Mar 12, 2015
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC...probably!
Exp
Post Corona...
How about a Vantage Sky 5 berth ?

Agree, that was another I looked at quite a bit online...and would like to see in real life.

Link here for reference:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
to6y

to6y

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC...probably!
Exp
Post Corona...
Upvote 0
OP
OP
to6y

to6y

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC...probably!
Exp
Post Corona...
I'm sure there were a few more U lounge, 4 belt/berth PVC vans but obviously didn't save the links!!

Now I've started this thread, when I come across them again, I will post for reference.

If anybody else knows of new vans with this exact setup, please do share.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
An A Class is in second place but really doesn't appeal, 95% a PVC is the answer.

We plan on using for:
  • one weekend a month most of the year
  • Summer half term
  • Autumn half term
  • 6 weeks over the summer

Advantages:
  • PVC = narrow so good for small lanes and car parks
  • U lounge & front dinette, gives two living area
  • 100% day use, 100% night use...seems to maximise space in such a small van
  • front dinette can still be used when front bed lowered...therefore room for dogs to sleep at night
  • Can park on the street
  • large side door and rear door means easy access to outside
  • loo can be reached by all four at night
  • includes loo and shower...neither will be used if alternative external facilities are available

Disadvantages:
  • No 4x4
  • Have to re-plate...means my wife cannot drive as her license wouldn't allow (may take additional test)
  • Small everything but especially...shower, loo, fridge, water
  • One of the beds is not fixed therefore less comfortable
  • Lack of storage generally

Storage plans:
  • Obviously to be careful with what we carry...
  • No awning
  • Internal
    • clothes
    • toothbrush
    • food
    • pots and pans
  • Garage (limited with U lounge)
    • electric cable
    • hose
    • gas
  • Towbar allows cargo box + 2 bikes or 4 bikes on rear
    • summer hols we'd have 4 bikes
    • rest of the time we'd have cargo box + 2 bikes (for the kids), in box depending on time of year, destination etc
      • wetsuits
      • wellies
      • jackets
      • BBQ
      • ...outdoor stuff we need regular access to
  • Roof storage
    • Box
      • camping table
      • camping chairs
      • tow rope
      • jump leads
      • chocks
      • ...outdoor stuff we don't need regular access to
    • Surf boards
    • Solar - potentially partially covered some of the time by surf boards

Concerns:
  • Volume of storage available internally
  • Rear axle weight limit if carrying towbar cargo box + 2 bikes
  • Lack of roof space for...solar + range of storage
  • Where does "outdoor stuff we need regular access to" listed above get carried when we have 4 bikes rather than cargo box + 2 bikes

Regarding the Dreamer specifically...

• One of only a few PVCs that have seen with all the features I need...U lounge, 4 beds, 4 seats etc
  • Seems higher quality than most other PVCs with these features
--

I'll probably think of other things I'd like to add to this post a few minutes after I can no longer edit it :)

Did you go fulltiming with your family as you planned five years ago?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
to6y

to6y

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC...probably!
Exp
Post Corona...
Did you go fulltiming with your family as you planned five years ago?

Had everything planned and we were days away from leaving but in the end we didn't as we moved my son (he has ADHD) to a new school that are fantastic so our backup plan of road schooling wasn't needed.

We do (or did pre-Corona) travel (planes, trains and automobiles) all the time though and are always outdoors but that is the closest we've come.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
They look like a nice conversion for sure, are they the budget Rapido PVC?

Dreamer Select is the re-brand of Campereve, also owned by Rapido, a premium PVC brand with high standard spec and usually priced slightly above the corresponding Rapido Van PVCs.

Dreamer Fun is the pared-down spec entry level / budget range.

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2011
Chichester,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Wildax Hi Top
Exp
Since 2002
Definitely budget range.We had 3 Rapido A class Motorhomes one after the other that we imported from Bonjour Caravanning in Rennes.We were very happy with the quality and after sales were brilliant.We visited the factory in Mayenne a couple of times. I personally wouldn’t go for a budget range and from what he says the OP wouldn’t be happy either,reading between the lines.
Now I am on my own the small Wildax suits me fine and I wasn’t surprised when Rapido saw the potential of the brand and took over the company.Duncan Wildman one of the two founders remains as managing director up in Yorkshire.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
to6y

to6y

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC...probably!
Exp
Post Corona...
Have to say from my research Dreamer Select don't appear to be budget when I have compared to most other PVCs.

