Toad Advice please.... (1 Viewer)

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hi all, I know I'm a bit scarce these days (some would say GOOD!!) :Smile: but still read a bit on the forum as time allows.....

Hoping to wake my sleeping Adria up from under the layers of green algae etc in the spring and join up for a few meets etc again.....just looking for some advice about toads...

Those who know us know we have a little Smart Fortwo on A frame (and also a Brian James A Max trailer for micro cars which we really need to sell!!) but its a bit small for us really and as we have a decent little Mercedes A Class (an A160) runabout, I was wondering about the feasibility of putting this on an A frame........to tow behind the Adria Vision - at the risk of starting another flame war, :ROFLMAO: advice please (and no, I don't want to know if A frames are legal or not!!!!! ) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

nice to see you posting again :Smile:

I just had a look on the CarAtow site and they list one for the Merc A class ..

Link Removed

I had a CarAtow on a Fiat and was very please with it, easy to use single handed and well constructed ..

hth

jim

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Nice to speak again Jim.....hopefully will be around a bit more than I have been these past two years!!!

Thanks for that link - what do you think about the weight of the Merc A Class behind the Adria? Shouldn't be a problem, should it? I've got a Towtal set up on the Smart, thought I might remove it and have it refitted to the Merc......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm not very clued up on weights and how to check.. but as I understand it ..

To check if it is within the towing weight of the motorhome, look on the data plate of the motorhome for the maximum train weight .. then subtract the gross vehicle weight .. GVW or sometimes called maximum authorised weight or MAM . This gives you the max towing weight .. then check the GVW of the Merc

For Example

MAM of motorhome 3,500kg
Max Train weight 4,500kg
Towing limit = Train minus MAM = 1,000kg

as I said, I'm not an authority on this so hopefully someone else may explain better ..

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Ah, yes, cobwebs are clearing now......that jolts the memory. Thanks Jim. Will check it out. Just trying to cut down on numbers of cars at home as well as have a bit more room in a toad for two plus dog as I have a company car arriving on Friday........
Sold the Rangie before Xmas and really need to sell the Brian James Trailer, that will free up some much-needed room!!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Ah, yes, cobwebs are clearing now......that jolts the memory. Thanks Jim. Will check it out. Just trying to cut down on numbers of cars at home as well as have a bit more room in a toad for two plus dog as I have a company car arriving on Friday........
Sold the Rangie before Xmas and really need to sell the Brian James Trailer, that will free up some much-needed room!!!

If interested, I run a care home for unwanted, unloved cars and campervans .. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Having given up the full time lifestyle we sold the RV, so for the present are 'vanless' :Sad:
Now living the life of the country bumpkin in Suffolk .. and have joined the ranks of the mh wannabees :roflmto:

good luck with the sales .. :thumb:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I'm not very clued up on weights and how to check.. but as I understand it ..

To check if it is within the towing weight of the motorhome, look on the data plate of the motorhome for the maximum train weight .. then subtract the gross vehicle weight .. GVW or sometimes called maximum authorised weight or MAM . This gives you the max towing weight .. then check the GVW of the Merc

For Example

MAM of motorhome 3,500kg
Max Train weight 4,500kg
Towing limit = Train minus MAM = 1,000kg

as I said, I'm not an authority on this so hopefully someone else may explain better ..

Not quite Jim close and if you stuck to that you wouldn't break the law.

To use your figures the max train weight of 4,500kg could be arrived at with your prime mover not being at it's maximum weight, so if the prime mover only weighs 3,000kg fully loaded Ie 500kg less than it's allowable weight then you could tow a trailer of 1,500kg, this of course would also require a B+E licence.

Hope this helps.

Rick.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not quite Jim close and if you stuck to that you wouldn't break the law.

To use your figures the max train weight of 4,500kg could be arrived at with your prime mover not being at it's maximum weight, so if the prime mover only weighs 3,000kg fully loaded Ie 500kg less than it's allowable weight then you could tow a trailer of 1,500kg, this of course would also require a B+E licence.

Hope this helps.

Rick.

Cheers Rick.. I knew you would be along to clarify .. :thumb:

I assumed a van laden to the MAM .. which I would assume if I were calculating for myself..

jim

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
If interested, I run a care home for unwanted, unloved cars and campervans .. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ours has been languishing on the drive since round about the last time we saw one another :Eeek: Washed from time to time, it is currently streaked in green / black algae as per the time of year. Visited often to ensure no condensation, small oil heater on, engine run regularly and plugged into electricity.....run all systems just to keep seals lubricated etc, from time to time. We could do with a good groundsman / gardener / handyman just to keep it looking more loved :cry::cry:
Haven't bothered to try to sell it as haven't wanted to lose the dream of travelling about like we used to, and I won't even get what I owe on it, so best plough on :winky:

The little Merc weighs 1760kg. Still haven't found the MAM of the Adria anywhere, but am assuming I could probably tow about 2000kg - will go and check out the VIN plate in daylight. Have B + E, sadly not C1 + E due to arriving back here from the colonies too late for that piece of legislation to apply :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back