Anyone with useful experience? (2 Viewers)

rubyduby

Free Member
Jan 23, 2011
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
:Angry: As a newbie, not sure if this is in the right place, story;- Brand new motorhome, dampness within 1st year , reluctantly rectified by manufacturer,(apparently we were suppose to have internal checks every so often..never mentioned in purchase,as we live in Argyll had we known we would not have bought it) 18 months later more dampness,more excessive ( poss due to design fault or bad workmanship)

Would love to throw this vehicle back and say repair and sell !!

Anyone had a siimilar problem and how was it sorted:Angry:

Anyone been tripped up by not having had bodywork /hospitality check survey...never mentioned in purchase

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
we bought a new m/home a few years ago and had not only damp, but water running along the floor when travelling, turned out to be the wheel arches hadn't been sealed, check yours this might be the problem

EJB

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
Suffolk (by choice)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1+
It's always a requirement of a vehicle warranty that certain servicing and inspections are carried out.
You say it was never mentioned at time of purchase.........please read the conditions etc of your warranty documents.

Then chase the dealer to resolve the problem.

There are a few cases of damp in new MHs and most cases, to my knowledge, are resolved in due course by either the dealer or the manufacturer.
Remember the dealer sold the vehicle and is therefore responsible to you.

Good Luck:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
:Angry: As a newbie, not sure if this is in the right place, story;- Brand new motorhome, dampness within 1st year , reluctantly rectified by manufacturer,(apparently we were suppose to have internal checks every so often..never mentioned in purchase,as we live in Argyll had we known we would not have bought it) 18 months later more dampness,more excessive ( poss due to design fault or bad workmanship)

Would love to throw this vehicle back and say repair and sell !!

Anyone had a siimilar problem and how was it sorted:Angry:

Anyone been tripped up by not having had bodywork /hospitality check survey...never mentioned in purchase

Habitation service is an annual one, 12 months after purchase date, you were therefore within the time period, further damp 6 months later should be rectified under warranty especially after they were supposed to have rectified it six months earlier

Peter

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We had a problem with damp, turned out to be insufficient insulation, fixed by manufacturer with no further problems. Habitation checks only have to be done every 12 months while under warranty, the same as servicing.

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Sorry to hear you've had prblems with your vehicle and hope they get resolved. When we purchased our Roller Team new we were told about hab service etc. Nearer to the 12 months of buying we received a letter from the dealers reminding us this.

Dale

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
First :flyingwelcome:

There is such a thing as the sale of goods act and 12 months any one could resonably expect a new motor home to be water tight, I would say it is not fit for purpose, I am sure bob will be here soon to put the legal jargon on my words. When I was in the motor trade within reason I would have repaired a second hand one at no cost let alone a new one, the question I always used to ask myself was If I bought it would it be ok for me if the answer was no fix it in or out of warranty didn't matter, that could be the reason we were successful with alot of repeat business and many customers becoming friends.

All the best Rick.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
You are doing ok Rick

First :flyingwelcome:

There is such a thing as the sale of goods act and 12 months any one could resonably expect a new motor home to be water tight, I would say it is not fit for purpose, I am sure bob will be here soon to put the legal jargon on my words. When I was in the motor trade within reason I would have repaired a second hand one at no cost let alone a new one, the question I always used to ask myself was If I bought it would it be ok for me if the answer was no fix it in or out of warranty didn't matter, that could be the reason we were successful with alot of repeat business and many customers becoming friends.

All the best Rick.

Is it you birthday to day Rick??????

Yes Rick..Sale of Goods Act.. Fit for purpose .. Do you accept the damp? No

You have allowed them to repair.. Me I would have rejected the goods.. You do not have to allow a repair.. Statutory right out trump a warrenty.

Ok, you have allowed them to try and put it right.. You cannot now reject the goods... You take it back and have them put it right.. Last chance..if not you tell tell them you will have the repair done else where and you will seek the cost from them... You issue proceeding in the county court.. Not 100% sure of the Scottish courts, but they do have a similar proceedure.

Just do not get fobbed off. You do have legal redress.

Bob:Blush:

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
Is it you birthday to day Rick??????

Yes Rick..Sale of Goods Act.. Fit for purpose .. Do you accept the damp? No

You have allowed them to repair.. Me I would have rejected the goods.. You do not have to allow a repair.. Statutory right out trump a warrenty.

Ok, you have allowed them to try and put it right.. You cannot now reject the goods... You take it back and have them put it right.. Last chance..if not you tell tell them you will have the repair done else where and you will seek the cost from them... You issue proceeding in the county court.. Not 100% sure of the Scottish courts, but they do have a similar proceedure.

Just do not get fobbed off. You do have legal redress.

Bob:Blush:
So, once (out of generosity to them) you allow them to try fix it, you cannot then reject, if the problem (or others manifest) continues? Therefore, rejecting out of hand immediately a serious problem occurs, is the best option?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Yes 100% reject the goods

So, once (out of generosity to them) you allow them to try fix it, you cannot then reject, if the problem (or others manifest) continues? Therefore, rejecting out of hand immediately a serious problem occurs, is the best option?

