Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
You will have to excuse us ----we are dinosaurs--------but--------
we switched or TV to 720 ?HD1 (don't know how) since then the picture has been much better !!! Can someone tell us what those No's mean ?:Doh: Would it make a difference to the quality of the picture ??
Thanks
Nigel & Pamala

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You will have to excuse us ----we are dinosaurs--------but--------
we switched or TV to 720 ?HD1 (don't know how) since then the picture has been much better !!! Can someone tell us what those No's mean ?:Doh: Would it make a difference to the quality of the picture ??
Thanks
Nigel & Pamala

The display is 720 pixels across, which is the lowest HD definition. The better one is something like 1080. Note how poor they are compared to your computer monitor.

We've got a 720, it's perfectly adequate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
The display is 720 pixels across, which is the lowest HD definition. The better one is something like 1080. Note how poor they are compared to your computer monitor.

We've got a 720, it's perfectly adequate.

Thanks for your help (and jj)

I understand what you are saying---but---the picture was breaking up and often going completely, not just less sharp. I see 1080 as an option, so should we try to get that ? ! ? !
We were happy with 405 lines, so not obsessed with 'good' picture quality !!:Sad::Smile:
Nigel

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Generally speaking there are four modes of HD TV picture, these are in order lowest quality to highest:

720i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p.

The "i" stands for interlaced and means that the horizontal lines of the picture are scanned in an interlaced fashion so lines 1,3,5,7,9 etc first then the even Nos.

The "p" stands for progressive scan and means that the horizontal lines are scanned 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 etc.

In interlaced mode you get every other line of the picture scanned 25 times a second, in progressive you get the whole picture scanned 50 times a second which sounds like the same thing but progressive is better.

You may well find that the picture quality is better when using a HDMI connection to your set top box or sat receiver even when viewing a non HD channel, our TV gives a marked improvement using the HD connection than Scart.

D.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have a full HD TV, and a Blueray DVD. Even "ordinary" DVD's are of a better quality. 1080p rocks:Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks for your help (and jj)

I understand what you are saying---but---the picture was breaking up and often going completely, not just less sharp. I see 1080 as an option, so should we try to get that ? ! ? !
We were happy with 405 lines, so not obsessed with 'good' picture quality !!:Sad::Smile:
Nigel

Start from the beginning.

You have a TV - do you have the spec or model number of that.

Then what are you trying to view - DVD or Freeview or Freesat.

Then what is the cable connecting the two, normal big rectangular SCART or the newer thin HDMI with flat cable.

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Start from the beginning.

You have a TV - do you have the spec or model number of that.

Then what are you trying to view - DVD or Freeview or Freesat.

Then what is the cable connecting the two, normal big rectangular SCART or the newer thin HDMI with flat cable.

Take it easy on me---this is all foreign to me !!!:Doh:
Yes we have a TV (that one was easy)----it's a big Toshiba digital--it's fixed to the wall so I can't see any info on the back----It' a US set with a freeview digi-box that takes the UK signal and makes it suit the TV-- The cable is HDMI plus there is a red and a white plug (I can see these in the back of the digi-box) With a mirror, I can see these going into the back of the TV (I think)
Nigel
I am sure we have a book on the TV-----Just need to find it:Doh:

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Generally speaking there are four modes of HD TV picture, these are in order lowest quality to highest:

720i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p.

The "i" stands for interlaced and means that the horizontal lines of the picture are scanned in an interlaced fashion so lines 1,3,5,7,9 etc first then the even Nos.

The "p" stands for progressive scan and means that the horizontal lines are scanned 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 etc.

In interlaced mode you get every other line of the picture scanned 25 times a second, in progressive you get the whole picture scanned 50 times a second.

D.

Thanks for that explanation!! -- I have not noticed the option of ''I'' or ''P'' but I have seen 1080
Nigel

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
:thumb::thumb:I think it's best if we leave it as it is------and have a chat over a beer at a meet, and play with the TV:thumb::thumb:
Nigel

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None

I would have thought that if your pictures / channels are breaking up and going, then that will be a reception issue, and nothing to do with HD resolutions.
Going to a higher resolution will not be able to help the with reception issues.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I concur:thumb:
That symptom often call pixalating is due to either dish movement ,bad weather etc as Satman said poor reception:RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back