Any tips to stop motorbike and push-bike thieves? (1 Viewer)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I don’t see it that way, if it belongs to me don’t touch unless told to do so by me.
I’ve had my home burgled, my business robbed on more than one occasion, and vehicles stolen over the years, so you see I believe in justice if you catch them, and don’t think that for one second that they would not stick something in you to aid their getaway. ?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
THAT AT LEAST I WOULD HEAR THEM TRYING TO TAKE THE STUFF,
Buy 2 or 3 of these .work well use blank shot gun cartridges so you should be able to hear them.
https://www.henrykrank.com/cleaning-maintenance-storage/security/alarm-mine.html

Why not execute every prisoner in UK?
Why not indeed (y) :laughing: When the muppets set the prisons on fire they should just withdraw & let them burn or use powder or halon on the fire.
That makes you an even bigger criminal.

And other words I cannot say.
No, just normal.Not prepared to allow thieving scum to get away with it or those who are being paid to be doing what we appear to be having to do now ourselves.
If you are prepared to accept any type of thieving as "normal" it is no wonder the police won't do anything. If there was no insurance then many people would soon change their attitude.

Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Is this a bigger problem around this site or area? I am hoping the strike back loop will stop any attempt but time will tell. In my opinion the consequences for thieves is not harsh enough to deter them. Hope it gets sorted for you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
You could try setting up a perimeter trip wire around your bikes, there are several devices that might be at the end of the trip wire :giggle: but assuming you wouldn't actually want to do more then scare them away you might try an alarm like this one.

<Broken link removed>

OP
OP
Mick Kennedy
Mar 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
SWIFT KONTIKI 649
Exp
SINCE 1980
YES, I LIKE THE LOOK OF THAT GADGET. I'LL CHECK IT OUT, AND THE OTHER SCREAMERS MENTIONED. AS A FOOTNOTE FROM ME ON THIS ISSUE, I HAVE RE-LOCATED TO AN INDEPENDENT SITE IN CHESTER. SAD TO SAY, BUT RESIDENTS AT THE CAMP, PLUS THE POLICE THEMSELVES TOLD ME WE WERE ON A HIDING TO NOTHING BEING RIGHT NEXT TO THE DUFFYN ESTATE. I BET MOST OF THE FOLKS WHO LIVE THERE ARE NICE, BUT IT SEEMS THERE IS A ROTTEN SMALL PERCENTAGE WHICH GIVE THE PLACE A VERY BAD NAME. ANYWAY, I'M OUTTA THERE, NEVER TO RETURN.................MICK.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
When we got our german electric bikes, we were full timers, so no insurance the bikes are on a rack, we have a couple of abus locks and a strike back alarm, but even with the bike loop it's only a deterrent, strip the wire and twist and they are gone, many years ago when we did the motorhome shows, an old guy was there annoying everyone with these padlocks with an alarm built in, if tempered it goes off, I have one of those and often set it off trying to unlock it, another deterrent, ? but to be honest if someone wants something 9 times out of 10 they get it. ?
Yes, Bob I bought an alarm padlock from him too, but haven't yet used it in anger.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
This is where owning a dog comes in very handy. Either that or a shotgun (just kidding - or am I?)
I'm suprised that no-one has suggested sounding your horn continuously if you know that someone is outside your van up to no good. That's what I would do.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
1. Remove the battery of the e-bike when not in use
2. Secure bike to something solid, I use a dog screw on camp sites (Engine blocks can be bought from scrappy for a few quid)
3. Get a loop fitted to your van alarm system, it the loop is disconnected, the alarm sounds

OP
OP
Mick Kennedy
Mar 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
SWIFT KONTIKI 649
Exp
SINCE 1980
You could try setting up a perimeter trip wire around your bikes, there are several devices that might be at the end of the trip wire :giggle: but assuming you wouldn't actually want to do more then scare them away you might try an alarm like this one.

<Broken link removed>
My e-bike has the Bosch drive.
It has a built in tracker with its own battery that is charged by the big battery.
Move it a couple of foot and it texts you and shows in the app where it is., also shows all journeys on map
HMM, THAT SOUNDS INTERESTING. I'VE JUST BOUGHT A RALEIGH MOTUS TO REPLACE MY STOLEN BIKE AND THAT HAS A BOSCH MOTOR. WHERE DID YOU GET THIS TRACKING SYSTEM?

