Refilling after winter draindown (1 Viewer)

Clare

Free Member
Dec 11, 2010
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
10 years
Hi everyone, Can anyone help a damsel in distress. Got Chausson motorhome with gas only op truma water heater/heater. All been drained correctly after frost etc but came to fill up with water to use for a couple of days, have fillled fresh water tank twice with pump on and hot taps open but there is not water coming out taps and no water is getting to the truma boiler. I am fed up now as cant afford loads of bills at dealers. So consequently no water coming out the taps, bit frustrating to say the least. Anybody got any ideas???? Please if you can offer any advice can you email me at clareledwith@hotmail.com as I am still working my way round this great website but am not too computer literate and time is of the essence......i need to get water out of taps!!!
Many many thanks for any help.
Kind regards
Clare:Doh:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
...i need to get water out of taps!!!
Many many thanks for any help.
Kind regards
Clare:Doh:

We have an on/off switch for the pump. Can you hear the pump running ?

You could try carefully sucking a tap or the shower in case of an airlock.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If there is a water leak you should probably hear the pump running with the taps closed.

Daft question - is the Truma dump valve closed? If not, water could be entering the boiler but then draining away before it gets chance to get to the taps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
Have you solved your problem yet Clare or are you still looking for help?

If all sorted can you tell us all what it was, in case we have a similar problem when de winterising.:thumb:

Upvote 0

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Clare
Sound strange, are you getting cold water ?, or just just no hot ?, if your getting the cold your pump is working :thumb:, How did you drain the boiler ? you may have left the dump valve open BUT If that was the case it would empty all your new fresh water out underneath via the pump, BUT you should see that running away, strange that you filled up twice. Pete :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Clare

Free Member
Dec 11, 2010
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
10 years
waterless taps!!!

Hi Peter, thanks for reply.....no, no cold water either!!! Not a drip out of taps. Pump SOUNDS ok, no water leaks anywhere that I can see.....around pump, boiler, underneath camper, under sinks. Was all working fine until I drained all down in snow. Now its warmer thought it could do with a run and you know the rest. Dump valve is UP with a peg on it. When camper filled with water and pressed valve down and no water was released under camper so obviously no water in it. Just read something somewhere about a non return valve......I hate it when I cant fix things!!!!

Thanks for your help,
Kind regards
Clare

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Clare

Free Member
Dec 11, 2010
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
10 years
waterless taps!!!

If there is a water leak you should probably hear the pump running with the taps closed.

Daft question - is the Truma dump valve closed? If not, water could be entering the boiler but then draining away before it gets chance to get to the taps.
Hi Graham,
Funny you should say that.....pump runs with all taps closed but after filling with the dump valve closed with a peg on it, (twice, with taps open turned to hot) I took peg off and pushed vavle in and no water came out boiler.....cant see a water leak anywhere.
I hate it when my camper goes wrong!!!
Kind regards and thanks
Clare

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
is the pump a submersible type...ie...in the tank ?

there usually a little water left in the pump and it could have frozen and split the casing.

same would apply to a remote pump and you would still hear it running.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Clare

Free Member
Dec 11, 2010
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
10 years
No water from taps

is the pump a submersible type...ie...in the tank ?

there usually a little water left in the pump and it could have frozen and split the casing.

same would apply to a remote pump and you would still hear it running.
Hi Pappajohn
Not submersible pump, pump under sink, can still hear it running but no signs of leaks. Think Ive checked everywhere......
Thanks and kind regards
Clare:Smile:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Pappajohn
Not submersible pump, pump under sink, can still hear it running but no signs of leaks. Think Ive checked everywhere......
Thanks and kind regards

then it may be the diaphram has split due to frost.

if it has split, there will be no alternating vacuum/pressure so the valves wont open and close yet the motor will still work without leaks.

just looking at all avenues. :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Clare

Free Member
Dec 11, 2010
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
10 years
then it may be the diaphram has split due to frost.

if it has split, there will be no alternating vacuum/pressure so the valves wont open and close yet the motor will still work without leaks.

just looking at all avenues. :thumb:
Thanks Pappajohn,
My son in law going to check as many avenues as he can tomorrow, he has a caravan with truma so knows a bit!!
Cheers

Upvote 0

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Peter, thanks for reply.....no, no cold water either!!! Not a drip out of taps. Pump SOUNDS ok, no water leaks anywhere that I can see.....around pump, boiler, underneath camper, under sinks. Was all working fine until I drained all down in snow. Now its warmer thought it could do with a run and you know the rest. Dump valve is UP with a peg on it. When camper filled with water and pressed valve down and no water was released under camper so obviously no water in it. Just read something somewhere about a non return valve......I hate it when I cant fix things!!!!

