South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Hi

I was wondering if I can pick some brains re the following;

We are planning on upgrading our motorhome this year and are in a bit of a pickle. You know when you decide what you are going to do then you talk yourself out of it and then back into it again, then you look at each other and don't know what to do?.... Well we are at the 'don't know what to do' stage - again!

We found the 'perfect' motorhome for us it is a Chausson Garage Suite sleeps 6/7 Low profile. The drawback with this is it is a new model and isn't out until Mayish and will be 'new price' so to wait for a used one could be like waiting for the cows to come home.

After searching again for an alternative 'perfect' one, we have come across a Ci 707 over cab 7 berth. On looking around for one of these, the ones available are mainly 100bhp at around £10,000 less than the Chausson but hubby isn't interested in because of bhp (thats not my department). There is one online at 130bhp I think, but then there is only a small difference in price to the Chausson.

I prefer the Chausson personally.

But what I would like to know is do you think the residuals will be more long term on the Low Profile rather than the Over Cab due to the mpg difference. I know that there isn't much in it, well on what i've found it doesn't seem much but I was thinking that if price of fuel does keep on increasing then people may look more favourably on a low profile? Is it worth paying the extra for the low profile?

Any opinions/advice would be great to hear, thanks :thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

Have a chat to Caravannes Rapido, Wokingham, they are a new Chausson Dealer with an excellent reputation and should be able to answer all you questions. 01889-979-1023.

Ask for Paul or Martin

Peter

A

Addie

Deleted User
I don't think residuals are directly effected by the comparison drawn between MPG and a low profile motor home or not as I think they are aimed at different markets.

What I would say is that the Chausson Garage Suite with it's island kitchen is probably very unique and maybe a little niche in that respect and may have a bigger impact on residuals in that way. Also it is not truly a 'lowline' as it is still quite high (see a CI 694 for comparison).

There is a brand new unregistered 707 with the 2.3 (130bhp) engine on eBay for £33k
Link Removed

While CI are a 'budget' brand, we had a CI 694 (also 2.3) and loved it, the build and quality was fantastic and I would say that this is just standard build quality we're used to having it's just that suddenly there are lot more luxury brands (Burstner Ixeo for example) to compare it to.

I'd still expect to see circa 30MPG - especially with the cruise control.

You'll be looking at least another £10k for the Chausson (which will probably depreciate faster as well) so you'll have to decide if you like it THAT much :)

Best of luck in whatever you decide!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
I don't think residuals are directly effected by the comparison drawn between MPG and a low profile motor home or not as I think they are aimed at different markets.

What I would say is that the Chausson Garage Suite with it's island kitchen is probably very unique and maybe a little niche in that respect and may have a bigger impact on residuals in that way. Also it is not truly a 'lowline' as it is still quite high (see a CI 694 for comparison).

There is a brand new unregistered 707 with the 2.3 (130bhp) engine on eBay for £33k
Link Removed

Best of luck in whatever you decide!

Well...I don't know how I missed that! It was past midnight when I went to bed last night trawling through tinternet. Thanks very much, best bit is we are only down the road from Bradford!!

I think I will always prefer the Chausson, hubby will always prefer the less £10K :ROFLMAO: I am trying to find a way to persuade him you see!

Cheers

A

Addie

Deleted User
I think the garage suite is very marmite (love it or hate it) and from a residual perspective the CI would be a much better bet.

CI's are always in demand, we ran out 694 for 12mts/10,000 miles and actually made a small profit when we came to sell it (admittedly we bought it 12mts old not new).

I'm sure you can find other ways to spend the £10k!

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
low Profile v Overcab

Your debate is obviously a question of personal taste /practicality - for me it would always be low profile for the drivability in cross winds and better mpg.and a more pleasing shape. Have you tried caravanfinder.com there is always a massive selection in there of motorhomes - i just glanced at it for your model there are at least 4-5 dealers marketing the Chausson (use your persuasive charms on him) All the best Alan

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi

I was wondering if I can pick some brains re the following;

We are planning on upgrading our motorhome this year and are in a bit of a pickle. You know when you decide what you are going to do then you talk yourself out of it and then back into it again, then you look at each other and don't know what to do?.... Well we are at the 'don't know what to do' stage - again!

We found the 'perfect' motorhome for us it is a Chausson Garage Suite sleeps 6/7 Low profile. The drawback with this is it is a new model and isn't out until Mayish and will be 'new price' so to wait for a used one could be like waiting for the cows to come home.

After searching again for an alternative 'perfect' one, we have come across a Ci 707 over cab 7 berth. On looking around for one of these, the ones available are mainly 100bhp at around £10,000 less than the Chausson but hubby isn't interested in because of bhp (thats not my department). There is one online at 130bhp I think, but then there is only a small difference in price to the Chausson.

I prefer the Chausson personally.

But what I would like to know is do you think the residuals will be more long term on the Low Profile rather than the Over Cab due to the mpg difference. I know that there isn't much in it, well on what i've found it doesn't seem much but I was thinking that if price of fuel does keep on increasing then people may look more favourably on a low profile? Is it worth paying the extra for the low profile?