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
HMM, THAT SOUNDS INTERESTING. I'VE JUST BOUGHT A RALEIGH MOTUS TO REPLACE MY STOLEN BIKE AND THAT HAS A BOSCH MOTOR. WHERE DID YOU GET THIS TRACKING SYSTEM?

i had it fitted at Cambridge electric bike shop, it’s a powunity
image.jpg

OP
OP
Mick Kennedy
Mar 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
SWIFT KONTIKI 649
Exp
SINCE 1980
GREAT! THANKS FOR THAT, DULVIL. I'VE NOW HAD PADEYES WELDED ONTO MY CHASSIS AND HAVE A SCREAMER LOCK ON THE BIKE, PLUS A MONSTER LOCK HOLDING IT TO THE VAN, PLUS I'VE REMOVED THE FRONT WHEEL FROM THE E-BIKE. THE INSURANCE COMPANY HAVE COME BACK AND SAID THEY ARE WRITING MY SCOOTER OFF. IT COST ME 3500 QUID IN DECEMBER AND THEY WILL PAY OUT 3250 ''CURRENT VALUE'' LESS 700 QUID EXCESS, SO NOW IT IS LOOKING FOR ANOTHER SCOOTER. I'LL INVESTIGATE THESE POWUNITY UNITS AND PROBABLY PUT ONE ON THE SCOOTER AND THE E-BIKE. MICK.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I admit I haven’t read all above, but have you considered buying your scooter back?

Thats what I did when the wife’s was stolen many years ago. Got it for next to nothing, spent a few hours and a hundred quid on it and we continued to use it for many years before selling it on. Do you need a “mint” scooter, or just a scooter?

OP
OP
Mick Kennedy
Mar 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
SWIFT KONTIKI 649
Exp
SINCE 1980
WHAT A COINCIDENCE - YOUR MESSAGE CAME IN AS I WAS WRITING TO THE INSURANCE COMPANY ASKING THEM FOR A BUY-BACK VALUE! I HAVE ALSO ASKED THEM TO SEND ME THE ASSESSOR'S DAMAGE REPORT SO I CAN GET A QUOTE ON THE REPAIR. YOUR COMMENTS HAVE ENCOURAGED ME THAT I'M ON THE RIGHT TRACK - THANKS.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
WHAT A COINCIDENCE - YOUR MESSAGE CAME IN AS I WAS WRITING TO THE INSURANCE COMPANY ASKING THEM FOR A BUY-BACK VALUE! I HAVE ALSO ASKED THEM TO SEND ME THE ASSESSOR'S DAMAGE REPORT SO I CAN GET A QUOTE ON THE REPAIR. YOUR COMMENTS HAVE ENCOURAGED ME THAT I'M ON THE RIGHT TRACK - THANKS.
Turn caps lock off mate.. Please.

OP
OP
Mick Kennedy
Mar 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
SWIFT KONTIKI 649
Exp
SINCE 1980
Why is that, Les? Is it against some ''rule'' I'm unaware of?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If thieves are determined they will take it regardless.
I had my BMW GS1200 Adventure stolen (which I won last November), on the night of 29th February. It was locked in my garage which is at the bottom of my back garden, at the bottom of our drive (10 metres). They dragged my wifes car back from the 2 metre high wooden gates, then climbed over and cut the padlock off. They then broke the lock on the up and over garage door and must have then carried the bike out. It had an alarm and immobiliser! This was in the early hours of the morning and pouring with rain and we never heard a thing! Called the police next morning who gave me a crime number and closed the case. Bike value £12500. Still waiting for the insurance company to pay out.

My son had his road bike stolen. It was in a metal shed and multiple locked onto a ground staple set into a huge block of concrete (over a tonne in weight). The police said a crane (from the building site adjacent) was used to lift the shed out of the way and the bike (complete with staple and concrete block) was also taken.

The bike looked more expensive than it was and had been hard used. It was insured. The loss adjuster took one look at the crime scene and couldn't believe anyone would go to such lengths to steal a bike worth less than £1000. Son replaced that bike with a more expensive one that looked like it came from a recycling centre (custom paint job) - and carried it up and down to a third floor flat at least once a day.

He said the worst part of the experience was that someone had been watching him and came all tooled up just to take the bike.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
My son had his road bike stolen. It was in a metal shed and multiple locked onto a ground staple set into a huge block of concrete (over a tonne in weight). The police said a crane (from the building site adjacent) was used to lift the shed out of the way and the bike (complete with staple and concrete block) was also taken.

