Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Any thoughts on the best AA rechargeable batteries and the best place to buy them from please. For a digital camera.
Thanks.
Eileen

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Any thoughts on the best AA rechargeable batteries and the best place to buy them from please. For a digital camera.
Thanks.
Eileen

I,ve had a few digital camera's over the years and each one did not recommend the use of rechargeable batteries.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Rechargeables in a camera will not last nearly long enough, and has been said, will take ages to power up the flash.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Any thoughts on the best AA rechargeable batteries
Eileen

There are some strange replies to this.

Just what do you mean by "AA rechargeables" ?

I've never used anything except NiMH rechargeables and they work a treat.

I'm wondering if people are talking about those odd dry cell type rechargeables.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Rechargeables in a camera will not last nearly long enough, and has been said, will take ages to power up the flash.

Surprising - my digi-cam was supplied with rechargeable AA batteries and the associated charger. Works absolutely fine for me. Have had the camera for a year or two and the batteries appear to have adequate umph... and last for hundreds of shots between charges. Perhaps, a few less if constantly using the flash.

OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
There are some strange replies to this.

Just what do you mean by "AA rechargeables" ?

I've never used anything except NiMH rechargeables and they work a treat.

I'm wondering if people are talking about those odd dry cell type rechargeables.

Yes size AA NiMH rechargeables
Always used them with no problems but some have a poor rating in the reviews so wanted to know any recommendations or thoughts on the new type of "ready use" ones on the market

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi Eileen
I agree with Brian on this, rechargeable batteries work fine in cameras. The batteries I find best are the Maha MHRAA – 24 which are available from http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/batteries-and-chargers/?page=3 at £12.95. OK not the cheapest but they do hold their charge when not being used, which is more than dedicated batteries usually do. I have been using these batteries for quite a while in my land and underwater cameras as well as an LED underwater torch. I know Maplin also do a similar battery as I am sure others do. I prefer any new kit to use this type of batteries as they are easily replaceable unlike the dedicated ones which always pack up and leave you with some useless gear.
Mike

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
My camera (Kodak) came as new with rechargeable batteries and there is a charging port on camera plus when its connected to its printer the batteries get auto charged.

So it would seem that even though it can run on ordinary non rechargeable batteries it also designed to run on rechargeable's.

As to the speed of recharging the flash, when my camera is set to "anti red eye" the camera flashes twice with a fraction of a second between flashes

Doug...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Like Doug, we got a Kodak camera some years ago which came with a rechargeable battery pack. The batteries themselves went wrong some time ago and I've since used Uniross 1300 mAh rechargeable ones in it.

Jill uses AA NiMH batteries in her Minolta camera but more powerful ones (2200 mAh if memory serves without looking). There are quite a few 2450 mAh & 3000 mAh batteries on eBay.

IrasciBill

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 500
Exp
Since 2009 (after many years camping)
Re-chargeable Batteries

Have always used NiMH rechargeables and have had great service from them. (apart from an odd occasion when they have gone flat after going through a security scanner - although some people deny that this can happen)

My cameras are Fuji and they specifically say that NiCd should not be used - heat generated during discharge can apparently cause problems.

Most batteries I use, and I have about 10 sets of 4, are from 7 Day Shop and are charged with their 1hr charger not had any problems in 10 years of regular use.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Yes size AA NiMH rechargeables

I can't remember when I last bought any. so not much help. They were probably off ebay.

I would not go for the very highest capacity on offer, the reason, batteries are made in layers, more layers more capacity but if you push the limit the layers will be so thin they might not be as reliable. I've 2300mAh here that work well.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
My Cannon camera from Comet came with re chargeble ones in and I bought an additional two plus charger, That must be four years ago and they still give good service.

They are Energizer and are silver, green and black.

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Go to Maplins ask them for the highest rated 'AA' sixe rechargeable batteries with the correct charger-don't use any old charger, tell them what they are for.
Nothing wrong with rechargeable batteries in a camera, unless you are professional, a high spec battery should be able to do the job.:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
The longest lasting conventional batteries on a test basis - actually turned out to be Aldi - which outlasted Duracell!

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Surprising - my digi-cam was supplied with rechargeable AA batteries and the associated charger. Works absolutely fine for me. Have had the camera for a year or two and the batteries appear to have adequate umph... and last for hundreds of shots between charges. Perhaps, a few less if constantly using the flash.

Mrs. JayDee gave me a Nikon Coolpix for Christmas 2009 and it came with a couple of Duracell AA batteries to tide me over and a battery charger for the rechargeables of my choice.
This year I was given a set of 4 x 2700mAh x AA NiMH made by Uniross. They last 7 times longer!! :whatthe: (it's only when you read the really, really small print that it says 7 times longer than Alkalines - no mention of whose) and apparently will take 280 shots. They were bought on Amazon for about £7 and seem to be doing well.

John

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I have several sets made by various manufacturers some expensive, and to be honest the cheapo Aldi ones are right up there with the best and a quarter of the prices.

The blue ones are the highest rated, yellow a bit less I've both and will replace the other brands with Aldi's as needed. :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks for all the good feed back, obviously I was too quick to judge... :Blush:

I've only every tried them once in an Olympus camera and that was a few years ago, .... perhaps I had nicked the wrong type .... :roflmto:

Note to self

Let others put their foot in it first ..

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Thanks for all the good feed back, obviously I was too quick to judge... :Blush:

I've only every tried them once in an Olympus camera and that was a few years ago, .... perhaps I had nicked the wrong type .... :roflmto:

Note to self

Let others put their foot in it first ..

Ah! but its such a pretty foot, just love the pink nail varnish.

Doug...

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Was it Aldi? I thought it was Lidl.

Yes it was......I couldn't remember which one it was! lol! I was sure it was Aldi - but since you have said it - It was Lidl!

I must be approaching that age - that or the in-law is having an effect on my brain.When she starts making sense I will book myself into a clinic!:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back