LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Looks OK but all of you in any PVC just doesn't look practical.
I don't think uprating to 3850kg would be enough you will need it on the Maxi chassis.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
to6y

to6y

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC...probably!
Exp
Post Corona...
Two adults, two children and two dogs and I would have to say forget it, or any other PVC for that matter, way tooooooo small for your needs.
Very expensive also, classed as a budget Rapido :Eeek:
Spend lots of time looking before spending lots of money regretting.
Norman.

We are deliberately looking for the smallest van that we can squeeze everything into.

Rear lounge allows for 100% day use (useful on worse weather days...however we tend to be out in all weathers), then 100% night use.

Payload I think will be OK with re-plating...bigger problem is practicality of storage space (volume), perhaps okay with towbar and something on the roof.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
to6y

to6y

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC...probably!
Exp
Post Corona...
Alternative is something like

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
@to
Alternative is something like

to6y
I know nothing of either van but your alternative looks by far a better proposition than your Dreamer Van idea.
There is a great guide on the forum by the boss Jim about buying a first van, if nothing else may I suggest that you chat to Minxy Girl about the weight problem you are going to have should you buy a PVC, the Dreamer Van may turn into a nightmare, the very best of luck whatever you decide to do.
Norman.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It is on the Maxi chassis
If that's the case you should be able to uprate it to 4250kg (possibly 4500kg) purely as a paper exercise using a chap I found who does it for half the cost of the usual company, however if you are getting it new the dealer could do that when they first register it saving you the hassle and cost.

Personally though I don't think a PVC for your family and 2 large dogs is ever gonna work - we've got 2 small dogs and one larger one and just 2 adults and we found it tight at times in our 6.36m Globecars.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Dreamer vans are good - they are made on the same production line as Rapido vans.

After much research we ordered a new one with our own factory-fitted spec more than 4 years ago.

Unfortunately, when it arrived at the dealership it was minus the automatic gearbox ordered!!

Had to reject it and was offered a Rapido van with same layout V68, with automatic. Been happy with it ever since.

Everybody saying van not big enough, but depends how you live and use it on holiday. In our camping days we started with big frame tent, but soon realised 2 small Vango Force 10 mountain tents suited us better (same as you, Mum, Dad and 2 kids - but no dogs).

It's also a mindset as far as space is concerned. If your young(ish) it's usually less of an issue.

We've previously owned a coachbuilt Rapido, but we much prefer the agility of the pvc.

Horses for courses, however. Good luck whatever you decide. (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
to6y

to6y

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC...probably!
Exp
Post Corona...
An A Class is in second place but really doesn't appeal, 95% a PVC is the answer.

We plan on using for:
  • one weekend a month most of the year
  • Summer half term
  • Autumn half term
  • 6 weeks over the summer

Advantages:
  • PVC = narrow so good for small lanes and car parks
  • U lounge & front dinette, gives two living area
  • 100% day use, 100% night use...seems to maximise space in such a small van
  • front dinette can still be used when front bed lowered...therefore room for dogs to sleep at night
  • Can park on the street
  • large side door and rear door means easy access to outside
  • loo can be reached by all four at night
  • includes loo and shower...neither will be used if alternative external facilities are available

Disadvantages:
  • No 4x4
  • Have to re-plate...means my wife cannot drive as her license wouldn't allow (may take additional test)
  • Small everything but especially...shower, loo, fridge, water
  • One of the beds is not fixed therefore less comfortable
  • Lack of storage generally

Storage plans:
  • Obviously to be careful with what we carry...
  • No awning
  • Internal
    • clothes
    • toothbrush
    • food
    • pots and pans
  • Garage (limited with U lounge)
    • electric cable
    • hose
    • gas
  • Towbar allows cargo box + 2 bikes or 4 bikes on rear
    • summer hols we'd have 4 bikes
    • rest of the time we'd have cargo box + 2 bikes (for the kids), in box depending on time of year, destination etc
      • wetsuits
      • wellies
      • jackets
      • BBQ
      • ...outdoor stuff we need regular access to
  • Roof storage
    • Box
      • camping table
      • camping chairs
      • tow rope
      • jump leads
      • chocks
      • ...outdoor stuff we don't need regular access to
    • Surf boards
    • Solar - potentially partially covered some of the time by surf boards

Concerns:
  • Volume of storage available internally
  • Rear axle weight limit if carrying towbar cargo box + 2 bikes
  • Lack of roof space for...solar + range of storage
  • Where does "outdoor stuff we need regular access to" listed above get carried when we have 4 bikes rather than cargo box + 2 bikes

Regarding the Dreamer specifically...

• One of only a few PVCs that have seen with all the features I need...U lounge, 4 beds, 4 seats etc
  • Seems higher quality than most other PVCs with these features
--

I'll probably think of other things I'd like to add to this post a few minutes after I can no longer edit it :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
to6y

to6y

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC...probably!
Exp
Post Corona...
If that's the case you should be able to uprate it to 4250kg (possibly 4500kg) purely as a paper exercise using a chap I found who does it for half the cost of the usual company, however if you are getting it new the dealer could do that when they first register it saving you the hassle and cost.

Will get new and get dealer to register initially with higher plate

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
to6y

to6y

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC...probably!
Exp
Post Corona...
Everybody saying van not big enough, but depends how you live and use it on holiday. In our camping days we started with big frame tent, but soon realised 2 small Vango Force 10 mountain tents suited us better (same as you, Mum, Dad and 2 kids - but no dogs).

