Good battery charger for Generator (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Hi Folks

Can anyone recommend a good battery charger that I can run off a 1kw Honda generator? I have about 700-800w to play with, and would like to make the most use of it (without damaging the batteries). I have four 110ah batteries.

I have read very favourable reports on battery-to-battery, does anyone use such a device successfully from a Honda generator?

Whilst I want to charge well and fast, I don’t want something that is huge and bulky.
I have a Euramobil 745 (1994) and I presume the charger is very inefficient? It takes ages to charge my four batteries.

thanks
Rog

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi there

That would run a pretty good size charger.

My reccomendation would be a Sterling 20 A charger (you could use bigger if you really want to speed up the charging, 20% of Ah would be 88 Amp, btw you can mix and match sterling chargers ie use 2 x 30 amp chargers together on same battery bank)

The Sterling unit is not bothered by input power variations and can use anything from (80V – 300V) multi input frequency (40Hz – 400Hz) so no problem from genny or any worldwide power supply !

It is also designed to be used as a power supply to run your 12v systen when charging is complete.

George

Last edited by a moderator:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Rog

I would buy as GT suggests ( or bigger depending on how much you want to spend) and replace the existing charger/power supply unit, that way you get full use of your investment when on ehu.

Sizing and prices here

Sterling Chargers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: We used to run a Truecharge 40 from our 900W genny alongside of the TV and Satellite and the odd kettle of water. :winky:

OP
OP
RogerIvy
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
btw you can mix and match sterling chargers ie use 2 x 30 amp chargers together on same battery bank

Hmmm..., now you've got me thinking George!

2x20 amp chargers are £90 cheaper than 1x40 amp charger, and 600g lighter. Perhaps I'll go for a single 20 amp at £100 and if it doesn't cope I'll add a second.

thanks
Rog

J

jethro

Deleted User
sterling

hi. i've just been reading up on sterling charging systems these past few days and realise it's a 'must have'. could anyone point me in the direction of a vendor of these charging systems.
cheers....geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back