Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Fifer Touring "M" 2017 E6
Exp
10 years +
About 15 years ago I painted my concrete Garage Floor with Floor Paint. Over time the paint has become rubbed off and I am thinking of repainting. However I don't want to spend a huge amount of time on it and don't have access to tools etc to re-sceed the floor etc. Would just painting onontoexisting surface (after cleaning loose material and dust etc) <Broken link removed>be reasonably successful ? I don't need a perfect job.

Attachments

• Garage Floor.JPG
    Garage Floor.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 152
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'd just try and seal it with some PVA and paint on top. There are very expensive trade floor coverings but if it lasts a few years and you don't want a perfect job I bet it will be ok.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Professionals would surface grind and paint with 2 pack epoxy. Just had 1000 sq ft done £1200. Amazing job, worth the money having painted myself in the past.

• Nice One!
Reactions: GSD

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I used a concrete sealer on mine about 8 years ago and its still good

• Informative

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
empty all the crap out and sweep the floor. Scrape of obvious loose bits. Then pressure wash with a decent powerful pressure washer. Allow to dry thoroughly, sweep again and apply 2 part epoxy paint. Done properly it will last for years. A bonus is that it is waterproof so any spills just wipe up and a rinse with a hose will keep it spotless

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
If you’re just looking for a quick cover up I’d make sure all the exposed concrete is brushed with a PVA after making sure any loose bits are brushed out. Any ‘good’ paint should be sandpapered to make sure there’s a good key for the new paint to stick to or it will just flake off. Mine usually needs redone every 5-7 years which is fine by me!

As others have said....epoxy will last far longer but costs more!

• Informative
OP
OP
G

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Exp
10 years +
Thanks for all your replies. There is a strong view that epoxy paint is the best solution however I would appreciate some further guidance. I will have to do the floor in two parts i.e. move stuff to one side paint then move to other side. Assuming I clean everything very carefully and remove loose concrete will ordinary floor paint cover well and produce a reasonably flat surface (see my photo above) or will epoxy produce a better coverage on a less than ideal surface. Apart from challenges mixing the catalyst id epoxy any more difficult to apply ?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
The floor paint will only flatten your floor by overloading with paint and allowing it to dry which can take a while on an uninsulated concrete floor. The epoxy floor paint is much thicker and will also self level like any liquid, but dry much quicker, slump less, last longer and dry much much faster. I use it in old houses as a damp proof membrane when one is existing.

it is two pots when you buy it. One pot is a 5ltr container and the other is 2.5ltr. The 5ltr pot is only half full. You open both pots pour small into big, stir, and paint. Easy. ????

OP
OP
G

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Exp
10 years +
Presumably using epoxy I can mix a smaller quantity of the two parts at a time so long as the proportion is correct ?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It might be worth looking at the need for a mask to apply it if you use the epoxy. That being said I'm a big fan of epoxy resins for a lot of jobs.

• Thanks

chrisinplymouth

Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Plymouth UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2015
Depends how much you want to spend. I was in the same boat as you, did mine 15+ year’s ago and now very tatty. I had a spare tin of International heavy duty garage floor paint left over from the last time (15+ years), so opened the tin with some trepidation and after giving it a stir it looked ok.
So...... cleared one half of the garage into the other, swept it out and painted. Left it for a few days and did the other half. Looks lovely.... if it lasts a few years I’ll be happy. If you go down this route I believe Screwfix sell it. Hope this helps

chris

Oct 27, 2019
Fareham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Any floor paint and then when it's still wet throw over sharp sand. Sweep up the excess when it is dry.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
When I was working we used rubberized floor paint.All swept clean and loose bits removed.Then we watered first coat down with white spirit. Once dried. Then two cots of normal.Lasted years.I did my garage at home about 15 years ago. It's just about ready for doing again.

Aug 5, 2018
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Have you considered cheap (or expensive!) vinyl flooring....works a treat.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Just remember that “modern“ paints are very different to the old stuff that people are possibly mentioning in above posts. These days they contain no nasty stuff, and due to this often don’t work as well or last like they used too.

• Informative
OP
OP
G

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Exp
10 years +
Have you considered cheap (or expensive!) vinyl flooring....works a treat.
Somewhat unconventionally I actually use my garage for my car :confused:
Indeed it hasn't been out of the garage since 15 March !

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
I did mine about 10 years ago with some floor paint I bought in Lidls. The floor was getting very tatty in places but I just swept it, filled the worst depressions with mortar and painted it. It isn’t perfect but is 1000% better than it was. It would benefit from a refresh now, but only for the sake of appearance.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
I ran a 3000 sq ft commercial workshop for 25 years. During every winter shutdown, we’d empty the place and paint with chlorinated rubber paint. Virtually no prep needed apart from a good clean up... It’s single pack so easy to apply by roller, but it stinks a bit! Needs to be ventilated until it’s dry....

Hard wearing, we ran pallet trucks and the like over it, as well as welding and fabrication.....?

OP
OP
G

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Exp
10 years +
Thanks again for all your valued contributions.
A bit of an update. After much deliberation I decided to follow the advice of The Big One/Landy Andy. I have pressure washed the entire floor using the high pressure nozzle on my Karcher. It is amazing how much paint and loose concrete has come off but I decided not to take off all the paint just the bits that yielded fairly easily to the pressure. I have also repainted the inside walls in two coats of white masonry paint. I am waiting for epoxy resin paint to come from resincoat and then I will sweep out again and paint. I will post a picture of the final result (unless its a disaster !)

exupmonkey

Free Member
Apr 11, 2020
Dumbarton
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2011
Looking forward to seeing the results. Is it the High Build or water based epoxy you have gone for? I've got a new build garage floor to paint, I contacted Resincoat and they advised that water based would best suit my needs, i.e low foot fall, motorbikes and mountain bikes only etc. Not sure of the difference in terms of finished look though.

OP
OP
G

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Exp
10 years +
Looking forward to seeing the results. Is it the High Build or water based epoxy you have gone for? I've got a new build garage floor to paint, I contacted Resincoat and they advised that water based would best suit my needs, i.e low foot fall, motorbikes and mountain bikes only etc. Not sure of the difference in terms of finished look though.
It's high build. They suggested that I may need two coats but I am going to try one first and see how that goes. The paint has not been dispatched yet (ordered 20th) so it will be about two weeks before I will be posting anything.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back