I know it is a hard thing to do.. But if you have a serious issue and I do mean serious not a leaking tap... You return the goods... Even if it is a motor home.. You may have to accept some loss of funds dependent on how many miles you have put on the clock. But it comes down to the good old word reasonable.

A lot of members will know of a company called Lakeland.. Supply household items, has lots of stores.. There warrenty.. If itvdoes not do what the buyer wants take it back.. Refund or exchange no questions asked.. Have I ..yes and do they live up to there promises.. Yes 100% .. Now that is a good business ethos.

What if they will not take the goods back? It is contact Trading Standards time
... Then you can issue proceedings if you need to.

We so often in this country are prepared to be ripped off by companies that try and duck there legal obligations. If you challange them they will back down,, I.e

New built in cooker last December.. Fan fails 10 after delivery and install.. Could reject, but bad time as Christmas..need cooker.. Indisit sent engineer out replaced fan.. Cannot now reject .. Two days before one year old fan stops again.. Engineer just flips fan with knife to get it working .. Waited in forthis repair....repair???? Stops working again next day..this time new fan fitted.. Warrenty out of date, but fan fitted free. I ask for compensation for my wasted time... Told we do not pay compensation.

Matter of principle not money .. Write to them with a 7 days notice of legal action.. £55 nuisance claim... Within 7 days they send me a £25 Sainsbury's gift card... Would I have issued proceedings for the £55.. Yes as they thought they could just dismiss rights.

If a company does not keep an appointment you are entitled to be reasonably compensated for your wasted time.. Same as if you incure expenses returning the motor home for repairs.. out of pocket expenses should be paid to you.. If not make a claim.

I recall Toffs RV had an issue when bought his first RV and the company took it back .. griffins... Good on them, that is the way to do business .. repurchased the next one from them.

It does not need to cost you a fortune, and you do not need to use a solicitor to get compensation.. The small claims court .. Under £5k is a friendly place .. The court has to make sure unrepresented claimants are not taken advantaged of by companies who have lawyers .. Remember providing it is not a frivolous claim no costs are awarded win or lose. P.m if you have questions.

Bob:Eeek:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
See below from Bob.

If ever there was a reason, apart from the hundreds of other tips i have had off here, for payin your £10 then this post has been it.

We do not know how lucky we are having this funster helping us all.

Thank you Bob, thank you very much indeed.

I know it is a hard thing to do.. But if you have a serious issue and I do mean serious not a leaking tap... You return the goods... Even if it is a motor home.. You may have to accept some loss of funds dependent on how many miles you have put on the clock. But it comes down to the good old word reasonable.

A lot of members will know of a company called Lakeland.. Supply household items, has lots of stores.. There warrenty.. If itvdoes not do what the buyer wants take it back.. Refund or exchange no questions asked.. Have I ..yes and do they live up to there promises.. Yes 100% .. Now that is a good business ethos.

What if they will not take the goods back? It is contact Trading Standards time
... Then you can issue proceedings if you need to.

We so often in this country are prepared to be ripped off by companies that try and duck there legal obligations. If you challange them they will back down,, I.e

New built in cooker last December.. Fan fails 10 after delivery and install.. Could reject, but bad time as Christmas..need cooker.. Indisit sent engineer out replaced fan.. Cannot now reject .. Two days before one year old fan stops again.. Engineer just flips fan with knife to get it working .. Waited in forthis repair....repair???? Stops working again next day..this time new fan fitted.. Warrenty out of date, but fan fitted free. I ask for compensation for my wasted time... Told we do not pay compensation.

Matter of principle not money .. Write to them with a 7 days notice of legal action.. £55 nuisance claim... Within 7 days they send me a £25 Sainsbury's gift card... Would I have issued proceedings for the £55.. Yes as they thought they could just dismiss rights.

If a company does not keep an appointment you are entitled to be reasonably compensated for your wasted time.. Same as if you incure expenses returning the motor home for repairs.. out of pocket expenses should be paid to you.. If not make a claim.

I recall Toffs RV had an issue when bought his first RV and the company took it back .. griffins... Good on them, that is the way to do business .. repurchased the next one from them.

It does not need to cost you a fortune, and you do not need to use a solicitor to get compensation.. The small claims court .. Under £5k is a friendly place .. The court has to make sure unrepresented claimants are not taken advantaged of by companies who have lawyers .. Remember providing it is not a frivolous claim no costs are awarded win or lose. P.m if you have questions.

Bob:Eeek:

MR2

Free Member
Jul 10, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5+years
Dampness

You didn't say who you bought it from nor the make. However, as previously posted, your dealer should have informed you of the need for servicing and annual habitation checks which include damp test. Your warranty should cover the case of water ingress and the necessary remedy as part of the Warranty, See your dealer!!

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Dampness

Hi Re read the post from 'Meander' on page 1. Damp can be created from many a sauce
Like when we are using the stove. A by product of burning gas is water apart from steam from kettle and pan boiling also from the use of the shower. When we are asleep we breath out moisture. This damp air will always settle on a cold part of the roof or a cold corner. The only answer to damp from this sauce is to ventilate. Hope this mite be of some help.
PK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back