy you might not have one. If you did not notice this requirment, as its quite unusual might you find yourself uninsured in the event of an accident.

This all comes down to how you see yourself and not actually how the legal bodies accept you. IMHO Comfort have seen an opportunity to make a lot of extra money from inurance for "fulltimers"

Insurance companies sell us 365 day policies for our motorhomes, they should not mind if we choose to use them for 365 days and in most cases I do not think they do.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I thought so John. Whilst the terms are fine for comfort I do not think they mean other policies from other companies are void.

This is how it works in reality. As far as I know there is no such legal identity as a fulltimer as we motorhomers refer to. If you try to put "of no fixed abode" on your driving license or to the doctor or to many other bodies it will not be accepted, you need an address, in eyes of these bodies you are legally required to "live" somewhere. But no where can I find any requirement to actually sleep at that property. Comfort can put terms into their policies all they want but it does not change how other companies work.

Looking at the comfort terms you list how would you take an RV to the station to have a new one if the previous one ran out? You can legally drive a vehicle without an MOT to a booked MOT station but you still need insurance to do so.

Also on the point of the utility bill...if you took out the non fulltiming insurance with them but you lived at home with your parents or rented a room in shared occupancy you might not have one. If you did not notice this requirment, as its quite unusual might you find yourself uninsured in the event of an accident.

This all comes down to how you see yourself and not actually how the legal bodies accept you. IMHO Comfort have seen an opportunity to make a lot of extra money from inurance for "fulltimers"

Insurance companies sell us 365 day policies for our motorhomes, they should not mind if we choose to use them for 365 days and in most cases I do not think they do.

Is anyone else who has a "Full Timing policy" with another company other than Comfort willing to check and publish the terms of their policy. That is a policy that is marketed/marked as Full timing, not just 365 day cover.

All that any of the authorities require is an address they can contact you at. Comfort also requires this. However most insurances require a UK RESIDENCE address. As you say a 365 day cover policies are sold but requires that you also maintain a UK residence. Comfort also require this unless you pay the higher risk premium.

Other companies I have found that are listed as offering Full time Cover are Sureterm Direct. Adrian Flux, Coversure Insurance, NFU, Down Under and Regency Insurance Brokers Ltd.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A reader asks..

We are selling our house and plan to buy a motor home to live in, travelling both in Britain and abroad.
What insurance will we need for the motor home and where should we use as the correspondence address?

Graeme Trudgill, technical executive with the British Insurance Brokers gives this advice :

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/insurance/ask-an-expert/article.html?in_article_id=505823&in_page_id=136

Bottom line, call it what you may, fulltiming, long term travelling .. provided you are totally honest with your broker or insurance company you have nothing to fear.. except the quote.

Being 'creative' ( a euphemism for telling lies ) when getting a quote and you will void the policy. ..

Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
insurance

I contacted NFU online and was told they did not do Fulltiming insurance for Motorhomes. Others have said they are insured for fulltiming with NFU.

After other contacted me and advised me to contact the Louth Office of NFU. I emailed them as follows:

I am Full timing with my wife on our Hymer S700 Motorhome. Currently we have full timing cover with Comfort Insurance. Can you please let me have details of your Full Timing Motorhome Policy. We have full no claims (Protected) I am 67 and my wife is 68 we both drive.

Our Motorhome is on a Mercedes 410D 1992 chassis. It is left hand drive.

We also tow a Bantam Smart Car Trailer which carries our Smart ForTwo 2000 LHD Diesel.

I recieved this reply:

Thank you for your email.

By Full timing do you mean that you are your wife live in the motorhome full time? If this is the case I am Sorry but we would not be able to provide you with a quote.
If this is not the case please let us know and we will correspond again.

Thank you

Sarah Stubbs
Insurance Clerk

So it looks like Comfort Insurance is the only company that will take on Full timers now.

we are considering full timing for a year or so, could you please tell us what sort of insurance we would need? we have the mh insured of course but dont know about any other sort
thanks
:Smile:

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
we are considering full timing for a year or so, could you please tell us what sort of insurance we would need? we have the mh insured of course but dont know about any other sort
thanks
:Smile:

Have you checked with your insurer that the cover you have will allow you to live full time in the Motorhome? 365 days cover does not necessarily mean it covers living in the van 365 days a year. What limits are imposed of duration of stays out of the UK?

If you have a home address and no one is renting this as their residence, then your cover may be OK, but if your home is your motorhome, and you only have a contact address, the insurance may not be valid in the case of a claim. You may have a bit of paper to get road tax or pass an inspection by police on the road, but if something goes wrong it could be a different story both for you and any other party involved.

As far as I know only one company (Comfort) offer true full time/long term insurance to new customers. That is insurance that does not require a UK residence.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I fulltime and I insure via Comfort.

I have tried a number of other providers, but once I say that I live fulltime in my MH they all say they cannot provide cover.

My MH is registered at a UK address, as are all those other things such as Tax, Bank Acc., credit cards etc. etc. but this does not count as far as other providers are concerned.

IMO those who fulltime and have a UK address, but do not live there and do not have a proper Fulltime policy, are taking a huge risk.

Pete:Cool:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I'm another fulltimer that is insured with Comfort - as a fulltimer (the word 'fulltiming' appears on my policy document).

I have a UK address that I use for banks, DVLA, etc but it is a friend's home and not mine. When I was getting insurance quotes, Comfort were the only company to offer true fulltiming insurance. Their definition: if you do not own a house or have a house rental lease with at least 9 months to run, then you are fulltiming.

It is down to you to inform the insurance company of all relevant information. If they do not ask if you are fulltiming, that does not mean you should not tell them. If (gods forbid) you need to make a claim, then they are likely to wriggle out of paying you any money. It is easy for them to check on whether you own or rent a house.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back