Any opinions/advice would be great to hear, thanks :thumb:
Hi Brodie
I have looked at the Garage Suite on line, looks very nice and good value:thumb:, I love the drop down bed idea, but according to what I read it sleeps 5, Its the same dimentions as my Welcome 76 which is 3 bed and does not have the drop down bed, but quite a lot different lay out, I had a Bessacarr Overbed before , The low line with the wider rear track is so much superior on the road as far as road holding and general performance.I will have a look at the suite when on release. Pete :thumb:

OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Hi Brodie
I have looked at the Garage Suite on line, looks very nice and good value:thumb:, I love the drop down bed idea, but according to what I read it sleeps 5, Its the same dimentions as my Welcome 76 which is 3 bed and does not have the drop down bed, but quite a lot different lay out, I had a Bessacarr Overbed before , The low line with the wider rear track is so much superior on the road as far as road holding and general performance.I will have a look at the suite when on release. Pete :thumb:

Hi

You can 'buy as an extra' a piece to make it into a 7 berth on the bottom.

There are only 5 of us but with 3 being kids and kids having the preverbial 'rubbish' we could do with the extra lounge space and prob wouldn't need the extra bed!

Is there a definate difference in handling performance?

Thanks

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi

You can 'buy as an extra' a piece to make it into a 7 berth on the bottom.

There are only 5 of us but with 3 being kids and kids having the preverbial 'rubbish' we could do with the extra lounge space and prob wouldn't need the extra bed!

Is there a definate difference in handling performance?

Thanks
Hi Brodie
Yes excellent drive, with the new 6 speed box, new 2.3 engine and the wide track to the rear, I didn't read the bit about the extra bed, how does that work ?, Have a test drive in a new lowline and you will see what I mean about handling and road holding. Pete :thumb::thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Does any one like this luton? Looks a bit fishy to me::bigsmile:

Attachments

• fishluton.jpg
    fishluton.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Hi Brodie
Yes excellent drive, with the new 6 speed box, new 2.3 engine and the wide track to the rear, I didn't read the bit about the extra bed, how does that work ?, Have a test drive in a new lowline and you will see what I mean about handling and road holding. Pete :thumb::thumb:

Hi Pete

http://www.chausson.tm.fr/image/vehicule/s-garage_uk.pdf

Hope i've done that right. The salesguy didn't point this out when we looked at it at the NEC I noticed the * the other day when looking at it again.

I mean it wouldn't bother me not having those bits as I said we only need 5 sleeping areas anyway, but it is a bit of a swizz buying extra bits when it is that price!

How much better fuel consumption would you expect to achieve on yours over an overcab?

A few posts back I thought yes the 707 and now i'm back on the Chausson :cry:

But as Addie has pointed out £10/12 k is a big difference, is it worth it for a better MPG/better ride/looks slicker/ etc etc :ROFLMAO:

With 3 kids in mind and mortgage to pay etc this would mean alot of hols for the kids with money that would be tied up on a motorhome which we could look to upgrade to in a couple of years maybe?

I am sorry to be doing my thinking outloud if you know what I mean, :Eeek: it's just this is the only way you get real answers as none of our friends/family have motorhomes and as you have a low profile will be able to answer these questions for us !

Ta very muchly :Smile:

Last edited:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Pete

http://www.chausson.tm.fr/image/vehicule/s-garage_uk.pdf

Hope i've done that right. The salesguy didn't point this out when we looked at it at the NEC I noticed the * the other day when looking at it again.

I mean it wouldn't bother me not having those bits as I said we only need 5 sleeping areas anyway, but it is a bit of a swizz buying extra bits when it is that price!

How much better fuel consumption would you expect to achieve on yours over an overcab?

A few posts back I thought yes the 707 and now i'm back on the Chausson :cry:

But as Addie has pointed out £10/12 k is a big difference, is it worth it for a better MPG/better ride/looks slicker/ etc etc :ROFLMAO:

With 3 kids in mind and mortgage to pay etc this would mean alot of hols for the kids with money that would be tied up on a motorhome which we could look to upgrade to in a couple of years maybe?

I am sorry to be doing my thinking outloud if you know what I mean, :Eeek: it's just this is the only way you get real answers as none of our friends/family have motorhomes and as you have a low profile will be able to answer these questions for us !

Ta very muchly :Smile:
Hi Brodie
I cant say I notice a great difference in MPG, But it feels so much safer on the road than the coach built, crosswinds, bends, roundabouts all feel a lot better, It is also a lot quieter, my mate has had a coach built and an A class he says the same the newer low lines are a better all round drive, we of caurse are in a different situation to yourself as our 2 have long since gone their own way, also the fixed rear bed is an improvement to the overcab (seeing as how I feel off and broke my heel NO not drunk it was the alarm fortunately it was a false alarm lol ) I hope you are pleased with what ever you buy. pete :thumb:

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
hi brodie
i bought a new ci 705 overcab after spending a while looking at options. the handling was not what i expected or the driveability/power
however handling fit airrides now exceptional in comparison for a bulky van
power/driveability remap better power less gearchanges better mpg when comparitive driveing.
thats less than £1000 on upgrades and i now feel better than standard lowline.
anougher option maybe ??
hope my experience helps

ppsontour

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
north kent
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi Brodie

We are new to this forum and had to reply to you..... We have been looking to change our caravan to a motor home and looked around for about a year. We too liked the low profile and at first really liked the Adria Matrix 680sp until we saw Chausson Suite Garage at the Birmingham show in October. We fell for the island kitchen layout - it feels really homely. Anyway we are expecting delivery in March (fingers crossed) and hope we have chosen well - if you haven't decided by then we'll let you know what we think of it.
The other reason we had to reply to you is we have a 16 year old daughter called Brodie !!!!!!!!!

Kevin & Jane

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back