Jan 28, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
1 year
Hi.
I'm touring Spain in my British motorhome. My partner is doing likewise in his Norwegian motorhome. We'd like to sell one or both vans and travel in only one as we're getting married this summer. The issues are:
I've tried to add Bjorn to my insurance but he's a non-UK-resident so they won't add him.
Motorhomes are much more expensive in Norway, but insurance is ok for anyone.
MOTs need to be done annually in the UK, every 3 years in Norway. What about other countries? Is all EU annual?
Does anyone have any suggestions re the insurance if we were to buy a van in the UK? We need insurance which allows the whole year abroad.
Should I marry a Viking? :ROFLMAO:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Can you insure a Viking?

The question is can you insure a Viking?

Bob:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Throughout the EU, all Vehicles must be insured in the country of registration. End of story.

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
It is all very well saying about the EU, but Norway is not a member of the EU.

Immigration will not be a problem as Norway is a member of the European Economic Area, which gives Norwegians the same rights to free movement as EU citizens have.

MOTs vary by each country, in Denmark it is every second year but only for cars that are 4 years or older.

I guess that the answer really depends on where you want to go with your motorhome, do you want to go to the Mediterranean countries or all over the continent? Settle for the country that is closest to your prefered destination, or look at the various costs of living in Norway versus UK. (taxes, buying new vehicles and so on)

Rasmus

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
whatabout this company for ex pats in Spain

Yup, Ibex at Lloyd's - who also have a service co registered in Spain, therefore will place the cover either in UK or Spain.

Simples! LOL

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Surely it will depend on which country you are both living in, once married and living here Bjorn will be a UK resident one presumes.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have sold a few American vehicles to Norway in the past and I know that a lot of Norwegians buy older American RVs from the UK.
I don't know what the situation is regarding import restrictions in Norway now,but am sure it would be cheaper to buy in the UK or Germany and import into Norway.
The Scandinavians love older American vehicles maybe because of the less import duty they pay,and parts are readily available .
There is also a large amount of camper buses up there,ie coach,bus conversions.
Regarding marrying a viking...dont know much about that,only that I remember from school they were pretty good at rape and pillage:Smile:.

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
Regarding marrying a viking...dont know much about that,only that I remember from school they were pretty good at rape and pillage:Smile:.

I am a Viking too (from Denmark) and I have lived in Bristol for 3 years without raping or pillaging anyone (yet ):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Rasmus

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I am a Viking too (from Denmark) and I have lived in Bristol for 3 years without raping or pillaging anyone (yet ):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Rasmus
Not much call for it nowadays Rasmus...especialy around the St Pauls area:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living

Rasmus

can you get us a cheap deal on bacon:RollEyes:

OP
OP
T

Terriex

Free Member
Jan 28, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
1 year
Thanks....

Thanks for the advice guys (and gals). Bjorn and I will be living in Norway for 3 months of the year and heading south for the sun for at least 6 months: Spain is good but then on to Morocco, etc.
Bjorn tells me that Vikings don't rape or pillage anymore, at least, only on Fridays and Saturdays. They need the rest of the week to recover! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp

Rasmus

You should visit Norfolk - it seems most of the population are descendants from Viking raids, even the surnames are all Nordic!

As far as it goes for the OP- I would suggest, that if you were to be married, then he would be able to claim dual citizenship anyway, and have an english address (yours presumably) which would not be a problem with insurance.

He may well have to have an english address to prove he is resident (or permit) to be insured I do know immigrants that are insured in the UK, even though they have foreign passports - but they do have UK adresses and permits.

Asf for the van, if it is worth more in his country of origin, this may be the best place to sell the vehicle, and then take yours and trade in for a joint owned vehicle in the UK - or even elsewhere and register in the UK.

Either or, you will need a permit and a UK address for both of you to be living at and register the van. After that, you can do what you wish! Marriage would be the easier option to secure re-entry into the UK. You may need to provide proof of the relationship, as they are quite suspicious due to the number of scam marriages - but that will not be a problem. Probably just interviews to realise you are genuine.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Throughout the EU, all Vehicles must be insured in the country of registration. End of story.

When we shipped our RV and car from the USA I insured BOTH with NFU using both there chassis and US tag numbers.

Mick

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
You should visit Norfolk - it seems most of the population are descendants from Viking raids, even the surnames are all Nordic!

As far as it goes for the OP- I would suggest, that if you were to be married, then he would be able to claim dual citizenship anyway, and have an english address (yours presumably) which would not be a problem with insurance.

He may well have to have an english address to prove he is resident (or permit) to be insured I do know immigrants that are insured in the UK, even though they have foreign passports - but they do have UK adresses and permits.

Asf for the van, if it is worth more in his country of origin, this may be the best place to sell the vehicle, and then take yours and trade in for a joint owned vehicle in the UK - or even elsewhere and register in the UK.

Either or, you will need a permit and a UK address for both of you to be living at and register the van. After that, you can do what you wish! Marriage would be the easier option to secure re-entry into the UK. You may need to provide proof of the relationship, as they are quite suspicious due to the number of scam marriages - but that will not be a problem. Probably just interviews to realise you are genuine.

As he is a Norwegian citizen, there is no need for getting a permit to live here or getting British citizenship, because Norway is a member of the European Economic Area, which means that Norwegian people are free to travel in and out of this country as they please (unless they get caught raping or pillaging, in which case, I guess that the police will want to stop the free movement :ROFLMAO:)

Rasmus

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back