The bike looked more expensive than it was and had been hard used. It was insured. The loss adjuster took one look at the crime scene and couldn't believe anyone would go to such lengths to steal a bike worth less than £1000. Son replaced that bike with a more expensive one that looked like it came from a recycling centre (custom paint job) - and carried it up and down to a third floor flat at least once a day.

He said the worst part of the experience was that someone had been watching him and came all tooled up just to take the bike.
I know how he feels. They must have followed me or staked out our property. In hindsight it's probably a good thing I never heard them as I would have been out there with what ever I could lay my hands on and would probably come off worse, as they were clearly well tooled up!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I would put the theft in the OP down to not being aware of the area and like all of us, letting the guard down and chilling in the van. As I mentioned previously, the site at Tredegar house is lovely in the grounds of a National trust property. However on one side is the M4 motorway junction which does make some background noise. Then on the other a very rough estate, which the local police treat with caution. There is nothing for the estate kids to do, especially at night, so they spend a lot of time round the local Asda and on the Tredegar house park. They are always looking for the next way to make a couple of quid and frequently pinch anything not nailed down.
The caravan club wardens try hard to keep them out of the campsite, but it is an endless battle. The club tell them to take a gentle approach to the problem, as experience has shown it works best. Sadly this means the occasional theft from the site happens and they basically do nothing about it

We used to spend about 26 weeks a year on that site, whilst caring for elderly relatives, so know as much about it as our main home. Being on first name terms with the regular wardens and the park rangers really helped, as we were tipped off if anything was kicking off and any events on the park.

SD j

Free Member
May 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin supreme
Exp
Since 2000
I chain our ebikes to the Towbar with the best chain I could afford, still makes me nervous leaving it alone though.
This thread made me think , if most thefts take place in the dark then why does no one make a PIR security light which could be mounted on the van roof say above the Towbar at the rear ?
Do bright lights deter the tea leafs these days ?

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Sorry to hear your problems. If claiming for the e-bike be careful what you say, bikes are normally only covered if locked to an imovable object.

Always keep our e-bikes in the Motorhome garage I would never leave them out overnight.

From people I've met theft from sites appears to be much more common than Aires & wild camping.

Agree keep them in a motorhome locked garage if you have that option. However a couple of, I thought, interesting bits of info from my own insurance company - who also cover our house insurance.
1. if over £500 per bike they need to be a 'specified' item - and charged as much
2. Each bike has to be locked to an 'immovable' object
3. You cannot piggy back one bike to another as that does not count, only the bike that is is covered
4. Strange as it sounds bikes in a motorhome garage need to also be locked to an immovable object even if the garage is locked and alarmed
5. There is some wriggle room by the insurance company about the validity of locking bikes to a rear bike rack as they can be easily unscrewed!
6. As somebody else mentioned always remove the battery of an e-bike

Finally if they are determined on stealing the bike there is not much you can do to stop it - I would not want to confront 1 let alone 6! We just make sure we are well insured and take the hit. We have toured cities throughout Europe on our bikes and, 'touch an immovable wooden object' we have been okay so far.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
I chain our ebikes to the Towbar with the best chain I could afford, still makes me nervous leaving it alone though.
This thread made me think , if most thefts take place in the dark then why does no one make a PIR security light which could be mounted on the van roof say above the Towbar at the rear ?
one of these-
Amazon product ASIN B077GW7QWY
and these-

Amazon product ASIN B07RDK7Z3C
with a little bit of velcro on the front or back of van to mount the light should hopefully make them think twice.

Graydo

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
In case above link does not work search Amazon for kinoee bicycle alarm and lofter motion sensing light.

Graydo

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Sussex, not Surrey.

If the Police aren't going in to a "Traveller camp" or "the nearest council estate" with stab vests, tasers and whatever, I'm sure as hell not!! That was what I was getting at, we all know where things are likely to be.
The last policeman to go near a travellers camp looking for a stolen quad bike got dragged for a mile and killed, would you do it? I wouldn’t, not unless I went in with a full TAG (Tactical Aid Group) team and dogs. The TAG were known as the animal squad in GMP all brawn and no brains.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along

Nope just helps them to see and make what they are doing easier :(

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We leave a vicious hound in charge and no one has ever touched our bikes, we have noticed a few laughing though. She answers to either Yoda or Juglugs.

View attachment 402465
Bloody hell ..... is she ever going to grow into those ears ............. :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back