I'd also say that for my spec U lounge, 4berth/belt they seem to be the highest quality available.

Obviously have yet to see one in person

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Two adults, two children and two dogs and I would have to say forget it, or any other PVC for that matter, way tooooooo small for your needs.
Very expensive also, classed as a budget Rapido :Eeek:
Spend lots of time looking before spending lots of money regretting.
Norman.
We have slept 4 plus a parrot in our campscout revolution but with the 2 rear double beds.
The trouble with using the front as a bed which we can also do with the dinette converted to a single is that if you want to get up there is nowhere left to go!
Also as lenny said you need to up plate to more than 3850kg. My van is up plated to 4500kg
Would also advise that the extra height in the H4 means bigger top lockers for storage and a feeling of a bigger van. With the front bed being a drop down it limits storage and head height and will make the van darker inside as you have no light from a roof window.
Take a look at the Campscout revolution, it is a lot more versatile. We use ours for business and pleasure, the rear bed is electric and can be used at different heights.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
to6y

to6y

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC...probably!
Exp
Post Corona...
We have slept 4 plus a parrot in our campscout revolution but with the 2 rear double beds.

I'll take a look in a moment.

The trouble with using the front as a bed which we can also do with the dinette converted to a single is that if you want to get up there is nowhere left to go!

You can still just about sit under the bed in the front, see:

Not the exact van I was looking at but same bed and this clip shows you can use the downstairs section while it is lower, definitely enough room for the dogs to sleep at night anyway.

Also as lenny said you need to up plate to more than 3850kg. My van is up plated to 4500kg

Dealer tells me I can up plate Dreamer to 4500kg, which I'd do.

Would also advise that the extra height in the H4 means bigger top lockers for storage and a feeling of a bigger van. With the front bed being a drop down it limits storage and head height and will make the van darker inside as you have no light from a roof window.

I think I would prefer two doubles in the back for a number of reasons including these.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
to6y

to6y

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC...probably!
Exp
Post Corona...
I like it but once you add all the extras that you want you could easily be close to ÂŁ90K

Have you seen it in person, my main worry about Dreamer is quality, not cost.

Vantage Sky looks nice but 4 hours away from me.

This:
could be even better however need to improve the 4th bed as is currently just over the seat in the cab and not suitable for anybody over 10 I guess.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Have you seen it in person, my main worry about Dreamer is quality, not cost.

Vantage Sky looks nice but 4 hours away from me.

This:
could be even better however need to improve the 4th deb as is currently just over the seat in the cab and not suitable for anybody of 10 I guess.
We are close to Vantage and RP.
RP are quite new on the scene, they do have some innovate features. I have seen their vans in person and from the surface they look good but haven't delved deep.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
to6y

to6y

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC...probably!
Exp
Post Corona...
Take a look at the Campscout revolution, it is a lot more versatile. We use ours for business and pleasure, the rear bed is electric and can be used at different heights.

<Broken link removed>

Looks nice, like the use of corridor space for the shower...not sure why more don't do that!

We want a rear lounge though so crossed off list but thanks for recommendation

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I'll take a look in a moment.

You can still just about sit under the bed in the front, see:

Not the exact van I was looking at but same bed and this clip shows you can use the downstairs section while it is lower, definitely enough room for the dogs to sleep at night anyway.

Dealer tells me I can up plate Dreamer to 4500kg, which I'd do.

I think I would prefer two doubles in the back for a number of reasons including these.

Theres not a lot of headroom for the bed, wonder exactly how much? When both rear beds are in the Revolution bed headroom is limited but useable for adults. But when we need to sleep only 2 then the bed can be dtopped low giving massive space.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
to6y

to6y

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC...probably!
Exp
Post Corona...
Theres not a lot of headroom for the bed, wonder exactly how much?