It's also a mindset as far as space is concerned. If your young(ish) it's usually less of an issue.

We've previously owned a coachbuilt Rapido, but we much prefer the agility of the pvc.

Horses for courses, however. Good luck whatever you decide. (y)

Good to hear, I still consider myself young(ish) LOL.

We too are used to camping and travelling light or more importantly efficiently does not bother us...we've been using little BBQs like <Broken link removed> forever...would never need some massive gas job when out and about for example.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
An A Class is in second place but really doesn't appeal, 95% a PVC is the answer.

We plan on using for:
  • one weekend a month most of the year
  • Summer half term
  • Autumn half term
  • 6 weeks over the summer

Advantages:
  • PVC = narrow so good for small lanes and car parks
  • U lounge & front dinette, gives two living area
  • 100% day use, 100% night use...seems to maximise space in such a small van
  • front dinette can still be used when front bed lowered...therefore room for dogs to sleep at night
  • Can park on the street
  • large side door and rear door means easy access to outside
  • loo can be reached by all four at night
  • includes loo and shower...neither will be used if alternative external facilities are available

Disadvantages:
  • No 4x4
  • Have to re-plate...means my wife cannot drive as her license wouldn't allow (may take additional test)
  • Small everything but especially...shower, loo, fridge, water
  • One of the beds is not fixed therefore less comfortable
  • Lack of storage generally

Storage plans:
  • Obviously to be careful with what we carry...
  • No awning
  • Internal
    • clothes
    • toothbrush
    • food
    • pots and pans
  • Garage (limited with U lounge)
    • electric cable
    • hose
    • gas
  • Towbar allows cargo box + 2 bikes or 4 bikes on rear
    • summer hols we'd have 4 bikes
    • rest of the time we'd have cargo box + 2 bikes (for the kids), in box depending on time of year, destination etc
      • wetsuits
      • wellies
      • jackets
      • BBQ
      • ...outdoor stuff we need regular access to
  • Roof storage
    • Box
      • camping table
      • camping chairs
      • tow rope
      • jump leads
      • chocks
      • ...outdoor stuff we don't need regular access to
    • Surf boards
    • Solar - potentially partially covered some of the time by surf boards

Concerns:
  • Volume of storage available internally
  • Rear axle weight limit if carrying towbar cargo box + 2 bikes
  • Lack of roof space for...solar + range of storage
  • Where does "outdoor stuff we need regular access to" listed above get carried when we have 4 bikes rather than cargo box + 2 bikes

Regarding the Dreamer specifically...

• One of only a few PVCs that have seen with all the features I need...U lounge, 4 beds, 4 seats etc
  • Seems higher quality than most other PVCs with these features
--

I'll probably think of other things I'd like to add to this post a few minutes after I can no longer edit it :)

Good points there but you missed one of the main advantages of a PVC, no damp issues in a steel bodied structure.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
See no reason why you would need a class 7 MOT?!?!
I think he's pulling your leg .... the model name isn't the same as it being designated and registered as a living van! :giggle:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
to6y

to6y

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC...probably!
Exp
Post Corona...
Not sure if the Maxi chassis is the same as the Ducato Heavy chassis? I thought the Maxi chassis was Al-Ko.

I'm no expert but I assume Heavy and Maxi are the same...

Has two chassis "FIAT DUCATO" and "FIAT DUCATO HEAVY"

I think the answer is 4,250...bottom right of this page:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Not sure if the Maxi chassis is the same as the Ducato Heavy chassis? I thought the Maxi chassis was Al-Ko.
There are different versions of the Maxi chassis none of them are Alko, the weights are 3,500kg, 4,005kg and 4,250kg.

It is important to check with the dealer exactly which one the van will be built on so you get the one with the highest possible payload - a check of the vehicle's plate will soon tell you which it is.

Having just had a quick shuftie at the info for the DLV it might not be on the 4250kg maxi as the figure given for the max towing weight (Gross Combination Weight) is 6000, not 6500 which it should be for the heavy Maxi, thus the maximum axle weights will be less.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
There are different versions of the Maxi chassis none of them are Alko, the weights are 3,500kg, 4,005kg and 4,250kg.

It is important to check with the dealer exactly which one the van will be built on so you get the one with the highest possible payload - a check of the vehicle's plate will soon tell you which it is.

Having just had a quick shuftie at the info for the DLV it might not be on the 4250kg maxi as the figure given for the max towing weight (Gross Combination Weight) is 6000, not 6500 which it should be for the heavy Maxi, thus the maximum axle weights will be less.
My Ducato Maxi based Rapido is on the 4250kg (42H) Alko chassis. Does the Ducato Heavy chassis have the Maxi badges on it?

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
My Ducato Maxi based Rapido is on the 4250kg (42H) Alko chassis.
But your's is a coachbuilt, not a PVC. PVCs are built on the whole Fiat van basic structure with the exception of some converters who may change the rear doors for a fixed panel or one who alters the sliding door for a standard hab door, but the rest is as it came from the Fiat factory on all 4 wheels.
Does the Ducato Heavy chassis have the Maxi badges on it?
Yes, the ones I've owned and seen certainly have.

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2011
Chichester,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Wildax Hi Top
Exp
Since 2002
Have you considered a Wildax PVC ? Wiltshire Motorhomes are just down the road from you when they are open. Have you seen this comparison chart of vans with rear lounges ?

D1604BA7-6642-4ABD-9A89-CCB55C634584.png

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back