cleaning an awning (1 Viewer)

betterthenatent

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Funster No
Exp
first year
Hi. I know it was silly but when we bought our motorhome at the end of last summer we didn't check the awning. We opened it out briefly afterwards on a site but it was late and a bit wet. So it was only a quick inspection. We were a bit surprised by the condition of the fabric as generally the van is in really good condition. What I couldn't make up my mind about because of the failing light was weather the marks were dirt or mildew. Now I have a plan, what I thought I would do Is take the whole roll out awning off the van, open it out on the garden deck and if it is dirt pressure wash It. But what if it is mildew. Can you get replacement fabric for Flamia awnings, or am I going to have to put up with other campers seeing my stained awning.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you could try a proprietary awning cleaner on it.

mix the solution and wash the awning....top and underneath.
wind it in when still wet and leave for an hour or two to soak.
leaving it open will just dry it out before the solution has chance to work.

wind it back out and wash with clean water then leave open to dry fully.

it sounds like it was put away when wet and not opened and dried as soon as possible.

removing it could be more difficult than its worth.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
PappaJohn says it all, we have some tent cleaner, but I cant find it:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Be careful with using a pressure washer, a decent one will make a hole in the fabric if you're too close (and it'll probably still be dirty) I have done it.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you live anywhere near a haulage yard nip in with a pop bottle and ask them to sell you a bit of the stuff they use to clean curtainsided trailers.
Better than all the awning cleaners put together.
Chances are they will give you as much as what you will need.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi. I know it was silly but when we bought our motorhome at the end of last summer we didn't check the awning. We opened it out briefly afterwards on a site but it was late and a bit wet. So it was only a quick inspection. We were a bit surprised by the condition of the fabric as generally the van is in really good condition. What I couldn't make up my mind about because of the failing light was weather the marks were dirt or mildew. Now I have a plan, what I thought I would do Is take the whole roll out awning off the van, open it out on the garden deck and if it is dirt pressure wash It. But what if it is mildew. Can you get replacement fabric for Flamia awnings, or am I going to have to put up with other campers seeing my stained awning.

Hi...over here in France we have the awnings fitted to the house and also also free standing twin awnings.....and after the winter, when we start to un-roll for the spring / summer, 99% of the time the first 12" to 18" is green / Blackish spots.......Now I have tried most things over here in France for mildew ..mould.... what a waste of money and time ............but when we lived in England and had properties that we rented out 90% of the tenants did not respect your property....and showers cubicles due to them not cleaning and wiping them down would get this black spots around the joints mildew........so I used to supply a product to them (once a week just a spray) which solved the problem.....Dettox mould and Mildew ..it is in a lime green spray bottle not expensive BUT IT WORKS........so before you replace your fabric, as the long as the fabric is not damaged and needs replacing, try it for just over or under £1.00....NOT other makes like Aston--- or cilit bung I have tried them !???? no,

Try a little corner or spot first.

Then after you can use it on your shower........this product really works...don't forget it has bleach in it so don't leave it on the fabric toooooooo long wash off afterwards and it may fade your fabric a little,
This is a product I always use over here in France and what I used in England for many years:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Mel:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
A tip I found on an American RV forum and it also works extremely well..

A bucket of warm water, a good squirt of washing up liquid and a cup of bleach ..

As per papajohn's method .. scrub both sides, roll back up, leave for about half an hour, roll out, hose off and leave to dry ..

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
WELL betterthenatent After all these replies you do know.....YOU....... are going to have the clean-ist AWNING ON SITE:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Cool

Mel:thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Get yourself a bottle of "STAR BRITTE RV AWNING CLEANER" this stuff is magic. A previous owner of my MH greased the Awning steady bars, which left unsightly smears on the material, this stuff cleaned it off and the mould etc as well. one word of warning though, make sure you have some sort of eye protection, it stings like hell!

dianne

Free Member
May 11, 2011
Alberta, Alabama
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Here's more! ::bigsmile:

Use a hose end sprayer and get some type of liquid soap. They make a special RV soap from Walmart. Wash it down with the hose and soap. Then get a long handle scrub brush. Like the ones to clean a deck from Home Depot and scrub the awning and then with fresh water from hose rinse it all down. Good luck! :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back