Thanks for your help,
Kind regards
Clare

Hi Clare
You have got me thinking I have not tried mine yet after draining down, going away soon so better have a look. I hope yours troubles are sorted soon. Peter :Doh::Doh::Doh:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Pappajohn,
My son in law going to check as many avenues as he can tomorrow, he has a caravan with truma so knows a bit!!
Cheers
if the pump is accessible then remove the inlet hose and fit a short hose with the end in a jamjar of water and turn on the pump.
if its working it will empty the jar in a few seconds.

if it does, you have a leak between pump and tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Clare

Free Member
Dec 11, 2010
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
10 years
if the pump is accessible then remove the inlet hose and fit a short hose with the end in a jamjar of water and turn on the pump.
if its working it will empty the jar in a few seconds.

if it does, you have a leak between pump and tank.

Thanks again, will tell son in law!!
Regards

Upvote 0

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
You would think any leak would have manifested somewhere by now, with all the attempts of trying to get water out of the taps. If the pumps operating as it should, its sending water to somewhere. Nothing dripping out of the van? No squelching of the carpets anywhere? My monies on the pump being split.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Now we know it's a positive displacement pump rather than a submersible, an air lock is highly unlikely ..
The pump in my RV was a long way from and above the level of the tank and even when run dry had no problem re priming..

As already said, it looks like the pump diaphragm is kaputt ..

If it's a Shurflo (not sure about other makes) you can buy a repair kit rather than a costly new pump. Most caravan dealers stock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Clare

Free Member
Dec 11, 2010
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
10 years
All the funsters

Hi everyone, just like to say a big thanks for all your your help with no water coming out of my taps...... looks at the moment like it is going to need a new pump and that the diaphragm prob split in the freeze!!

Special thanks to Pappajohn for that info!!!!!

Gonna take a chance and order one anyway not bad price on ebay £50 all in. Always good to have a spare......
Thanks again all
regards

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Clare

Free Member
Dec 11, 2010
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
10 years
Have you solved your problem yet Clare or are you still looking for help?

If all sorted can you tell us all what it was, in case we have a similar problem when de winterising.:thumb:

Hi capinpugwash!
Looks like the diaphragm has split in the pump so no valves opening. Thanks to Pappajohn for this info...... guess there must have been some drops of water in pump when i drained down......live and learn!!! New pump not too pricey on ebay £50 all in, so not as bad as I thought.
Happy motorhoming!!

Upvote 0

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I would guess its quite difficult to get every last drop of water from a system, or pump in particular, given theres always likely to be a few dregs of water in the bottom of the tank, So it could all boil down to freeze prevention inside the van. Im glad i took the measures i have to stop this, but ill not know if ive succeeded till i fill it all up again. I know the pump still spins - but is it still intact? The wait is killing me.:cry:

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I would guess its quite difficult to get every last drop of water from a system, or pump in particular, given theres always likely to be a few dregs of water in the bottom of the tank, So it could all boil down to freeze prevention inside the van. Im glad i took the measures i have to stop this, but ill not know if ive succeeded till i fill it all up again. I know the pump still spins - but is it still intact? The wait is killing me.:cry:

If your Avantgarde is anything like our Autoquest, the submersible pump is mounted above the bottom of the tank such that any residual water after draining down is below pump level. I would guess that that helps.

As I posted elsewhere on Thursday, all our systems worked when I tested them - and that''s without any heat in the van through all of the cold snap.

Let's hear it for Explorer vans :thumb:::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If your Avantgarde is anything like our Autoquest, the submersible pump is mounted above the bottom of the tank such that any residual water after draining down is below pump level. I would guess that that helps.

When you say 'mounted', is it fixed to the tank somehow? Ive never looked inside, so dont know. I guess i thought it was just dangling on its lead. :Doh:

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When you say 'mounted', is it fixed to the tank somehow? Ive never looked inside, so dont know. I guess i thought it was just dangling on its lead. :Doh:

Yes, it is fixed to the side of the tank.

The only reason I know is that we ran out of water immediately before leaving a site one weekend. As it was November I opened the drain tap when we got home, just in case of frost, and was surprised at the amount of water that ran out from a supposedly empty tank - so had a quick look/feel round inside the tank.

I can't remember what the mounting is like, presumably some sort of clip to allow for replacement if necessary. Also I haven't bothered to see if the height can be adjusted at all - ain't really bust so won't attempt a fix :Smile:

Upvote 0

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for that insight.
It explains why after 'draining down', i then got a load more water out after going for a run. I can only drain the tank through the taps; it has a drain tap, but theres no way to access it without taking the wardrobe to bits. If the pump is up off the tank base, its never really going to be properly empty. My 'surplus' exited out of the boiler dump valve, probably after working along to it by gravity/movement.
Next time i have cause to get near the tank, ill look in and see just how far up off the bottom the pump is. The only plus for the set up re. freezing, is that the tank sits well up from the van floor in the wardrobe - and, the pump is up out of the remaining water inside it. cheers :thumb:.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The fresh water tank in our van is underneath the front dinette seat and has a convoluted hose ending in a tap for drainage (similar to the arrangement for the grey tank). The hose is clipped to the van underneath so it is easy to access for drainage.

The water heater is below the wardrobe so it is simply a matter of lifting out the loose base and operating the manual dump valve to drain it.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back