Front dropdown bed in Dreamer Living Van:

IMG_6504.jpg

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
<Broken link removed>

Looks nice, like the use of corridor space for the shower...not sure why more don't do that!

We want a rear lounge though so crossed off list but thanks for recommendation
Rear lounge on a PVC sleeping 4 is a difficult one, you need storage for 4 peoples gear, so rear lounge cuts down storage.
We use our bed to lay on in the daytime so dont mind not having a rear lounge.
We can also travel with 4 bikes inside which you cant do with a rear lounge.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
to6y

to6y

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC...probably!
Exp
Post Corona...
Rear lounge on a PVC sleeping 4 is a difficult one, you need storage for 4 peoples gear, so rear lounge cuts down storage.
We use our bed to lay on in the daytime so dont mind not having a rear lounge.
We can also travel with 4 bikes inside which you cant do with a rear lounge.

All the gear is definitely an important issue to overcome.

I thought I'd get:
<Broken link removed>
plus:
which can carry up to 4 bikes but would actually use it most of the time for this:
and then add this above for the kids bikes:

Roof could have surfboards, and another roof box if necessary.

That way inside van is only for food, clothes, bedding etc

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Bike racks are pain on PVCs as your rear doors need to be used more than you think. Some racks block the doors, others restrict the window opening and others just wont take the weight. Personally I wouldn't leave any bike on a rack if its worth anything. Too easy to steal. Plus the hassle of getting 4 bikes on and off the rack, been there done that.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Bike racks are pain on PVCs as your rear doors need to be used more than you think. Some racks block the doors, others restrict the window opening and others just wont take the weight. Personally I wouldn't leave any bike on a rack if its worth anything. Too easy to steal. Plus the hassle of getting 4 bikes on and off the rack, been there done that.
Just adding to Jezport's observations. If you want to hang anything on the back doors, make sure you can still open and close them easily. We find we're in and out of them all the time, not least to turn the gas on and off for travelling. And our toilet chemicals are kept there too. Also to get access to all the other paraphernalia we carry in the boot - levellers, hook-up cables, outside mats, recliner chairs and table etc etc.

And additionally, as Jez has said - security is always a concern with stuff hung outside.

Just thinking out loud... (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
to6y

to6y

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC...probably!
Exp
Post Corona...
Bike racks are pain on PVCs as your rear doors need to be used more than you think. Some racks block the doors, others restrict the window opening and others just wont take the weight.

Just adding to Jezport's observations. If you want to hang anything on the back doors, make sure you can still open and close them easily. We find we're in and out of them all the time, not least to turn the gas on and off for travelling. And our toilet chemicals are kept there too. Also to get access to all the other paraphernalia we carry in the boot - levellers, hook-up cables, outside mats, recliner chairs and table etc etc.

This:
<Broken link removed>
should let the box swing away from the doors

This:
should let the bikes remain attached and the door opened

Personally I wouldn't leave any bike on a rack if its worth anything. Too easy to steal.

And additionally, as Jez has said - security is always a concern with stuff hung outside.

Only the kids bikes, nothing worth pinching

Upvote 0
Jul 8, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I’m a newbie
Does anyone know the size of the gas locker, and the type of bottle (5.1kg) that the Living Van takes? Is a refillable bottle possible with this model?

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Does anyone know the size of the gas locker, and the type of bottle (5.1kg) that the Living Van takes? Is a refillable bottle possible with this model?
I was surprised when you mentioned a 5.1kg gas bottle for the Dreamer Living Van, but checking the spec that is exactly what the brochure indicates. I can only assume it is a size available in France, but as to the dimensions I can't assist. I suspect if you're unable get to see and measure one in the flesh, so to speak, an enquiry to Rapido/Dreamer should elicit the answer, so you can determine whether a standard UK 6kg bottle can be installed. If so, it would be straightforward to use a refillable cylinder. An alternative could be addition of an underslung tank. You can get 4.5kg exchange propane gas bottles in the UK - not sure about refillable?

Thinking that 5.1kg is a small capacity for a French-converted van - many can handle 1 or 2 x 11kg bottles - but I see space heating in the Living van is fuelled by diesel, and the fridge is a compressor design, so presumably the gas supply is for cooking only.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back